Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distinguished Revolver Bullet Mold Choices

Boolit Mold

Distinguished Revolver Bullet Mold Choices

I'm trying for my Distinguished Badge for Revolver. The NRA lifted the Factory Ammo requirement and I'm looking for a 158gr SWC mold for 38spl. I'm shooting a S&W Model 14. Does anyone have any suggestions? 158gr Round Nose is legal but I like the nice big holes on the target.

Subject: 2009 NRA Distinguished Match at Camp Perry

Pistol Committee suspends Distinguished Revolver "Factory" ammunition requirement for 2009 National Championships Distinguished Revolver Match.

Due to the lack of availability of commercially manufactured 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter .38 special cartridges, the NRA Pistol Committee has agreed to suspend Rule 3.1.4(e). Ammunition - New, factory manufactured ammunition or commercially re-manufactured ammunition: .38 Special 158 grain round nose lead bullet or .38 Special 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter only.

The only suspension to the rule is that the ammo need NOT be factory manufactured or re-manufactured. Individuals may hand load .38 Special 158 grain round nose lead bullet or .38 Special 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter only. No hollow points will be allowed at this time.

The suspension of Rule 3.1.4(e) will only pertain to the Distinguished Revolver Match at the NRA National Pistol Championships at Camp Perry this year. Regional and State Championships that conduct DR Matches will be required to follow the rule. The Pistol Committee will look into a possible permanent change or amendment to the Rule at the Committee meeting to be held this fall.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately it's a GC design, but the 358156 has always shot very well for me. What range do you have to shoot, and what is the minimum accuracy requirement?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Unfortunately it's a GC design, but the 358156 has always shot very well for me. What range do you have to shoot, and what is the minimum accuracy requirement?
    Sorry, I'm new to casting. What's a "GC" design? Where can I take find this number.

Distinguisher Revolver course of fire below. Accuracy is as good as possible. Right now I can get about 1 1/2" groups at 50 yrds from a rest with my Model 14 with my reloads and Zero Cast Bullets.

Slow Fire - 50 yrds
    10 shots in 10 min

Timed Fire - 25 yrds
    5 shots in 20 sec
    5 shots in 20 sec

Rapid Fire - 25 yrds
    5 shots in 10 sec
    5 shots in 10 sec

Boolit Master
    GC means gas check, and that may be more of a pain in the backside than you want. The 358156 would probably meet your accuracy requirements though. 1-1/2" @ 50 is very good shooting by the way. That mould number is a currently catalogued Lyman part number.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    GC means gas check, and that may be more of a pain in the backside than you want. The 358156 would probably meet your accuracy requirements though. 1-1/2" @ 50 is very good shooting by the way. That mould number is a currently catalogued Lyman part number.
    That's shooting from a rest......

Offhand in competition I've made 3rd place as my best finish. Maybe someday...........

Thanks for the help, since I'm new to casting I think I'll avoid the gas check boolits for now. Any other ideas?

Boolit Master
    Benched or not, that is fine shooting. The last gun I could do that with was my F/A .475, and it took several thousand rounds to get to that level. My new project is... a 6" model 14 S&W, and I'm still trying to get under 2" @ 50 yds. Not very successfully I might add. The Lyman 358477 is noted as being a very accurate SWC design. I have only recently gotten one of those, today will be it's first trial, so I can't back up the claims made to it's accuracy.

Unlike the "156" design, the "477" is discontinued, and are only available on the used market. It's pretty common though. Don't wanna share your 1-1/2" load do ya?

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I'm thinking they will use a scoring plug for holes close to a scoring anyway ?? And round noses have been said to be more accurate than SWC.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

The Midway catalog lists Lyman's 358477 in stock in two and four cavity versions, as well as a similar offering by RCBS. Both are listed as 150gr, but in my limited experience they will cast heavier than that with most alloys.

They also list the Lyman 358091 wadcutter and other 140-150 full wadcutters by other vendors.

Boolit Master

Oops! Missed part of your post, full WCs don't appear to be legal. Sorry.

Some of my most accurate loads have been with RN bullets in .38 and .44 Spcl.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well the wadcutter throws something new into the mix, that being reduced case capacity due to deep seating. The deal with the RN's is some folks claim they deal better with less than perfect cylinder/bore alignment....which sort of makes sense.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

I have had good luck with the rcbs swc, as well as the ideal/lyman numbers listed. I am not sure that the RCBS will give you 158 gr though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    The Midway catalog lists Lyman's 358477 in stock in two and four cavity versions, as well as a similar offering by RCBS. Both are listed as 150gr, but in my limited experience they will cast heavier than that with most alloys.

They also list the Lyman 358091 wadcutter and other 140-150 full wadcutters by other vendors.
    Well, I'll be darned... I was sure that was a discontinued mould #, but there it is.. Thanks for the correction Perfessor. I think my older 4 cav 358477 casts about 151 grains out of WW's.

Boolit Mold
    I think maybe I'll try either the Lyman you mentioned or try this Lee 6-Cavity 150gr 1 Ogive Radius #90326.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=784750

Perhaps round nose is the way to go and then I can try the SWC next.

Banned

the 358477 is very accurate.
    i have two different versions of it. the nose is a button very rounded swc type on my 2 cav and the 4 cav is more like a very short keith shape.
    both are very good though.

Boolit Master

But if the boolit must be 158 grains - How picky will they be? Will they make you disassemble a round to prove the weight? I believe the -311 is the only mold I have that will throw 158 grs.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I use an RCBS 38-150 SWC for DR.

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep in mind that you can have a machinist bore out the cavity of that 357156 enough to remove the gas check groove from the bullet... this will add a small amount of weight as well, which would be a good thing. BTW, that '156 feeds well with speed loaders, too... I liked that style for PPC when I had my old Fred Schmidt Short Cylinder revolver.

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the 358477 is very accurate.
    i have two different versions of it. the nose is a button very rounded swc type on my 2 cav and the 4 cav is more like a very short keith shape.
    both are very good though.
    For Distinguished Pistol CMP matches no one checks the ammo but its all 230gr FMJ, easy to visualize. I don't think its realistic to check everyone's ammo. I guess they assume you'll be honest. I mean what kind of person are you if you're going to cheat to become Distinguished.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS 38 150 SWC and Lyman 358477 are extremely accurate boolits. Size to cyl throat diameter
    or throat plus .001".

You will be pleased. Also, these two designs are almost identical, the biggest difference is the
    crimp groove shape, at least in the old 150 gr 358477 form. I think that perhaps the current
    477 is 158 gr. If that is true, you may want to use the RCBS mold.

No reason in the world for a gas checked boolit in .38 Spl.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

id look hard at the lee 158 round flat design. Its been a real accurate bullet in my 38s and with a 6 cavity mold you can crank them out and practice.