Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: What to do with 7.62 berdan primed brass?

What to do with 7.62 berdan primed brass?

Gents,

I've come across several thousand L2A2 RG 03 NATO (circled cross) headstamped 7.62x51mm cases. I believe they were fired in British MG's.

Thought it was a good find, but discovered they are BERDAN primed (two flash holes)

Are they good for anything but scrap?

Boolit Master
    To me, converting them to use Boxer primers would be a non-starter for a variety of reasons:

1) Time required, versus the cost of Boxer-primed brass - especially MG-fired, once-fired brass.
    2) Potential safety issues; how durable/reliable/safe is the Boxer conversion? Anybody know from first-hand experience? It may work perfectly and be totally safe - I honestly don't know. Even the author of the conversion post admits that he doesn't know how this will work out.
    3) Not all Berdan-primed brass uses the common .217" primers; some use a significantly larger primer. As I understand it, the .217"-size primer brass is the only size that can be converted.

Something to think about, anyway. I'd rather be shooting than reloading anyway, especially screwing around converting primer pockets.

You could probably cut that brass in half and swage excellent bullets for your .475 Linebaugh or .480 Ruger using it for bullet jackets.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Berdan Primers

You can convert and/or you can reprime with berdan primers.
    There are some informative write-ups on the WWW about converting them to boxer.
    You'd have to have access to some equipement but most of the process could be done in the home shop if I remember correctly.
    Are the primers criped like our USGI brass?
    The cimp might help with the process I remember.
    On the other hand the lack thereof would aid in getting old primer out.
    Back in about '62(last century) I used a seater die upside down in a press to hold the case while I took an awl which had been blnted a little and drove it into the prmer cup at an angle to miss the anvil and then pried primer out.
    Had an old Herters press and it's primer cups were either large enough or I easily enlarged it to seat the .217 primers.
    Newer ram primers would work even better, I think RCBS even made one for berdan primers.
    So in a nut shell if you have a supply of berdan primers, you can reload them. Assuming the primers are the right size.
    If I had the berdan primers, I'd probably keep them for those calibers for which there is no boxer primed cases.
    But, they can be reprimed IF you can find the primers.
    And as stated, they CAN be converted.
    I've got some berdan cases(8x56R) and one of these days I'm going to try the conversion method.
    Just have to many more pressing things to do before that.
    Good luck which ever way you go with them.

Boolit Master
    I'd chunk 'em,just good to break decapping pins.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master

Before chuckin' 'em out, you might check around to see if you can work up a swap with a local salvage/scrap dealer. I've got a standing arrangement with one to swap scrap brass for scrap lead at his current buy/sell rates. Firing line sweepings and throwaways from my reloading bench get me 60-100 lbs of clean WWs (or roof flashing) a year.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Some of the swagers would give more than scrap price maybe - reloading really not even an option for Berdan anymore, most can't find those primers on this side of the ocean anymore.

In Remembrance

I reloaded some in the 1960s and decapped by filling the case with water and hitting a tight fitting punch inserted in the case mouth. Hydraulic pressure drove the primer out. Used a shell holder from a Lee loader kit and reloaded with the kit. Got a bath and reloaded at the same time. I don't remember which primers I used, but got them from a reloading friend who was very experienced in reloading. I think I was reloading for 7.62 Argentina Mauser, but not sure, traded guns a lot back then.

I have had some success with drilling out the pocket, countersinking and using 209 shotshell primers for low pressure plinkers in 7.62 x 39 and 54 berdan primed brass.

Again...... For low pressure loads only. !!!

I saw a youtube video of a guy reloading steel case 7.62x39. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, but he just went slow and let the decapping pin make a hole in the center for him as it punched out the old primer.

Based how bad you need the brass, you might do some research for different options.

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you just like to do it for the sake of doing it, reloading Berdan cases is not worth the effort. The best way is like as already been suggested. Find a scrap dealer who will buy it or trade it for something you can use.

This discussion happens five or six times a year on sundry gun boards. The result is always the same: Yes, reloading Berdan cases is doable. If you're set up for it and if you can find primers.
    Converting Berdan cases to Boxer can be done. If you're set up for it.

Is there a payback? Unless you're already set up for it, no, because of the primer problem and because of the unbelievable quantities and availability of 7.62 NATO Boxer primed brass.

Sell it as scrap and buy Boxer primed brass.

Your mileage, as always, may vary.

Gerry N.