Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Handle ferrule tip

Handle ferrule tip

Replacement air hose crimp ferrules found at hardware stores and automotive supply make excellent ferrules for damaged or making new wood handles. There are several sizes to choose from. Anyplace that repairs and fixes air hoses should have them. These were $0.75 each.
    Attachment 20053 Attachment 20054

I found these at Ace Hardware. I slipped them on until I had one that was a nice tight slip on fit. A little J-B Weld to secure everything in place within the wood. Best yet was that the front hole was sized just right to conform easily and no need to drill!

They may be a little long (about a 1/2" longer than the originals), but I like the little extra length in the handles now. Plus the ferrules have a nice little taper at the edge that matches up to the wood. One could cut them down to length if desired.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 06-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had excellent results over the years with short lengths of copper tubing of suitable diameters although the air hose crimp ferrules are nice.

Gerry N.

Le Loup Solitaire

Ferrule tips for tools and handles

Those air tool crimp ferrules look very good. I have used copper end caps which have to have a hole drilled in them, but they do a similar good job. As another alternate to JB welding them I have dimpled them in 3-4 places with a punch or nailset and that usually holds them in place. LLS

Copper caps for water lines work good to. I used them in building new Oak handles for an old Lyman mold. The copper caps are a little more stout than these.

Problem with the molds above was they were an odd size and nothing else would fit. Only other thing close was 3/4" copper tubing, but would needed to have reamed it open a little.

Plus these handles had cracks starting already. The ferrules slid on nice and snug. I coated the inner wood with the J-B Weld to secure the cracks. A little more to hold the ferrules, and a little on the shafts to hold the tongs.

Good times and I love a challenge! Maybe more will provide tips on the thread on fixing up old handles.

Info on the site is fabulous!!!

Chisels also

Looks like an outstanding solution for wood workers as well replacing or making wooden handles for files, chisels etc. etc.
    Thanks for the passing on of good information!

Boolit Master

Looks like those work pretty good. I've used the necks off .50 BMG brass as well./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

If you drill holes about an eigth inch deep or so into the metal hadles then put the JB Weld in the wood and slide it on when set it will be locked in place.