MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 77 or CZ in .22 Hornet

Ruger 77 or CZ in .22 Hornet

Hi:

I am thinking of buying a .22 Hornet and would like opinions on witch would shoot better a Ruger 77 or CZ in .22 Hornet.

Thanks,

Terry

Boolit Master
    Just to make your decision a little harder, take a look at the Savage M40. Bit heavy, single shot, but nice on the bags. Accutrigger. Good price. I love mine, very accurate.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Terry,
    Which CZ? They made the 452 (a wonderful, trim little action that I think was made for the Hornet class of cartridges) and the Model 2 Fox, which was mainly for .222/223 class cartridges, but then also chambered it in .22Hornet.

Having said all that, the Ruger 77/22Hornet is a hard rifle to pass up. Not much bigger than a 22 Magnum (it is the Ruger .22 Magnum action, isn't it?).
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Banned

Ive have no experience with the cz but my ruger will shoot 3/4s of a inch at a 100 yards with loads it likes. Now im talking jacketed bullets here. Ive never shot cast out of it.

In Remembrance

My Ruger 22 Hornet does very well with jacketed bullets, and I'm refining some cast loads that look very promising.. 231 and 2400 are the most promising powders so far with the 225-438 boolit.

CZ452 is a rimfire. CZ527 is the small centerfire action. Fox action is out of print.

All else being equal, I'd take the CZ in a heart beat. My experience with Ruger rifles has been disappointing while EVERY CZ rifle I've ever owned has been excellent in every way.... and I've owned several Rugers plus about a dozen CZ's.

Banned
    I'd put money on a CZ outshooting a Ruger in the 22 Hornet caliber. I've see way too many Ruger hornets that shot bad and with lots of problems. I've seen them with over sized chambers, with chambers not concentric to the bore, face of the receiver not square, and bolt not square. Nope, no way I'd buy one. My friend bought a heavy barrel stainless Ruger and wasn't too happy when my plain Jane CZ, sporter outshot it. He shot my CZ so it's his claim also, not just mine. For jacketed mine loves the Hornady Amax over a good stiff load of W296. With cast it likes the NEI 55 grain over 11 grains of H4198.

Boolit Master
    Bro-in-Law has a heavy stainless laminate Ruger. Fun gun.
    I've never grouped it and I'm not sure he has.
    I DO know that it is VERY hard on Blackbirds at 100 yards (give or take) with V-Maxes & 296.
    Though you may be more particular than minute of blackbird.

Boolit Master
    Although my experience with CZ's does not include a Hornet, I do have some with the Rugers in that caliber. If I had to choose, it would be the CZ. I hear of more complaints on the Rugers than the CZ brand. If the CZ is a set trigger model, (most are), it will save you some money if the Ruger needs a trigger job, (quite likely).

Boolit Master

My Ruger shoots J-bullets better than cast- so far, but not by much. I like it very much, a bit heavy (Model #K77/22VHZ) for caliber.
    I have never shot one of the CZ's, but much has been said here that they are real shooters.

About the only thing I really dislike about the Ruger is having to fit the rounds to the clip rather than the chamber. Some of the J-bullet profiles (40 gr. ballistic tips) are too long for the clip and have to be seated too deeply giving less than optimal accuracy. Same with some of the heavier cast profiles (RCBS 22-55-SP). It seems to work best with the 40-50 gr. cast and the 30 to 35 gr. J-bullets.

I am considering a bolt action in 221 Fireball- Remington makes one now!
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 04-08-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Hmmm, I like the 221 idea as an alternative to the Hornet- fine cartridge that was completely forgotten until recently. I've had 3 different Hornets including a CZ. The CZ (BRNO) was not the best shooter. The most unlikely one shot the best by far! Uncanny accuracy. It is a light contour 10" TC Contender. Still have the 10" barrel. Put a Hornet heavy carbine barrel on the receiver along with a new butt and forearm. Now in carbine form it doesn't shoot as well as it did with the 10" light weight in pistol form! Go figure

I have a .22 Ruger Hornet and put in hours to tighten up the bolt wobble, made a new harder pin to hold the bolt halves together, glassed the action and still couldn't get the groups I wanted.

Rebarreled it to .17 ackley hornet...it averages 1/2" @ 100yds with some loads going down to the 1/4" c-t-c at 100 yards. I bought the Ruger for the faster twist to shoot pointed 40 grainers.

I'd get the CZ because they are just a better design.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master
    Ceee Zeee for Me!

I don't have experience with the Hornet cartridge but I have a 527 American in .223 and it's a GEM!!!!

I would also look at the .221 Furball over the Hornet ... better brass and you can load it down or at specs. The criticisim I have heard about the Hornet casing is that they are thin and a little fragile.

Three 44s

The closest cartridges I have to the Hornet are .222 Remington (700 Rem.) and .223 Remington. My .223 is a CZ-527 and I have yet to finalize a load for it. It presently has a Weaver V-24 scope on it. A couple of weeks ago I tried 10 loads in 3 shot groups at 104 yards.... the distance to our target frame on the range. I used the Sierra 53 grain Matchking bullet and different powders. The best group was sub-1/2 MOA while the worst was about 1.3". Later, I'll begin working around the loads that gave the best groups. My favorite varmint bullet is the 55 grain Hornady SX so I'll work up a load for it too.

My other centerfire CZ was a model 600 in .270 Winchester and it was quite accurate. I've owned a dozen or more .22RF CZ's and without exception they would shoot 1/2 inch - or better - groups at 50yards. My favorite .22 is probably the full stock 452. It's handy and a tack driver.

Boolit Grand Master
    The CZ-527 in 22 Hornet has a pretty good reputation for being accurate "as found". My sole example in Ruger 77RH was not impressive. If I go 22 Hornet again, it will be with a CZ variant. I replaced the Hornet with a Ruger 77RC in 223, and it has been an unalloyed delight--small, accurate, and Marie and the girls love the thing. The 16.5" barrel is a little bit blasty, but that's not an issue for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have owned/shot/hunted both with a Ruger M77/22H (sporter) and a CZ-527H Lux mini-Mauser.

Both need special, brand-specific rings ( I used Ruger rings & Burris/CZ rings).

I liked the CZ better, mostly because the Lux had much better wood than the peanut-butter looking standard CZ's (and Rugers).

The accuracy from both was pretty even/equal, as was the handling ( I used the same Leupold 2-7x28 scope on both).

Both use detachable mags, which didn't present the problem to me that it does to handloaders for the Hornet - the lengths not accepting some bullets, etc.

I found the protruding CZ magazine objectionable, so I had mine shortened to a flush magazine - but CZ now offers much the same thing as their M1 model.

The CZ isn't available, AFAIK, with a bull/target weight barrel, like the Ruger/Hornet, if that floats your boat.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Hi:

I want to thank of of you for your responce. It has been very enlighting.
    Thanks,

Terryt

Boolit Master
    I have owned a lot of ruger rifles over the years (more than 20) and still own three. The three I still own are all good shooters but I could not say that of all the rugers I have owned, In fact their track record with me is rather poor to the point that I no longer will look at one to buy. CZ on the other hand is relatively new to me as I only own 7 of them Three RF and 4 CF. My track record with them is perfect in that they all shoot like custom match rifles that cost a lot more. My latest one is a 527 in 7.62X39. Right out of the box it prints MOA groups with cheap steel cased Wolf ammo, With my hand loads it shoots 1/2 moa groups, The same is true of all my CF CZs. A 22 hornet is in the planning stage for my birthday present to me and it will be a CZ 527. By the way I have owned two rugers in 22 hornet and the best I ever got them to shoot was a little over 1 moa. The most accurate 22 hornet I ever owned was an old Savage 340. That rifle was scary accurate Like I could litterally drive tacks at 50 yards with it and shoot five shot 200 yard groups of less than an inch all in a rifle that cost me $75 used. I wish I still had it but it went down the street many years ago.

i have a cz527 in 221 firebal. very cool little rifle with a sweet set trigger. mine shoots b.t.'s or v-max pills in the 40gr weight very well with imr4198 and lilgun. easy to keep 5 shots under an inch. i have never shot cast through it YET!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7