Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: new RANCH DOG mold casting small boolits???

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I spoke too soon. . . .

About 1/2 of the bullets from my mold are .006" to .008" out of round. Yes, the mold halves were closed. Mine's going back, too. I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe.

Banned
    "I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe"

Either that or they were cut just before or just after the long holiday weekend of the fourth....or on a monday or a friday, or by someone who simply did not give a flying four letter word. What these molds are casting from the results I have seen are apalling, as well as unexcusable, I hope this is not a sign of things to come with other mold buys. I am going to really scrutinize the 358-180 molds when they arrive here, before I send them out.. if there is any trouble I will report it to the buyers, and if consensus says they will all go back as one unit, hopefully I am preparing myself for something thet will not be, but you never know...shtuff like this could cost lee a ton of business, but maybe they do not need our business...I really feel for Jeff, as I know how I would feel in his situation, it is just bad all around. Lee Precision, that is starting to look like an oxymoron, as this is not the first time they have not given a rats ass about the customer....I was really looking forward to mooching some of them boolits from Jeffs mold dammit...I just hope that they are willing to fix all of them, sure seems like it would be cheaper to do it right the first time, but what in the hell do I know about how to run a business..? I am still one who believes that if you sell a great product and care about the customer things will work out, Yeah I am that ignorant...The rules of commerce have apparently changed from when I learned them in school, and it wasn't ALL that long ago, I guess even the laws of supply and demand have changed in the last 15 years or so...
    Michael

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire
    Mine hasn't shown up yet either. I don't see anyone in Calif that has theirs. Will try mine out for sure before sending back.
    Not here yet either. The undersize problem might work for my 44-40 based .44 Special EMF M92. One step at a time I guess. I have to wait on that EMF .44 Magnum anyway, but I still want the mold.

Waiting in a big way to see if I can get a crimp, OAL, powder combo with this mold that will give me something fun out of the M92.....
    Last edited by Poohgyrr; 07-16-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Mea culpa

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942
    About 1/2 of the bullets from my mold are .006" to .008" out of round. Yes, the mold halves were closed. Mine's going back, too. I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe.
    The mold halves were not closed. This morning I looked with a better light behind the seam, and sure enough . . . little chunks of lead were holding the nose ends apart. My apology to the guy on the lathe. . . .

"Moderator Emeritus"

Going back to Lee !!!!!!!

I got my mold yesterday, and got to cast about a hundred today. I picked 6 at random and measured them, the bottom band is .432X.429 thru .429X.426, top band is .429X.427 thru .427X.426 and the body bands are .429>. I pushed some throught my Lee .430 sizer and the out of round really shows up. The body bands aren't even touched.

The nose is the same as the Lee 310-430-RF. I am not happy at all. My Winchester 444 only needs .430 but my Redhawk needs .432.

Any one have a sample complaint letter I could use? Mine would be anything but diplomatic at this point. I'll send it back and HOPE they get it right. I'm also including a couple of the original 2 cavity Ranch Dog bullets so they can see what they are supposed to look like when done.

I'm in on 2 other group buys right now, and hope to have better luck with them.

krag35
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Want to make a complaint letter? Try this. Gobeldygook and confusion at your fingertips.

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

If you don't like the first one, click on the back button, and have it do another one. I've had lots of fun with this, over the years.

Retired to South Carolina for the grandkids!

Thumbs up

I don't think I'll use this complaint letter thingy with Lee, but it is too good not to be used somewhere!!!

John
    Winchester ‘92s & 94s

“President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”

"Life brings us sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi
    Want to make a complaint letter? Try this. Gobeldygook and confusion at your fingertips.

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

If you don't like the first one, click on the back button, and have it do another one. I've had lots of fun with this, over the years.

My complaint about Lee Reloading
    When assessing Lee Reloading's whinges, one need not resort to vicious name-calling or opprobrious epithets. One need only present the facts. To organize my discussion, I suggest that we take one step back in the causal chain and view the realms of diabolism and academicism not as two opposing poles, but as two continua.

If you ever ask Lee Reloading to do something, you can bet that your request will get lost in the shuffle, unaddressed, ignored, and rebuffed. If Lee Reloading wants to complain, it should have an argument. It shouldn't just throw out the word "antiprestidigitation", for example, and expect us to be scared. It is painful to write such truisms, but Lee Reloading's a psychologically defective organization. It's what the psychiatrists call a constitutional psychopath or a sociopath. When a friend wants to drive inebriated, you try to stop him. Well, Lee Reloading is drunk with power, which is why we must provide a positive, confident, and assertive vision of humanity's future and our role in it.

Lee Reloading's votaries are not, technically, oppressive hoodlums, but rather clumsy stool pigeons. I, not being one of the many insipid hellions of this world, suspect that there is a small -- yet not entirely insignificant -- difference. The first lies that Lee Reloading told us were relatively benign. Still, they have been progressing. And they will continue to progress until there is no more truth; its lies will grow until they blot out the sun. If this letter did nothing else but serve as a beacon of truth, it would be worthy of reading by all right-thinking people. However, this letter's role is much greater than just to reveal the truth about Lee Reloading's declamations. I would like to go on, but I do have to keep this letter short. So I'll wrap it up by saying that Lee Reloading's spokesmen explain everything through the lens of Lee Reloading's cuckoo and ideologically loaded asseverations.

Boolit Master

Huh??
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
    Huh??
    I used the link that Ric posted.

Boolit Man

Another not happy

Same thing as the rest of you. At least the problem seems to be universal throughout all the moulds. .428-.430 the largest dia. outside of the rear band with the right alloy mix. It goes back tomorrow. Thanks for the order #.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    this will be interesting to see how long it takes to have this mold thing corrected by Lee Precision.i made up my mind about the fat 44 deal i ran.when i get the molds back i will cast a few,then measure them and if they are A-OK i will ship them out to their new homes.i am expecting to get those molds somtime soon

glad to see you guys are sending the molds back

Boolit Buddy
    My plans for this autumn was to hunt moose with the new Ranch Dog bullet, but I dont think that I will recive a new mold that drop bullets of the right size before the hunt starts.
    It seems like it has to be my old 350 grs bullets that have to do the job this autumn to.
    But they arent bad either.

I will go to the postoffice tomorrow and send my molds away!

Boolit Buddy
    I called Lee today and spoke to Pat. I told him who I was and why I was calling. He was pleasant and said to send it to his attention.
    I asked how long it would take to turn them around I had planned on hunting with this boolit this year. He said they would be returned in time for hunting season as this was a repair. I hope that is true.

Jeff, I would just like to thankyou for handling this headache and providing all the information we need to get this buy corrected.

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Central, Pa. along the Breeches Newville, Pa
    I got my mold today. I am not even going to cast anything with it,just going to send it back. Does anyone have a phone number for Lee Reloading? Jeff thanks for all you have done. Bob

Ranch Dog

Would it be worthwhile to check in with Lee on our outstanding 350 Gr buy and verify that they are doing the necessary quality assurance?

AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bigscot
    I called Lee today and spoke to Pat. I told him who I was and why I was calling. He was pleasant and said to send it to his attention.
    I asked how long it would take to turn them around I had planned on hunting with this boolit this year. He said they would be returned in time for hunting season as this was a repair. I hope that is true.

Jeff, I would just like to thankyou for handling this headache and providing all the information we need to get this buy corrected.

Bigscot

Even though this is being treated as a repair surely they are going to cut them from new blocks wont they?? Sorry if the question seems silly but im completely ignorant when it comes to machining and such. Bigscott, I hope it is trues too!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Steve,

I believe Pat said that they were going to cut them from new stock.

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Master
    Mould got here yesterday. First thing I notice is that the meplat is too big. Going to send mine back along with the rest. Got no problems with Lee. If everytime we made a mistake someone busted our chops, most of us would be eating thru straws. I think it's a bummer but am glad they are taking care of things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by azshootercastlead
    Ranch Dog

Would it be worthwhile to check in with Lee on our outstanding 350 Gr buy and verify that they are doing the necessary quality assurance?

AZ
    It's already been done.
    Michael