WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: LNL AP new ejector system ?

LNL AP new ejector system ?

I just converted over to the new ejector system on my Hornady. I sent all of my shell plates to Nebraska for the $10 overhaul, and they are back.

I was loading .45 ACP when I tore down the press to switch out the base, so that's what I went back to when I got the shell plates back.

The reason I'm posting is that I'm a little frustrated. This new and improved ejector system isn't as reliable as the old one!

I'm having 2/3 cases hang in the last station now!

Now, I'm using a #1 shell plate, and it worked very reliably for me with the old wire ejection system. Do I need to switch to a #45 plate? Will that solve my problem?

Chris
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Don't have one, but do have the older ProJector. When researching new shellplates for my old unit, I now see they have a shellplate all alone for 45 ACP.

Boolit Buddy

Lnl ap

Well I don' t have the old version, but when I tried 45 ACP with the #1 shellholder with my new LNL AP, the cases hung up for me too. When I switched to the #45 shellholder it worked perfectly. Just like all other progressives, I have found that once you figure out the little tricks, they load great.

I really like my Hornady. I've had it for 6 months and it has ate up a good chunk of all my pistol ammo components. Oh well, back to the casting pot to make more boolits.

Boolit Master
    I have two LNL's, one older and one newer with the new ejector. My take is the old wire type ejector works better on the short 45 acp, but on the longer cases, such as 44 mag and 45 Colt the new system is much better. So that's how I use them.

Boolit Bub

I'm getting a lot fewer hanging on ejection... Still get one now and again that wants to be ornery... Biggest problem I had with the new bottom plate was poor machining and my primer feed kept hanging.. Had to shim up the primer tube to make it work right..

Banned

ive got two new ones and one of the old ones and i actually like the old one better. the only disadvantage i can see is the fact you cant use a factory crimp die in the last station. As to shell plates on the new ones. i had to buy a 45 plate to load acps on mine as theyd hang up all the time with a 308 plate. they should have saved the money they spent redesigning the ejection system and put it toward a more relibably primer feed and something other then that silly spring to hold in cases. Seems like im replaceing one about every week. The case feeder set up could stand some better engineering too. It doesnt run near as reliably as a dillon

Tighten down the shell plate, and be sure it stays tight, as they tend to loosen during a session. If you start to get ejection sticking, it means the plate has loosed up on the axle.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

+1 to August. It's a slightly loose shellplate that causes the hangup on the ezject system.

Thanks for your help guys - I have double and triple tightened the shell plate - I think I'll just buck up for the #45 shell plate.

If this thing gives me much more trouble I'm going to switch back to the old wire ejector!
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

The #45 shellplate solved my problems. Just my $.02

I had to switch to the #45 as well, seems they did make it for a reason

Banned

found another oddity. I was going to load 454s on mine and im using cut down 460 brass and found out my shell plate for the 45/454 wont work with 460s. My dillon 550 shell plate works fine. Kick in the teeth was that when i was aquireing stuff for the lnls i had someone sell me a 460 plate but i figured id never need it and sold it.

got the 45 plate today - loaded 10, ejected 10 - slick as a whistle........
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I had a little trouble with "hang-ups" on my new L-N-L AP also. Finally lifted the shell plate off and found that the machining on the "cam"/ Lug or whatever they call it had a "step" at the base where the milling cutter hadn't taken it down flush with the "deck" height. A couple of passes with a mill smooth file and the problem went away. It wasn't more than a few thousandths of an inch, but it was enough to cause cases to hang up occasionally. Hope this is of some help--- Stan

Never had a single problem of hang ups in my LNL, sorry to hear of your troubles