Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 25-35 Mould Recommendation?

Boolit Buddy

25-35 Mould Recommendation?

I am finally getting around to wanting to cast for my shorty 94 in 25-35. Was one of those combo rebounding hammer plus safety jobs Winchester made before the period of discontinuation of production. Shoots 117 jword hornadys great.

I want something over 100 grains because I realize I am going to be limited to about 1600 fps due to the high rate of twist on this barrel.

NEI has two offerings that would appear to work, one is a 110 grain and the other is a 114 grain. Does anyone know why I should maybe pick one over the other? Does one have a better alignment so far as a crimp grove? I am not really interested in the RCBS offering and I had planned on the Ranch Dog model, but looks like I am a day late and a dollar short. I appreciate any input or other options I might exercise.

Boolit Mold
    My 1894 25-35 likes the Lyman 257325 the best and it loads to proper length as far as the crimp groove is concerned. I'm not sure it is available anymore. I have also used the Lyman 257312, but it is not as useful since there are lube grooves exposed to get proper oa. length. That NEI 114 GC looks a lot like the 257325.

Boolit Man
    I have the same Winchester Angle eject rifle.
    I also have both of the NEI bullets and I shoot the 25-35 in the lever and single shot rifles.
    The NEI No. 23 110-grain bullet is the one you want. This bullet a crimp groove in the proper position.
    The bullet in .904” long. .330” from the crimp groove to the nose. I use a COAL of 2.530”.
    The meplat is .155” across.
    You figured about right on velocity and the bullet delivers very good accuracy in my rifle.
    A variety of powders work for me but I have found powders on the fast side to deliver the best accuracy. I have shot some 2” 5 shot groups at 50-yards with this bullet - not many, but a few and I am not disappointed in the bullets performance.
    I have no complaints with my NEI molds.
    Slim

Question 25-35 Mould Recommendation?

I have one of these rifles and have not been able to get it to shoot the Hornady 117's and have ordered some cast samples from the Bullshop to see what works best. If I may ask what is the load you are using for the Hornady's? I think this is a great little walking around rifle and would love to get it shooting right.

Thomas

Boolit Man
    I am a bit uncomfortable starting a discussion of copper panty bullets on th Cast Boolets board. Take a look at this thread on the Beartooth Shooters Forum and if you want to discuss jacketed bullets we could post on this one or you could start another. Many Beartooth members are on this forum too!

http://www.shootersforum.com/handloa...-35-loads.html
    Slim

Thank you sir for the information. I will also be interested in this thread regarding the cast boolits as I will be trying to figure out which one of them works best in my rifle.

Thomas

Boolit Master
    I have an article from when I was looking for initial .25 Rem loads(a rimless .25-35) on up to date .25-35 loads. They used the NEI 115.257 GC mold in the authors 1909 '94. They were getting <2" groups at 50 yds out of the old rifle. I have been hunting for a heavier .25cal mold myself, and the last Lyman 257325 mold on fleabay went for about $130.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb Center View Post
    My 1894 25-35 likes the Lyman 257325 the best and it loads to proper length as far as the crimp groove is concerned. I'm not sure it is available anymore. I have also used the Lyman 257312, but it is not as useful since there are lube grooves exposed to get proper oa. length. That NEI 114 GC looks a lot like the 257325.

I agree 100% on the Lyman 257325 and 257312 I used both in a Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin . Also used the 257312 in the 25-20 a bit . I had an NEI mold that was 114 grains I believe with a flat point but I didn't use it enough to make much comment before I sold the rifle and mold !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I have been hunting for a heavier .25cal mold myself, and the last Lyman 257325 mold on fleabay went for about $130.
    I had a pair of 257325 molds !

One was single cavity and the other was double . Sold them both on this website . Think I got $65 for the two cavity and $45 for the single .Of course that was 3 or 4 years ago .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines