WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger 77 or CZ in .22 Hornet

Boolit Master
    I've had a few Hornets in my lifetime !

The first was a nice old Winchester Model 43 that shot well enough . Next I got an early Kimber 82 that shot a tad better . Then I picked up a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 that was made in 1938 . The Model 70 would drive tacks and with a Leupold Vari XII 4-12AO weighed about 10 pounds .

When Ruger brought the 77/22 out in the Hornet in the HB stainless laminated model I was able to shoot one and work up some loads . To be honest it did alright but it didn't do enough to impress me . Just this past wednesday I got the chance to shoot a CZ527 in 22 Hornet with a Burris 4.5-14 on top shooting factory Remington ammo . That one would keep factory ammo inside 3/4 MOA .

So if I were choosing between the Ruger 77/22 and the CZ527 I'd have to go with the 527 !

Now I do happen to have a nice used Ruger #1B in 22 Hornet I've not yet had a chance to work with . So that could possibly be another way to go !

I might add the little CZ527 Hornet I shot this past wednesday is only the third CZ I've ever fired . the guy that owns the 527 also has a pair of 550's and both of those shoot way better then I can hold them . But then they happen to be a 375 H&H MAG and a 505 Gibbs !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 04-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

Smile

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!.... that's a three shot group off the bench with a full throttle 505 Gibbs. Gives me headache just thinking about it.

To do some justice to the CZ 22 Hornet I used to have. I probably just had a bad one. Really no problem with function and feed- just the accuracy wasn't there. It reminded me of most the CZ/ BRNO guns. Obvious good metal and good, very strong design (stock was so-so). No cheap short cuts, but as per normal, the machining was a little rough. Too bad about the accuracy, I liked the gun.

Boolit Man

Cz

Having shot samples of both I would have to recommend a CZ over a Ruger. So another vote for CZ.