RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Alert

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I was shocked & happy to see when my local gun store had a shelf full of every type of primer about a week ago (Phoenix, AZ area).
    Which shop?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Consider your selves lucky you don't live in Ak. Here you have to order them and have them dropshipped to a barge forwarding outfit and barged up or send them air freight. Both are very expensive. I am one of the lucky hoarders that started hoarding before Clinton was elected and won't be out of anything for a long while. I like the term Boy Scout as in Be Prepared rather than hoarder but suit yourself. We have primers showing up here and there but at 35 per thou I can afford to wait a while.

Boolit Man

Cabela's is always cheaper online than locally. Problem is I can't justify paying HAZMAT fees unless I'm buying at least 5K of primers, and my cash flow doesn't like buying that many at a time.

Carl
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    Your Walmart carries primers?????
    product lines are reginonal...

we use to have guns , bit no more
    no supplies, but ammo yes
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Bub
    Here in Colorado Springs, the Wal-Marts don't carry reloading supplies. The Wal-Mart in Fountain (10 miles south) DOES carry reloading components. The main reason most Wal-Marts don't carry reloading components is due to local fire codes- mainly having to do with storage. The Fountain Wal-Mart doesn't have to deal with stringent Fire Codes, thus is happy to carry reloading components.

There is still a shortage around here. The last two shows I went to (last month) there were NO SP primers to be had at any price. The small amount of other size primers I did see, were obviously very old stock (ragged looking boxes) and trying to get $35 and up for them. On the flip side, Gander Mountain here has a couple sizes/brands - not a great or varied selection by any means - for the ridiculous price of $50 per 1000.

The last gun show I went to had primers available–I was able to stock up, getting 2000 small pistol (Federal and Winchester) and 3000 Large Pistol (CCI and Winchester). I shoot around 500 rounds a week, so I'll be OK for the time being.

The local shops are starting to have primers available all the time, if not every brand, at least every type.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    At the Costa Mesa gun show Jan 30 , 31 I bought 1K small pistol primers, wolf, and paid 24.95

Could have had CCI or Winchester for 29.95 all flavors but small pistol mag

Some outfit in Grass Valley Ca. had the booth you guys might google for them didn't catch a name sorry.

Boolit Man

walmart

All the walmarts I've been to in WV carry reloading stuff that I know of. They have always had shotgun primers, but I've not seen anything else in a while. They usually carry CCI primers. My local Walmart has plenty of powder too-if you like Unique, Varget, IMR 4064, or R22.

I absolutely REFUSE to pay absorbent prices for anything, including PRIMERS. If it takes buying Russian primers to fit my budget, then so be it. Don't get me wrong, I try to buy anything I can that's made in the USA, but it's getting to the point to where hardly anything is made here anymore. Everything I pick up in any store says made in Malaysia, Made in China, Made in Taiwan, Made in Mexico, Made in who knows where. Wolf primers, as I understand, are made by the same people who sold under the PMC label. In any event, none of our gun shows have primers for less than $40/1000. Stores get in limited supplies that last less than a day when they do come in. I'm actually getting to like the Wolf Primers. Myself and ten of my reloading buddies just placed an order for 16,000 of them. We have no access to any other kind of primers. The cost?....$28/1000 including hazmat fees and shipping. We didn't even have to leave our home....we didn't have to burn 2 or 3 gallons of gasoline....we didn't have to find 2 or 3 extra hours to drive 80 miles round trip. It was delivered right to the door for
    $28/1000. We can forget cheap primer prices....they will never go back to $15-20/1000. Those days are gone forever, and if somebody don't get off of their tails and go to the voting booth, we are looking at only the very richest being able to enjoy the hobby that we so richly love today. OK....OK.....I'm off the soapbox.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    Wolf primers, as I understand, are made by the same people who sold under the PMC label. .
    sorta right.
    the pmc primers were made by the same people that make the wolf primers. the murmon factory in russia. (as in pmc sold primers made in the murmon factory. and why pmc does not have the primers is cause...wolf decided to market primers)

mike in co

Boolit Master

In October of 2008 I smelled what was coming and ordered 30,000 Wolf LP primers from Grafs at $17.00 a thousand after discounts and hazmat etc. I use them in most of my mid range rifle cast boolit loads. They work just fine.
    Last edited by mpmarty; 02-15-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Correct year
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    In October of 2008 I smelled what was coming and ordered 30,000 Wolf LP primers from Grafs at $17.00 a thousand after discounts and hazmat etc. I use them in most of my mid range rifle cast boolit loads. They work just fine.
    I didn't go to that extreme. But lets just say that if I needed to go without buying for a while, it wouldn't slow me down much...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

Got email from Midway this afternoon at 4:30pm about primers being back in stock. Just checked and they seem to be already sold out.

...........but there's no shortage and no hoarding going on...........and the prices WOW......
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Got email from Midway this afternoon at 4:30pm about primers being back in stock. Just checked and they seem to be already sold out.

...........but there's no shortage and no hoarding going on...........and the prices WOW......
    We need primer as much as we need Gasoline. When summer rolls around gas is up in price. All a matter of supply, demand and GREED.....

Boolit Buddy
    I live in ripley tn which is close to nothing, in the middle of everything. There is a bass pro shop im memphis and a gander mt in jackson. It is a about the same driving time to get to one as the other (1hr). We do not have a local gun shop only a few places that offer a small number of rifles, which are local business that carry them for ffl reasons. Our local wal mart no longer sells guns. There is only place close (30 min drive) that sells reloading supplies. Their prices are well adjusted to the times. (almost 40.00 for a box of .380 target) Gander Mtn recentally started having primers 4.99 a hundred. Brass pro's are about 34.00 thousand. It is looking like it costs about as much to shoot your handgun reloads today as it did to shoot factory ammo two years ago.

$15 per thousand would be below what my wholesaler charges for CCI primers.
    I lucked into 11 cases this morning (six sp and five sr) and was charged $120
    per case plus hazmat fee.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds for resale with wolf primers and they
    have been just fine. They are a little harder than CCI or so it seems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OLPDon View Post
    We need primer as much as we need Gasoline. When summer rolls around gas is up in price. All a matter of supply, demand and GREED.....
    no one said you had to buy any...., BUY A HORSE, take up archery if you cannot stand people making a living in the sporting goods business.

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Two weeks ago I was in one of the local gun shops. They had 2 boxes of Federal Magnum Large Pistol Primers for $35 per thousand. I really didn't need them right now, but bought them anyways. They also had CCI small pistol magnum primers for $37, but I left them for someone else. I still have 3k.

P.S. I find it strange how Federal ships their primers in plastic containers that are 4 times bigger than they need to be.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I was at a local gunshow the first of the month. SR CCI primers $24.99/1000. Was trying to sell my only SR gun and didn't get any. Didn't sell my carbine and forgot to go back and get some. All I have is LR right now and some SP.