WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee dies junk or just me?

Lee dies junk or just me?

Well, I know I am opening a can of worms here, and I am sure I screwed up, but...

I just got 10 rounds sized with my brand new Lee 308WIN Collet die. Then breakage!!

I read the instructions and was using them in my RCBS JR3 press. Being careful not to apply too much force per instructions, I carefully turned the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn after trying a bullet in the case. I finally got to the point where the bullet would just barely start to seat half way then stop using hand pressure against the side of the bench. I felt it wasn't too loose, and not too tight.

After the 4 th round after setting the lock nut, the top alum cap popped! I found the soft threads had stripped and the collet has a small indent from the matching cone.

I should have known to stick with a RCBS neck sizer set.

Looks like I will send to Lee. Unless someone wants to trade. It is a brand new Lee Collet Deluxe set (collet neck sizer, FL sizer, seater, shellholder, dipper) and a used factory crimp die with it too.

I would gladly exchange a decent RCBS Neck sizer set.

Boolit Master
    cheese,

I use them for three calibers without problems.

Maybe I will get a replacement cap and try it again.

Obviously it was too much pressure.

I use one in 308 and am quite happy with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Last time I read the instructions that come with Lee Collet dies, I think it says that you can increase neck tension by taking the decapping rod and spinning fine sand paper on the rod while it is chucked in an electric drill.( don't overdo this.....removal of 001 " at a time can make a lot of difference in neck tension. )

This may be the solution to your problem. Then you can get the neck tension you want without the excessive pressure being placed on the die and your reloading press.

I had to do the very thing I'm describing with my 30 - 06 collet die, my 308 Win. Lee Collet n/sizing die didn't need this modification ? ? ? I guess each individual situation is different. I've probably sized several thousand 30 - 06 cases with my Lee Collet die, never a problem of any type ( after I removed about .0015 from the decapping rod ).
    Last edited by Ben; 02-06-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Are you talking about the Lee Factory Crimp die or the Lee Collet Sizer? I have three sets of Collet dies, .30-06, 7.5 Swiss and .303 British. They all work great and I wouldn't trade them for any other.

Skeet1

Yep. The neck collet die.

Boolit Buddy
    I have popped a couple of those and had to machine up replacements . The die itself should not be damaged . When I broke mine the problem was not having the die screwed down far enough. Now , I raise the ram to its highest point and screw the die down until it touches the shellholder before lowering the ram and then screwing the die in anothe two full turns . Some presses have too much leverage and since the "feel " of using a collet die is different to the usual neck sizing die the temptation was there for me to use too much pressure which resulted in the breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by heathydee View Post
    I have popped a couple of those and had to machine up replacements . The die itself should not be damaged . When I broke mine the problem was not having the die screwed down far enough. Now , I raise the ram to its highest point and screw the die down until it touches the shellholder before lowering the ram and then screwing the die in anothe two full turns . Some presses have too much leverage and since the "feel " of using a collet die is different to the usual neck sizing die the temptation was there for me to use too much pressure which resulted in the breakage.
    I beleive that is exactly what I did. My bad!

I am using Hornady standard FMJ jackets. Will there be enough case tension to hold, or will they push in when tested on the bench? I guess I can always factory crimp them, but won't when I start using cast loads.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a collet set (used) for my 243 and the instructions note specifically not to use the collet die in any press that has an over-center (cam style) handle such as the RCBS rock chucker/JR presses. The instructions then go on to say the die can be used in those presses if it is adjusted well below the over-center point. I have no idea how old the instructions are, but I intend to use either my partner press or order up a cheap Lee C-press.

Boolit Master
    I have 6 sets I think, and I use them on an over-center press. I have seen one damaged like that before, but that is one foo the things I like about the Hornady Lock-n-Load collets. I adjusted the dies once to where they were perfect, and never have to adjust them again. All of mine work great. I did polish in collets on some of them to make them work smoother, but I have never had a problem with them after that. Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Just got done polishing the collet and cone. Removed the burr I created on the collet. Tried screwing the cap back in and gave it a try. Didn't hold.

Sounds like I am the junk and not Lee!!! Might be better whan I start loading oversized bullets for my Ishy 2A .308. I do plan on swapping lock nuts with a set screw design.

Guess I'll be calling Monday for a new cap and try again.

Boolit Master

Cheese,
    I had to send two paper patched castings to Lee to have them modify my dies. I suspect, you are in the same category. As well as the press mismanagement, there is the size difference in the casting.
    It won't hurt. If they are sized to .309, do not bother. If they are sized .310 or larger, might not hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I swap out 357 and 38 spl with my dies, very little problem here.

Boolit Master
    "Lee dies junk or just me? "

I have seven, from .22-250 to .300 mag, that I use in a Rock Chucker 2 (wish I had a Lee Classic Cast instead) with no problems. With that moving part it's not a simple "push the case in, pull the case out" thing like others so there IS a learning curve, but it works so well
    it's worth it.

Most of the folks who have trouble with Lee's tools are attempting to use them incorrectly.

Boolit Master

Most of my dies and moulds are LEE. I have never had a problem, I load about 600 to 700 rounds a month for myself plus loads for my Grand kids. I don't believe if you spend the most you get the most.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    No issues on this end. I've used the collet die for 303 brit, 300 WM, 308, 223, and the 375 H&H with either cast bullets or with jacket it didn't matter. There was enough bullet tension and the dies performed as stated. However, I do use a Lee Classic Press so the directions are clear as to how to set the dies up for such a press versus the ambiguous directions of using other presses.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been buying and using Lee dies and equipment for thirty plus years and all the problems I've had have turned out to be operator error as have the problems I've read about on the web.

Lee gear comes with clear instructions, read, understand, and follow them and satisfaction will be yours.

Disregard the instructions and you will get familiar with Lee's customer service staff.

Gerry N.

Boolit Mold
    One thing that isn't included in the LEE instructions is to lube the steel insert that closes down the collet with a high pressure grease.

Yep. Did that now after I messed things up. Deburr, polish, grease.

On the bright side, I did have a cheerful gal at Lee when I called Monday morning. We both snickered when I kept adding that I was "overzealous" in my methods!!!

I ordered Monday morning and they were in my mail box Wednesday afternoon!!!

Try it again this weekend...wish me luck and hindsight!!!