MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Reloading Precautions!

Vendor Sponsor

Reloading Precautions!

As more and more of you are begining to make and/or reload custom bullets made from brass cases I thought it may be wise to bring up a bit of safty reminders and precations when it comes to reloading any new bullet that you have not previoulsy tested.

Many of you here have shot such bullets quite sucessfully and are certainly welcome to chime in. I have experience with the BTS 44 cal 255 grain and BTS 40 cal 190 grain bullets made from cartridge brass. I can say that these bullets have performed very well for me. These bullets tend to be longer then standard or similar weight comercial bullets of same caliber and weight because of the solid brass base and rim at base of these bullets. So of course it will take up a bit more space in the case. What effect if any this will have on pressure I will leave to the experts.

What I have done and have recamended to the many that have shot my custom bullets is to use a starting published load for the next higher weight bullet. Example 265 for the 44 cal 255 grain BTS bullet and 200 grain for the 40 cal 190grain BTS bullets. I know not many loads are published for the 200 grain 40 cal so better use your best judgement with the 180 published data and start low with the published data. I would also recamend a slower burning powder when loading these heavier bullets. Once I thought about it a while and put it in terms I could understand it just makes sence to not use a fast burning powder behind a heavy bullet. Ever try and flick a bowling ball real hard and fast with your finger (fast powder/heavy bullet)? Me neither! How about shot put a wiffle ball (slow powder light bullet)?

Some have posted concern over high density loads when it comes to powder space avialable and the effect of compressed loads. I just don't see the problem with compressed loads as long as you are still within safe published data for compairable weight bullets with slow burning powder. Matter of fact the 44 auto mag cartridge (only 44 I have and same size as 44 mag without rim) with W296 or H110 is said to perform best when compresed and the powder is not addvised to be shot in reduced loads.

I am currently using BlueDot in my 40S&W carbine and I'm sure these loads are also compressed a bit under the 190 grain bullet but yet did not show any signs of pressure in my gun.

With a bit of standard reloading precautions and maybe some slower powders when used with these slightly bigger bullets I would imagine all of you will get very good results from these bullets.

I welcome any comments or knowledge on these suggestions I have mentioned above. Above all I wish everyone many thousands of rounds of safe enjoyable shooting.

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Thats always a good idea to start low and work up slowly! In the 44 mag, in MY GUNS I havent had any issues. But as always your milage may varry.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

not to tell you what to do but if you use reloading manual, mine run from 1968-now; i load 12 of 231 with 240 swc in 44 mag