WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite beater?

Boolit Buddy
    My beater is a Chilean Steyr Mauser M1912/61 NATO in 7,62x51. For some unknown reason these were sold about ten years ago for pocket change. I paid $35 for mine. It looks for all the world like a K98k. The story I got was the Chileans bought several thousand 2-groove Springfield barrels for about a buck each, reconfigured 'em to Mauser profile, fitted 'em to M1912 Steyr rifles, rechambering to 7.62x51mm and cutting them to short rifle specs, with 22" barrels. In any case, it is a good shooting rifle I can toss into the pickup without worrying if it gets another scratch. It seems to like any ammunition I feed it from light cast boolit plinking loads to whatever factory stuff takes my eye. I've put many thousands of military surplus rounds through it and it loves it all.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I think I have another contender for a beater rifle, just picked up a pair of SMLE sporters. One which has a slightly heavier target barrel, shortened to about 22" (forgot to measure it) with a nice solid set of mounts and a Tasco 4x scope and a nice(ish) bore. The other one is a nicer looking rifle and has standard sights. The bore is not as good. I have an old Lyman steel peep sight to suit the SMLE and a new No4 barrel. I fancy setting the open sighted one up with the new barrel and Lyman sight and re-chambering it to 7.62x54 Russian or 303 Epps.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Long time ago when you could order guns through the mail I ordered a Mauser in 7x57 for $49. I recieved a Turk Mauser in 8x57 and a short apology. The Turk was well used, 30" barrel, and poorly cleaned. I was young and ignorant but thought I knew a little. Had the gunsmith re-chamber it to 8-06 or 8x63 and cut the barrel to 21", install a new front sight (off a Rem 700 he had) and a reciever sight. I thus basically had a good barrel and good sights. I cut down the stock and put a recoil pad on it. Shot it with surplus ammo and didn't know to clean it with water- that's when I learned that lesson. Still shoots condom ammo very well but doesn't do so well with cast - leads too fast.

I never did any refinishing of the stock except a little oil. Never polished any metal. It's a beater, but as accurate as I am or more so.

Just a couple of years ago I finally got a semi-bubba'ed Chilean 93 Mauser in 7x57. This one I had a lot of work done on and is beautiful - still need to find a nice stock for it. The 7x57 I have wanted for over 20 years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

My milsurps may look like beaters but they are too heavy for me to carry, so I just shoot them at the range. I just acquired a S&W model 65, 3" round butt .357. It apparently was a police trade-in. It's been around the block a few times and is a little loose but not too bad. I'm going to have the cylinder play tightened up but don't plan to do anything to the finish. I don't have the long association with it that most who have posted have with their "beater" but this gun just feels good in my hand.

John
    W.TN