Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt Brass

Boolit Master

45 Colt Brass

I have Starline 45 Colt brass that I use for most of my loading for a long time
    But after reloading some of it a LOT of times
    I have had to retire some of it

So till I can get another batch from Starline

Who makes good 45 Colt brass ?
    This new batch of cases will mainly be used for lite to moderate loads out of the Redhawk and Blackhawk

As I have saved some new Starline 45 Colt brass for hunting loads

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Never used any Starline 45 Colt. Mine is either R-P, CCI or Winchester. I bought some range brass at a gun show and had to trim it to length because it was too long. Otherwise never retired any cases.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Most of what I have is Winchester. Some of that brass is over 30 years old.
    I have a few Starline cases that is not very old.

I usually shoot them until they split. Most of my loads are 8 gr of Unique. But in the last couple of years are 7.2 gr of unique. I use them in a Redhawk and an old Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    In general,, as noted,, unless the brass is splitting or separating,, I keep on using it for general purposes. And you've already mentioned keeping some aside for hunting & "serious" shooting.

When it comes to brands of brass,, I usually prefer to stay with well known brands, mostly American made,, for all of my handloading. A few top quality foreign brands are also very good.
    But the "bargain ammo" brands are usually weeded out of my personal use bunch. Unless it's an odd caliber that brass is harder to find. Then I keep it until I find better brass & in a sufficient quantity for my purposes.

So,, Winchester, Federal, Remington, or CCI would be a good choice.

HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,, there is another brass manufacturer I've seen at SHOT,, that had/has .45 Colt brass. The company is "Top Brass" and I've seen some of their stuff out & about. It seems to be pretty good. But my experience is also very limited.

Boolit Master
    Mine is either Winchester or R-P - I have zero Starline brass in 45 Colt (and probably no need to buy any in the future).

Boolit Master
    To some extent, brass is brass. For "standard pressure" loadings where many uses is desired, annealing the neck region would likely do more for you than trying to pick a "good" selection based on brand.

Boolit Master
    Go check out Diamond K brass.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    RP didn't like the Ruger BH or either of 2 M92 Rossi . It's fine as warm 45 S&W trimmed to 1.105 .

FC I didn't ever have enough to form an opinion on.

Win was my first 250 from factory, 40 cycles no failures other than needing to have the mouths annealed about 20 cycles and they are down to 1.116 case length . I loaded most of those 40 cycles with 250-265 gr bullets and 1968 lot of Unique giving me 1050 fps in the 7.5" BH .

All of the above will eventually be shortened to 1.105 for 45 "Short Colts" as it lacks the full rim dia for S&W .

I have an even split on the new brass of Starline and Winchester procured circa 2015-16 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I occasionally have to toss a .45 Colt because it split. I talked to gunsmith who also does cowboy shooting so he is familiar with the .45 Colt. He said the splitting issue has more to do with the caliber than it does with any specific brand of brass. I usually have to scrap one or two pieces of brass after every match. I've lost track of how many times each batch has been reloaded, so I just let the brass tell me when it is done.

Boolit Master

Pretty good advise above. Shoot it till it splits, if your running easy going loads that brass could out last all of us. Starline usually runs 45 Colt brass every few months. They are taking back orders now, get on the list and if they have a partial order, they'll send it to you.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    This is near and dear to my thrifty heart!
    How many times can brass be reloaded?
    When I run out of primers maybe?

I have been retiring .44mag brass at 30 cycles.
    (Good to keep a log so the boss knows you have been busy)
    A hundred or so Starline have not stretched at all
    Other brands have sometimes split necks but I don't flare them as much anymore.
    I run middle of the road loads, wish I got out more...
    A old guy at work had me hacksaw several cases lengthwise with a fine saw
    buffed smooth micrometered, was a huge difference in thickness in the middles
    like a lot of 0.0001's but I have never never say never split one.

How much is too much? When it's enough?
    Now there's a poll for Wilco- how much is enough?

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with Federal brass. I have some old Winchester brass that I load light loads as it's getting thin. Federal is my hunting brass.

I've got a fair amount of RP, and it's OK.

I think the flare and roll crimp is hard on brass.
    The more ya do it, the more work hardened the case mouth gets and more prone it is to splitting.
    I don't bother with doing it for .38s, but more valuable ones like the .45 Colt,
    ya might want to look into annealing them every so often like folks do for the expensive rifle cases.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a range of .45 Colt Blackhawks that had large chamber dimensions. I'm not talking about chamber mouth dimensions, but the actual chamber dimensions being a bit on the loose side. I could certainly be wrong here and I can't remember any specifics, so take this with a big grain of salt.

My point is that is that you may want to measure your chamber dimensions. Excessively large chambers will allow the brass to stretch out to seal the chamber more than they'd otherwise need to, and that brass would have significantly reduced life.

Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a range of .45 Colt Blackhawks that had large chamber dimensions. I'm not talking about chamber mouth dimensions, but the actual chamber dimensions being a bit on the loose side. I could certainly be wrong here and I can't remember any specifics, so take this with a big grain of salt.

My point is that is that you may want to measure your chamber dimensions. Excessively large chambers will allow the brass to stretch out to seal the chamber more than they'd otherwise need to, and that brass would have significantly reduced life.

Just a thought.
    Also old Colts (and probably S&Ws, too). I think that a lot of the issues that people experience with .45 Colt revolvers stem from oversize chambers. Custom revolversmiths wouldn't be rechambering .44 Mag cylinders to .45 Colt, otherwise.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    This is near and dear to my thrifty heart!
    How many times can brass be reloaded?
    When I run out of primers maybe?

I have been retiring .44mag brass at 30 cycles.
    (Good to keep a log so the boss knows you have been busy)
    A hundred or so Starline have not stretched at all
    Other brands have sometimes split necks but I don't flare them as much anymore.
    I run middle of the road loads, wish I got out more...
    A old guy at work had me hacksaw several cases lengthwise with a fine saw
    buffed smooth micrometered, was a huge difference in thickness in the middles
    like a lot of 0.0001's but I have never never say never split one.

How much is too much? When it's enough?
    Now there's a poll for Wilco- how much is enough?
    As others have said, it's good until it splits. That's how I determine the life of .40 S&W. Nothing bad happens at .40 pressure levels when the brass splits. It usually splits in the middle of the case rather than at the mouth. I have .45 ACP that has been loaded so many times that the headstamps are battered beyond reading but those were never loaded hot. There is no set number of times that straight walled pistol brass can be reloaded.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I have some Federal 44 mag brass that dates to 1977, when I bought my first Ruger Super Blackhawk. I lost a few pieces (less than 5) to poor collection methods, but have never split one of those cases. I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded with mid-range loads holding a fairly hefty charge of Blue Dot under a 250 Keith SWC.

45 Colt does seem to split down the side more than anything else - for whatever reason, the cracks don't generally extend to the mouth.

If it splits in the middle rather than the mouth, I'd think that tells of a fat cylinder, or sizing it down too much.
    Years ago, I had some .45ACPs & a few .357s do that.
    From the bulge where the boolit was at the top/middle of the case, I figured that was my problem.
    I got a little less 'aggressive' with the sizing die and the issue went away.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Starline brass is probably the best brass you can buy.
    My experience with 45 Colt revolvers is the chamber dimensions in some cylinders tend to be generous. Some of my brass in my Bisley come out looking like a pilsner glass.
    If I stick to standard or slight hot reloads brass life is very good and as others have said shoot the brass till it splits.

Boolit Master

Wolffs western traders has some winchester 45 colt for sale , shows as in stock for 29.95 bag of 100 , if I did not have enough I would order from there .

https://the4570book.com/shop/ols/pro...---100-per-bag