Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this and what's it worth?

What is this and what's it worth?

I received this as a partial swap,and was wondering what it's worth.
    I received it as you see it.
    There's a couple part's missing and when you go to cock it it doesn't stay cocked.
    It has a 5 digit serial number.

Last edited by zuke; 01-11-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Constructive possession of an unregistered Short-Barrel Rifle (SBR)? I believe I'd lose the barrel stub, myself.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

LOoks like someones Idea of a mares leg. I dont know what the rules in Ont. are, but here it would be bordering on a felony. It is worth a couple bills to an enterprising builder to restore. Cant hurt it much more than it is. You have the important part..

Boolit Grand Master

If the barrel was screwed into that gun, I would call it a prison sentence on the hoof in the US of A.

It originally was a Winchester 1892 lever action rifle. Somebody made a makeshife, US-illegal "pistol" out
    of it. With a 16" barrel, it will likely still be illegal in the US due to a min 26" overall length requirement.
    With a normal stock and 16" bbl it will be perfectly legal.

In the US, I be willing to pay $150 or maybe 200 for it, but not a penny more. This assumes that the internal
    parts are there and still not ruined or corroded too far to work well. If the internals are worn out, I wouldn't
    give more antn $100 and assemble it as a wall hanger.

So what are the laws in Canada on such items?

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 01-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Taken care of.
    Last edited by zuke; 01-11-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Banned

with the stock cut off,and the bbl shortened, it becomes a handgun.
    same as the rossi mares leg

Now don't gag on this fellas, but up here in Canada the Mare's Leg guns are considered as non-restricted just like a regular lever rifle. The Rossi and other Mare's Legs are being sold as this regularly. So he's not in the stew for having one of his own.

On the other hand while it's OK for the factory to produce and sell guns with short barrels it is very much against our laws to cut a barrel to under 18 inches for a manually operated gun and 18.5 inches for a semi auto. So if the old barrel was clearly cut down rather than being a factory delivered length then the barrel will need to be turned in for destruction. But it doesn't mean that Zuke can't go ahead and build this action back up with a stock lengh barrel.

Zuke, when you say you "took care of it" I hope you didn't slice it up into little bits and toss 'em... What you've got is obviously an EARLY Winchester 1892 chambered in .44WCF which, as I understand it, is the same as .44-40. Being as this is a fairly popular classic sort of ammo that is used a lot by cowboy action shooters it isn't hard at all to get brass and bullets. And if you're willing to pay the premium you can likely source some factory loaded ammo.

And as the 1892 is still a fairly popular rifle even parts are not that hard to get or all that expensive. It could be a great project to bring this ol' piece back to life.

If it were mine I'd look at finding a replacement shoulder stock to convert it back to a proper rifle. Especially if the barrel and magazine tube are not cut down TOO far.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I would rebuild it. It is a fun project and you will learn alot about how the system works. I have 3 origonal 1892's in 44WCF (44-40). They are fun carbines to shot. Average weight is about 5 1/2 pounds so easy to haul about all day. The 44 WCF is a fine cartrige to hunt with. Had one out yesterday (1907 vintage) and ran my last 20 rounds through it. With the proper sized boolit and a descent bore they will shoot golf ball clover leafs at 25 yards.
    Sounds to me a previous owner(s) have "worn out" the hammer notch and or the sear. Could be as simple as alot of crud build up. But all is repairable.
    Mike in ILL
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I look at that good ole 92 like a fun project. When she gets some replacement parts put back on her the other part of the fun project begins. If that old receiver could speak... Uh uh uh
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    i was going to say hog killing gun. but most of them i have seen were .22. it could be some ones idea of a trap line gun that they never finished.

i think this one would fall into duke's thread about rebuilding a beater winchester. i would agree on that move with this example.

That is prime for a rebuild. No collector value to worry about ruining. Those little 1892's are handy to have and loads of fun to shoot. Sure hope you didn't destroy it. JW

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a fun place to start but here in the US I'd lose the cut down parts. A firearm built as a rifle has minimum dimensions, a firearm built as a handgun doesn't have to meet those minimums. Even without those restrictions I'd look at it for what it could (and should) become. As Mike pointed out it's repairable, as long as the receiver is sound.
    Go for it and keep us posted.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'd agree with losing all the cut down parts but saving the rest of it . If you're a trading kind of guy watching for any parts to put it back together would be worth your time when you got it all done . I'm rather partial to the -20 cartridges for this type but any of them would be great .

There are lots of good reasons to make it a 32-20 .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Turning a 44-40 92 into a 32-20 involves replacing the bolt and extractor + the cartridge guide rails,much eaiser to leave it a 44-40 or a 38-40

Quote Originally Posted by herbert buckland View Post
    Turning a 44-40 92 into a 32-20 involves replacing the bolt and extractor + the cartridge guide rails,much eaiser to leave it a 44-40 or a 38-40
    Not to mention the diameter differences between .38/.44 & .25/.32 in magazine tube and (more importantly) the magazine throat (hole) bored through the front receiver wall, under the barrel hole.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

OK , I'd go with easy then .

Jack

Boolit Master

There are two frames for the 1892, the 25-20 and 32-20 has thicker sides and can not be converted to the larger calibers, and I suppose it would be hard to convert a large caliber frame to the small calibers. I make new barrels for the 92 quite often but can not send them to Canada. Stock is no problem, takes the same wood as a 94 which you can get from Brownells or Midway

Your giving me idea's on rebuilding this receiver instead of just selling it off.
    But I need everything in front of the receiver and wood to go with it.
    Can it be done? yes,but how much would it cost?

Boolit Grand Master

1992 parts check GPC and cut their price by half and that's what it will sell for on the open market.

Cost would be dependent on how good you come out on the trades you find . If you make this a long term project and not a rush it together rifle you may come out OK . If you are putting it together with the idea of big resale value you may be disappointed . So how often do you come across old usable parts ?

If you like lever rifles you could really enjoy putting it together then using it .

Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast