WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 16 Guage Round Ball

Boolit Bub

16 Gauge Round Ball

Hi folks - just got finished reading the threads about 12 gauge round ball - anyone tried 16 gauge?
    Last edited by cr17; 03-29-2010 at 08:29 AM.

The availiblility of a 16 ga roundball is limited. Lyman used to make a 648 mold but discontinued. You can either order them cast through a ML supplier like Track of the Wolf or buy a semi custom mold as from NEI. Otherwise they would work similar to a 12 bore. The 662 Lyman mold available would be bore diameter.

Northmn

Boolit Buddy
    Are these for a rilfed bore, or smoothbore?
    Greg

Boolit Bub
    Greg - these are for my 16x16x9.3x72R drilling so smooth bore. 16 guage slugs are very rare here and I suspect that the original load for this old gun was a round ball combination'

Boolit Buddy
    After you determine exactly what diameter round ball you need, begin a relationship with this gentleman in faraway exotic England:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/index.htm

He makes an absolutely splendid round ball mold in nearly any size you wish. Each is one off and will be labelled with your name and the diameter. I have one in .480" and it is a work of art. Turn around is measured in weeks, as in three. My mold cost less than $40 delivered. You will have to supply your own handles. Lyman small or Lee 6-banger handles do fine.

Yes, I like the mold he made for me.

Gerry N.

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of. I have been shooting 16 ga. balls inside shotcups in my 12 ga.

I know that isn't what you are looking for but the ball is 0.662" for bore size and are readily available.

You should slug your bore to determine diameter and also check choke constriction if there is one. If not the 0.662" ball naked should work fine assuming your bore is no more than a thou or two smaller.

If you have a choke then you need a ball that will fit through it at the tightest point. In that case Jeff Tanner's moulds may be the way to go. As mentioned, he will make what you need.

I have had pretty good results to 50 yards or a little better using 0.735" naked ball on a hard card wad column in my 12 ga. so the 0.662" ball naked should provide similar results in a 16 ga. smoothbore. I can usually depend on about 4" groups at 50 yards from the smoothbore.

Longbow

Boolit Master

as Gerry said Jeffs molds are top they are custom made to what you want and are brass . I got one and the second ball dropped perfect
    as Longbow said make sure the ball will pass through choke with a light tap

Boolit Master

here is a pic
    you get two things 1 very easy to load and 2 lube for slug or ball.
    Pic is a ball but done the Lyman same way. and 30gr blue dot is enough for me
    Last edited by shotman; 05-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.