Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Plugging Holes on Lube Sizer?

Plugging Holes on Lube Sizer?

Okay, I've been casting boolits for almost 10 years now and I realize the learning never stops.

I was cruising through some threads and came across "plugging holes" on lube sizer dies? Do you mean you plug the holes you don't need on the sizer die?

If you do this, how, what material to plug the holes?

Does this eliminate the thin layer of lube that accumulates on the bottom of the boolits?

Thanks, looking forward to the advice.

If possible could you provide some pics or sketches?

Boolit Master

On the older Lyman H&I dies the top lube hole is not low enough in the die so when applying lube it gets in the crimp groove or on the nose depending on boolit type.
    To plug the holes and help control where the lube goes use #4 lead shot, clean the lube out
    of the holes you want to plug and drive in the shot with a small hammer.

"Does this eliminate the thin layer of lube that accumulates on the bottom of the boolits?"

No, as the boolit base must pass by some of the holes just to get all the drive bands sized.

Using less pressure on the lube screw helps control lube on the base. Some casters have used a gas check or foam washer on top of the push rod to help keep lube off of the base.
    I wipe all bases anyway so a small amount of lube doesn't bother me.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Plugging holes in the sizer die is normally for push through sizer's like a star. To plug the unneeded holes #9 bird shot works good then you can melt it out to reverse it. Plugging won't do anything for lube on the bottom of the boolit. FB

Moderator Emeritus
    Dan,

Plugging holes is usually only done with a Star sizing die. Each hole is drilled with two different diameters. A piece of shot is put into the hole and the smaller diameter (near the boolit) stops the shot and plugs the hole.

The need to plug holes is due to the way the Star operates. Pressure to the lube is provided at the bottom of the handle stroke and the boolit does not move at that instant in time. If you had an unplugged hole above or below the lube grooves, lube would be forced out there and make a mess. It is very different than a Lyman/RCBS.

John

Phew! Thought I had missed something all these years

Yes there is a tiny bit of lube on the base of every bullet but I simply fold a paper towel in half and set it on the bench next to the sizer and simply wipe off the base, problem solved that isn't really a problem.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I would want to plug any holes. I simply set the machine up to run the bullet down the proper depth. The Star sizer that makes sense because the boolit passes through.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have eliminated the need to plug holes on my star dies by ordering custom dies from lathesmaith. I get them with holes in the proper location for the particular bullet I’m sizing.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Buddy
    Plugging holes on either the Star sizer or the Lathesmith sizer die is no big deal. I use 7.5 shot taken from a shotgun round and there was enough probably to last me for the life of me and the luber/sizer. Taken them out is no big deal either. Just use a smaller drill bit than the size of the hole and the lead comes out rather easily. When the bit gets near the furthest point in the lead plug, the remainder of the plug comes right out so unless you are trying real hard to ruin a die it is damn near impossible to do. I insert the lead plugs simply by placing the shot on the hole and putting a brass flat punch on top of it and gently tapping it. You don't have to hit it very hard for it to seat nicely.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by opentop View Post
    I have eliminated the need to plug holes on my star dies by ordering custom dies from lathesmaith. I get them with holes in the proper location for the particular bullet I’m sizing.
    Just one flaw there opentop.

You get your die with the holes in the proper place for your mould and it works great.

Now here it is 1 year or 5 years or what ever later and you got a new mould, same caliber and the same size die is needed but uh-oh, the new mould has more lube grooves.

Now instead of plugging un-needed holes you get to buy a new die.

I always order new dies with as many rows of holes as possible and that diameter die is good for any combination of lube grooves.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    +1
    It's pretty easy to plug them with #9 shot and also easy to poke out from the inside with a curved dental pick. And no, I have never scratched the inside of the die doing that.

Boolit Buddy
    Double post, sorry.

anachronism
    I've had issues with Star dies leaking around the shot pellet. My solution was to run a band of JB Weld, or epoxy around the die to fully seal the hole. If you ever need to remove it, throw it in the freezer overnight, or heat it with a heat gun. If you do use epoxy, it is not really desirable for the die to be totally clean. A little bit of wax makes a great release agent for undoing the process.

Now instead of plugging un-needed holes you get to buy a new die.
    Yeap, I understand that and I don't mind buying a dedicated die for each bullet design. I have dies for single lube groove bullets, and dies for multi lube groove bullets. Besides, I get to support Lathesmith!
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by opentop View Post
    Besides, I get to support Lathesmith!
    There's always that but . . .

There's always a "but" isn't there?

I already have about 35 Star dies and that's quite the investment. Think I'll make the die purchases as versatile as possible.

Hopefully Lathesmith will forgive me.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    You guys are funny! Seriously, it just all depends on what you use your Star for, and how you use it. For the guy who casts and loads mostly one or two types of bullets in one caliber, it makes little sense to fool with plugging/unplugging rows of holes. OTOH, if you are like Rick and you have several designs in multiple calibers, it can get confusing(and expensive!) to have a die for each and every bullet design you own. So, kinda like the "less filling, tastes great" arguement, there really isn't a right or wrong answer here, just more or less what you prefer.

lathesmith

Boolit Grand Master

Yea but Lathesmith . . .

There's that "but" again . . .

Do ya forgive me?

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Now Rick...don't be silly. Forgiveness would imply a wrong somewhere, and as far as I know that ain't happened. Anybody who has that many Star dies and says good things about the presses, and those who make them(and stuff for them), has gotta be a pretty praiseworthy (and forgiven!) guy in my book.
    Have you seen that thread where the guy is running a poll asking how many molds that the casters here own? Heck, I think you need to run a poll about bullet(boolit) sizer dies. You might just "win" that one, especially if there is a sub-category for Stars! Keep up the good work man, toolmakers everywhere love ya!

lathesmith

Boolit Grand Master

I was just kinda lathesmith.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I was just kinda lathesmith.
    No worries there Rick, I can take it!