Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll

80 39.22%
  • 30-06

124 60.78%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 308 or 30-06?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    '06........tradition, dammit!

Of course, I don't own any .308's.....might have something to do with it.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I picked the 06 because of the availability of surplus brass.
    That's one of the reasons I started with the '06. I think that means we're old.

As for those who say the .308 kicks less than the '06, if I'm not mistaken, Newton's Laws are still in effect. A 150 gr bullet fired at 2800 fps from either cartridge in the same weight rifle will surely develop exactly the same recoil. Since some of you guys extol the virtues of the shorter, lighter .308 rifles, the laws of physics dictate that the .308 will actually develop MORE recoil with the same bullet at the same velocity, due to the lighter rifle. Not trying to raise a ruckus here, just pointing out the myth.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

20 years ago I would have said 06 hands down. However, after much experiance with both ctgs over a long period of time, would now go with 308. It looses in the heavy blt catagory only 180 and above. But below 180 and with a savings of pdr, and being cheap must say 308.
    1Shirt!:
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I mentioned my 30-06 to .308 chamber adapter. That got me thinking, I need a spare. I really like multi-caliber versatility in a gun, just in case. Anyone know a good source for adapters? I dreamed up the ultimate adaptor, it fires .223 in a '06/.308/7.62x39. Impossible?

Myth?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    That's one of the reasons I started with the '06. I think that means we're old.

As for those who say the .308 kicks less than the '06, if I'm not mistaken, Newton's Laws are still in effect. A 150 gr bullet fired at 2800 fps from either cartridge in the same weight rifle will surely develop exactly the same recoil. Since some of you guys extol the virtues of the shorter, lighter .308 rifles, the laws of physics dictate that the .308 will actually develop MORE recoil with the same bullet at the same velocity, due to the lighter rifle. Not trying to raise a ruckus here, just pointing out the myth.

Regards,

Stew

With comparable loads my .308 Garands do kick noticeably less than the other '06 guns. I think it has something to do with the fact that the .308 burns a lot less powder and thus ejects less gas volume out the muzzle. I think that the volume of gas pressure blown out the muzzle contributes some to the level of recoil. More powder equates to more gas volume.

It would be interesting to know whether there has been anything studied or documented in this regard.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Dualsport

For chamber adapters try MCA Sports / ACE Bullet Co. here is the link
    http://www.mcace.com/index.htm

Blacksmith

Boolit Master
    I have both, but the 30-06 is my favorite. I actually own more .308's than 30-06's, but when I go hunting I usually take the 30-06. I have killed more deer, coyotes and hogs with the 30-06. My bolt action 30-06 is the most accurate rifle I own and I can shoot my Garand better than any other rifle with open sights. I shoot more .308 at the range, and more cast bullets in .308. The real advantage of the 30-06 comes with 180 gr and heavier bullets. In reality they are both fine cartridges, and either is an excellent choice.

G

I own five rifles in 30-06 and only four in .308. If you want a short throw bolt gun or a levergun like the Winny 88 than the 308 is what you want. If you want a regular throw bolt gun or a single shot then the 30.06 is the way to go. I like em both with an ever so slight nod to the 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master

For cast bullet shooting I prefer the .308W/7.62 because it is readily available with 12" twist barrels. I prefer the '06 for hunting with J bullets but for all around cast bullet shooting the .308W with a 14" twist Palma barrel is very difficult to beat.

Larry Gibson

30/06
    The road to HELL is paved with "good intentions"!

I drink ROCKSTAR and JOLT!

Boolit Master
    I've only got two 06's right now, but have had plenty others, it's quite boring, but darn it works good. Never had any 308's but have loaded for and shot them and like them very much, IMO they are both very, very good rounds. Oddly I much prefer the either bigger or smaller calibers, and usually hunt with some form of a .338 in a 06 format, Win Mag or the Ultra and am currently working loads for a friends Lapua. Maybe I'll try that Federal (08) cartridge soon.

Boolit Master

I didn't vote 'cause like the senior citizen's underwear, it Depends. What do you want it to do or to be? I think I've got 3 30-06's and a couple of 308's. The nod always goes to the '06 UNLESS I'm choosing short, light and/or lever. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

I don't own one, BUT

I go for 308.

Do like my aught sixes though . . . cast and coated
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Blacksmith, thanks for the link, I'm going to check out their custom adapters.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    With comparable loads my .308 Garands do kick noticeably less than the other '06 guns. I think it has something to do with the fact that the .308 burns a lot less powder and thus ejects less gas volume out the muzzle. I think that the volume of gas pressure blown out the muzzle contributes some to the level of recoil. More powder equates to more gas volume.

It would be interesting to know whether there has been anything studied or documented in this regard.
    After I posted, I realized someone was going to bring this up. My response is that, like the new Hornady "Superformance" ammo, with the right powder selection, you can get most of the powder to burn within the barrel, thereby lowering the muzzle pressure. Muzzle pressure is what causes the additional recoil, not simply the mass of powder burned. Read the Hornady press release for a better explanation.

So, add the factor of both the '06 and the .308 having the same muzzle pressure and we're back to the nearly equal recoil factor.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

My vote is for the .308,
    I have a Browning Stainless Hunter in .308 and love it.
    It has taken its share of meat, + the bullets always go exactly where I want them to. Both hunting, and at the range.
    150 grain bullets at 2900+ fps is possible (published data - Speer) with Reloader 15 - and deadly accurate, at least in my rifle.

On a side note - most of my .308 brass is formed from 30-06 ... Does that mean that I am firing both at the same time ???

Boolit Buddy
    Bah, yer all nuts!

A 200 - 220 grain boolit at 1600 or so out of my M1922 Krag Carbine will kill anything in N. America about as dead as it can get. A 130 gr. Boolit at 1300 will take care of the plinking and small game. I don't really need much else. Even the most hardcore .308/'06 fan has to look on that loverly, looong .30-40 neck with some envy.

Your mileage may, and very likely will, vary.

Widely.

Gerry N.

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    I mentioned my 30-06 to .308 chamber adapter. That got me thinking, I need a spare. I really like multi-caliber versatility in a gun, just in case. Anyone know a good source for adapters? I dreamed up the ultimate adaptor, it fires .223 in a '06/.308/7.62x39. Impossible?
    i think that might be impossible...unless it comes with a barrel adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
    My vote is for the .308.......
    Ditto for me.

Boolit Master
    I do suffer from neck envy, I admit it And I do love rimmed cartridges. But the neck I have to work with on my '06 is ok, maybe not loverly, but ok.