Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lead boolits and Revolver Cylinders

Lead boolits and Revolver Cylinders

Just a brief note to remind you that when you reload cast bullets that are larger than jacket, you may have to use an M-die expander to stretch the case enough in order to not bulge the case, while at the same time fitting the cylinder. Then once bullet is seated it will need to be crimped, I use a Lee FCD, just enough to hold but also enough to bring the case back down to size that will allow the cartridges to kerplunk into the cylinder and fall out freely. That’s what’s going on in this picture on the reloading bench today, making sure the finished cartridge is of correct size to fit the cylinder without stoppage. S&W 1905 3rd Change 4” barrel in 32WCF or 32/20.

Boolit Master

I love the Lee Factory Crimp Dies and use them a lot. However, for revolver rounds that use lead bullets I punch out the carbide ring. My cast bullets are large and often show some bulge on the case, which works just fine. The carbide die will squeeze down the OD and create undersized lead bullets.

I guess that’ll work, but for a bottleneck cartridge it could cause enough pressure to crumple the case, as my experience has shown. Also, I size bullets for a specific diameter and don’t want them swaged down. The 32-20 has been a true reloading learning experience. Glad your process works for you and you found a work around too.