MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredible

Boolit Grand Master

Incredible

I was just placing an order at Midway, got to the check out and the total was $141.31 less shipping. Before I placed the order I used their computer to check the shipping charges for a USPS flat rate box.

Midway wants $47.50 to ship $141 worth of merchandise in a $10.00 flat rate box.

I thought I messed up somehow or the computer goofed so I started over. No mistake, Midway wants 1/3 of the cost of the merchandise in shipping and no, there were no hazmat items, just gas checks and a few other odds and ends.

Anyone need to ask if I placed the order? Strong email sent to Midway not that it will matter.

Anyone planning on ordering from Midway is advised to check their shipping charges BEFORE ordering. If you decide to order anyway before you click place order you should first drop your drawers and bend over.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

In Remembrance
    Wow.

There's gotta be a major-league snafu in there somewhere.

I just went to their website and "ordered" an RCBS lubesizer, a Lyman turbo tumbler, some mold handles, shotgun wads, a mold and something else for a purchase total of just under $250.00.

My shipping option prices went from a low of UPS Ground of $14.21 to a high of $120.97 for next-day air. Second-day air was $45.16.

Wonder if there is something in your order that is setting off their computer's shipping calculator?

Regardless, no way in hades would I pay a 30% fee for shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked my order history page and on Jan 05, 10 I placed an order that came to $193.45 plus Postage, Handling & Insurance of $12.90 (flat rate box)

On Dec 24, 09 I placed an order that came to $166.50 plus Postage, Handling & Insurance of $11.94 (flat rate box)

Now they want $47.50 shipping? I would probably have gone ahead and placed this order but I forgot to grab my ankles.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

I can only imagine you had something either too heavy or long to fit in a normal box. Or what is more likely you have an item that was mis-coded to be larger or heavier than it ought. Remember these computers are only as good at the input they get and moving a decimal can make a huge difference.

If you have time to kill try swapping out the items 1 at a time to see if it's connected to 1 specific line item.
    Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole packed globe. -John Boynton Priestley

Boolit Master

Midway used to be the first place that I looked for handloading equipment and supplies.
    Their shipping costs have made them my last choice nowadays.
    They seem to find the need to break my shipment into many small boxes instead of one large one and charge separately for each one.
    I can't see why they won't use USPS flat rate shipping either.

Jack

Boolit Master

Postage, Handling & Insurance: $11.58

I just ordered a package of materials last week that weighed around 8 total pounds. Did you order 50 pounds of #2 Lead?

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    DANG! I shipped a 20lb. frozen container of venison to my Dad up in Alaska (I'm in Penna.) a while back and it only cost me $48!!! Next Day Air!! What happened to shipping prices? Mebbe they're tacking on a fee to support Haiti? Audie..the baffled Oldfart...

Boolit Master

Graf & Son--Shipping = Handling+insurance--$6.50--that's it no matter what you order.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    Graf & Son--Shipping = Handling+insurance--$6.50--that's it no matter what you order.
    +1 for Graf & Son
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Maybe they got bought out by United Parcel Service! Thats about what UPS charged me to ship a 4"x6" box with three little books in it to Canada!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Did you consider getting on the phone to their customer service to find out what the problem was? Those folks are pretty nice and easy to deal with. Not that I'm defending Midway, as they're not my first choice vendor, but rather than pounding your fist on the table and shooting off an e-nastygram to them, you might consider giving them a chance to explain and rectify the problem. Your order might be on the way now.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Yes I would have called----and then called Graf&Son for the order.
    Midway deserved a chance to say why it was so much. Then we would all know.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    I can't see why they won't use USPS flat rate shipping either. Jack
    They do offer flat rate shipping and that is the option I chose, this was for USPS flat rate box.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Did you order 50 pounds of #2 Lead? Bruce
    No, no alloy, not at their prices. If I was going to order alloy I would go to Roto Metals for a much better price and FREE shipping.

Couple of shell holders, a few boxes of gas checks, a dehumidifier for the safe, a scope alignment tool, just a few odds and ends. Nothing big, nothing heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Did you consider getting on the phone to their customer service to find out what the problem was? Those folks are pretty nice and easy to deal with. Not that I'm defending Midway, as they're not my first choice vendor, but rather than pounding your fist on the table and shooting off an e-nastygram to them, you might consider giving them a chance to explain and rectify the problem. Your order might be on the way now. Regards, Stew
    Yes, I considered calling them but considering it was Sunday night I decided not to. If they are so easy to deal with and considering it's now 11:30 AM (their time) Monday morning why haven't I gotten an "e-nastygram" from them trying to rectify the problem? I have spent several thousand dollars at Midway in the past few years, ya would think they would care but I haven't heard from them.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I cant figure out how we can get bananas from South America for 69 cents per pound.

Oh, and I now go to Grafs first. Midway just isnt the same company it used to be.
    People sometimes tell me they dont own guns because guns are too expensive. I tell them guns dont cost anything. They are essentially another form of currency.

Banned
    Maybe they put a glitch in there to get more revenue from those who don't look. Have you ever paid too little for something? If it's just a computer snafu, then why is it always more?

In Remembrance
    Companies make mistakes. Right after you posted, I went to their site and "placed an order" for a lubesizer and tumbler (two large, heavy items), plus some other things to get total dollar cost up. My flat-rate shipping was only going to be $14/15.

That's why I think there is something in your order that is coded wrong that is causing the shipping to skyrocket. A simple phone call would probably not only clear it up, but have your stuff on the way by the end of the phone call--and with an apology no doubt.

Phone calls are immediate. E-mails come in long lists. Phone calls are interpersonal and take priority.

Give 'em a call and see what the deal is.

Last edited by Recluse; 02-01-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: It's always something. . .

Boolit Grand Master

Common sense? Not at Midway

Ok, got it figured out and Recluse is absolutely right. I should have simply grabbed my ankles and with a smile. I just got off the phone with Midway and they explained that the following order would be shipped in two large flat rate boxes. I asked why, it would fit in one medium box? Midways answer . . . The people in shipping pack an order exactly as the computer tells them to and the computer says that this order needs two large boxes. I asked if the people in shipping use any common sense at all and when an order will fit in one medium box they don't do it? No, they do what the computer says and that is why the shipping charge is $47.50, two large boxes.

Here is the exact order (a cut & paste from the Midway site) that requires two large flat rate boxes.

RCBS Shellholder #40 (475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger) Product #: 157111 Available $7.09

RCBS Shellholder #39 (38 Colt Super) Product #: 179269 Available $7.09

Hornady Gas Checks 284 Caliber, 7mm Box of 1000 Product #: 296317 Available $27.99 $55.98

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Tool 1" Product #: 599514 Available $19.99

RCBS Shellholder #38 (7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (RSAUM) 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 455 Webley) Product #: 716664 Available $7.09

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier 110v Black Product #: 762730 Available $19.99 $39.98

RCBS Shellholder #44 (338 Marlin Express, 500 S&W Magnum) Product #: 817490 Available $7.09

Yep, it must be me alright.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    They must have learned that trick from the "Greedy One" at :takinWiz:sportsmans guide...........
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    Rick, I have been in customer service for a long time and know your frustration with the system. I checked the diminisons for a large flat rate box and it is 12x12x5. Your dehumidifiers are 12" long. Midway should have taken the time to explain this to you. I did not check the other dimensions but the Wheeler Scope alignment bars may be too large for a medium box with all the other products packaging you ordered. I shop Midway and have had good experiences with them. I also shop Mid-South and Powder Valley. All the above may explain the 2 large boxes but not your shipping frustration. They should have checked what UPS basic would have cost to ship your order and tried to get you a better rate. You deserved better service but did not get it this time. Maybe my ramblings will help.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Ok, got it figured out and Recluse is absolutely right. I should have simply grabbed my ankles and with a smile. I just got off the phone with Midway and they explained that the following order would be shipped in two large flat rate boxes. I asked why, it would fit in one medium box? Midways answer . . . The people in shipping pack an order exactly as the computer tells them to and the computer says that this order needs two large boxes. I asked if the people in shipping use any common sense at all and when an order will fit in one medium box they don't do it? No, they do what the computer says and that is why the shipping charge is $47.50, two large boxes.

Here is the exact order (a cut & paste from the Midway site) that requires two large flat rate boxes.

RCBS Shellholder #40 (475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger) Product #: 157111 Available $7.09

RCBS Shellholder #39 (38 Colt Super) Product #: 179269 Available $7.09

Hornady Gas Checks 284 Caliber, 7mm Box of 1000 Product #: 296317 Available $27.99 $55.98

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Tool 1" Product #: 599514 Available $19.99

RCBS Shellholder #38 (7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (RSAUM) 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 455 Webley) Product #: 716664 Available $7.09

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier 110v Black Product #: 762730 Available $19.99 $39.98

RCBS Shellholder #44 (338 Marlin Express, 500 S&W Magnum) Product #: 817490 Available $7.09

Yep, it must be me alright.

Rick

Why didn't you just choose the UPS Basic shipping option? I just entered all the items you listed above to check shipping (yeah I'm bored). Yeah, the flat rate shipping is high, but UPS Basic is $9.58. That's less than just one flat rate box. Why all the fuss?