RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Old Midway vibrator

Boolit Grand Master

Question Old Midway vibrator

I've been using two old Midway vibrators for at least 10 years.
    Never had a problem with eather one.
    I know they had some problems with them overheating in the past.
    How can you tell which one had the problem????
    On one, there is a metal cover, the other dosen't have it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old one a model 1292. It is a recall model. Has a plastic cover. When I use it I set it outdoors on a long cord. If it burns it burns its far away from the house. I don't like the noise it makes so I always set it outside anyways. Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    I have an old one a model 1292. It is a recall model. Has a plastic cover. When I use it I set it outdoors on a long cord. If it burns it burns its far away from the house. I don't like the noise it makes so I always set it outside anyways. Mike
    Sounds good to me!! I've heard that they were noisy. Never knew they were a fire hazard. Is the motor undersized causing it to work to hard??

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I have one of the 1292's and have used it for years with no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed except when I am loading!

burfurd

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my 1292 in the late 80's near as I can figure. Sent it back for the recall in the early 90's. Was pissed at the time since it cost me money to send it back, but Midway only gave me $10 store credit for my troubles.

I've run that machine so much that I wore through the bowl in 2005. I got a replacement for Christmas that year. Guess I'm set for another 20 years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Which is the one they recalled????
    The one with the plate on the bottom, or the one without????

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    I dunno about plates, but the recalled ones that were fixed have a barcode sticker underneath. My 1292 is a recalled/repaired one with the bar code sticker, there is no cover on the bottom, just the motor with the fan blade.

I've worn out two bowls in the 1292. The Harbor Freight replacement bowl (comes with 4# of walnut media) fits the 1292 just fine and comes with a new bowl and lid, 4# of walnut, a new rubber gasketed washer, a rubber seal around the top rim, and a new wing nut. And all this for ten bucks!

I also bought a Berrys CV400 as a backup, and it's a better tumbler than the 1292, but I use them both- one for cleaning, one for polishing.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Bub

The one with the alum. plate was upgraded during the recall . It should have a rounded cord set and large inline rocker switch .

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    The one with the alum. plate was upgraded during the recall . It should have a rounded cord set and large inline rocker switch .
    So it was the cord and switch that was repaired in the recall?
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Boolit Master
    My 1292 failed a few years ago--Midway sent me a new one, but a different model. What happened is that the plastic bowl was much too thin and a no. of holes wore through the bottom where the bowl was attached to the center bolt. Dust got below and into the motor--ruining it. A very poor design however they did make good on it The Franford Arsenal replacement has a much thicher plastic bowl that I doubt will ever leak dust. However some feel it is not as good as was the original---I am happy with it.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx1 View Post
    So it was the cord and switch that was repaired in the recall?
    I don't really know , but that's the way mine came back . Never had trouble with it since .

In Remembrance

I understood that the problem was the motor not getting enough air to cool it if set on carpet. Maybe that is a warning on the current one though, not sure. Mine has a roller switch on the cord.

Boolit Grand Master
    Both of mines have small roller switches on the cord.
    On one, the roller rolls towards the bowl.
    On the other, it rolls away from the bowl.
    ??????
    Never had any problems with either one.
    I oil the motor when I remember.
    One of them was a Midway moly kit.
    Came with three bowls, one see through and two regular covers, moly powder and the vibrator.
    Other was just the cleaning kit.
    One bowl, one clear cover and bag of corn cob.
    I always use them on a metal table or cement floor.
    In the beginning, I did put a box over it to keep the noise down, but was told it was a bad idea.
    The motor would overheat and maybe burn out.
    Who made these old Midway vibrators?????

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    My 1292 failed a few years ago--Midway sent me a new one, but a different model. What happened is that the plastic bowl was much too thin and a no. of holes wore through the bottom where the bowl was attached to the center bolt. Dust got below and into the motor--ruining it.

Yep, I wore out two bowls that way. The ridges molded into the inner hub of the bowl are thinner, and they wear out from the brass rubbing on it. It goes through faster if you use any liquids such as mineral spirits. The first time it happened it nearly seized the motor, but I was able to clean and lube it. The second time I saw dust down there, I stopped and inspected and caught it before any damage.

The Harbor Freight bowls work fine and only cost $10. I have a pair of them for my 1292 now.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Grand Master

The Harbor Freight bowls are identical to what I got as a replacement from Midway. same color and all.