Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: .303 mold for Lee-Enfield

Boolit Buddy

.303 mold for Lee-Enfield

Have been away from cast bullet shooting for about 30 years. I decided the other day I would like to design a mold for my No.4 MkII Lee-Enfield. I have been reading a lot about the Greenhill formula and the length of projectile a given twist can stabilize. Before I cause brain damage to myself, is there a simple way to determine the radius of the ogive of the bullet? I know some of the real nice jacketed designs have a radius of maybe 7 to 9 diameters. I also have a 308413 that has a really nice flowing radius.Thanks,.................Ray

Boolit Master

Why design something already designed?
    C312-185-1R
    I use that Lee mold.
    Great, works for me. My Enfield likes it.
    Works well with paper patching also.

Boolit Master

Ditto on reinventing the wheel. My 1942 #4 Mk1 likes the previously mentioned Lee 185-grainer better than jacketed ball ammo while one of my shooting buddy's #3 Mk1 prefers the Lyman 314399. (His Lithgow's bore is a bit tighter than that of my Longbranch.) Also, CBE offers several proven boolit designs for the .303.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Why design something already designed?
    C312-185-1R
    I use that Lee mold.
    Great, works for me. My Enfield likes it.
    Works well with paper patching also.
    I have that mold as well. I use the boolits from it as cast, tumbled with Lee Mule Snot in my #4, my Krag, and when I still had 'em my Arg. Mausers. They all liked it. As I used it as a plinking load only, I used the semi-universal load of 1cc of Unique, lit off by whatever primers I had. Lately that's been Wolf. They seem to be fine, every one's gone off and the bullets end up satisfyingly close to where I aimed 'em.

Your mileage may vary.

Gerry N.

I'm with Ray1946. Design that mold! Have a look at the Money Boolit design. I'd keep the ogive radius to about one or two diameters and make the boolit heavy - up to 245gr (but those won't fit in the magazine). The heavier, the higher the BC. Only the boolit length is important and keeping the unsupported nose section short - not more than three diameters, I should think. I would also go smooth sided but that isn't to everyones liking.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

.303 bullet

Thanks for the vote of confidence 303GUY. I think I will design my own. If I recall correctly, the guy at Colorado shooters is still making molds to your drawing. Have to find out what they are going for now,...........Ray

Boolit Master

hi Ray,,
    Ive used that 185 gr Lee in my #4MK1, but my groove dia is 0.317 so the accuracy is not what I would like......Im currently experimenting with a Lyman 165 gr flat base which casts at 0.321 and I hope my accuracy improves

Boolit Buddy

185 gr. Lee

ATR,..............I have used the 185 gr. Lee in a Mosin-Nagant and it really worked great! Mine dropped from the mold at about .3145 and I sized it to about .3125. It would shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 50 yds. from a rest, if I remember correctly, I think I used a tuft of dacron under the bullet.............Ray