204. You may not vote on this poll

80 39.22%
  • 30-06

124 60.78%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 308 or 30-06?

Boolit Master

308 or 30-06?

Yes I know it is a hard question, and I am also aware that there are other 30cal cartridges out there, but which is your favorite? Feel free to post why.

Boolit Buddy

The 'o6 has more flexability in loading , the smaller 308 ,while a fine cartridge seems to run out of case cap with some of the slower powders I have used. Both are more than accurate enough for my uses and my 308 is prolly my favorite rifle, but I started with the '06 and really like to load for it. my.02
    John

I voted for the 308 however that only applies to cbs and plinking. I personally prefer to fill the case as much as possible and feel the 308 capacity is more suited to cb velocities. With J word bullets the gap closes quite a bit. However, I prefer the 30-06 for an all around hunting rifle. I hunt in areas where 100 yds is a long shot and I prefer a heavier, slower boolit. I am sure others will disagree but that is my humble opinion. So I guess my real answer is it depends on the desired use.

Boolit Buddy
    i'll have to go with the 308 just due to the fact that i have had extensive training with it and it is more familular and comfortable to me// but to each his own
    mule

Boolit Master

Talking Tough Choice!

Man tough choice since I have both and like both. Had to go with 06 over 308 though. I've had 30-06 since I could hunt and know the cartridge pretty well, I've only owned 308's for about 15 years. Pretty hard to beat the 'ole ought-six in my mind.

If I had to hump ammo all day and needed as much as I could carry to stay alive then the 308 wins.................
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

good question

It's good that this is a question that's easy to answer: Which do you like ? If it was "which is better?" there is no real answer. Since everybody is different, there is a different right answer for everybody. Also, if you sat down with 2 identical rifles loaded with max loads and 165gr boolits, but didn't know which was the '08 and which was the '06, could you really tell the difference ?

I like the 308. Originally the thing that decided me was the availability of cheap and plentiful military brass. Another thing is that the government does a lot of research to pick good cartridges, and once chosen, they rarely become obsolete.

I now buy new commercial brass; known history, larger capacity and no primer crimp are well worth the greater cost. Cast boolits give me great results easily. The short action is lighter and faster, and cartridges are lighter. It kills deer like a hammer. Bullets from 100gr to 200gr all work well. I even load 55 gr 0.224 bullets in sabots for home brewed Accelerator loads, which are no longer available from Remington.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Grand Master
    The .308 was my second centerfire rifle, and I killed my first Elk with it. I still own that rifle.

Over the years, I've owned three 30/06's, and ended up selling or trading off all of them. I just haven't found anything the 30/06 would do that the the .308 wouldn't.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

I like the '06- good enough for two world wars, and can take out anything in North Am short of a Griz.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy

My vote goes to the .308. I purchased my first one in 1961 and have always had at least one. At present, I have four. Yep, it's about 100fps slower than the .30-06, but the critters don't seem to notice the difference plus the accuracy always seemed better.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Bub
    I own 1 of each but I dont know enough about either to make a valid remark. I have been loading for the .308 and have been having fun.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    The 30-06 will shoot heavier bullets to a higher velocity than the 308. Maybe the speed difference is academic, but it does exist.

I've only owned one .308. It was a circa. 1973 Winchester Model 70A (no hinged floor plate) that I bought via the Navy Exchange for my wife to use as a deer rifle. She was the first to shoot it and complained about the recoil. So I shot it. I found out what she was talking about. That #&))&@# rifle kicked like a mule! Shooting 150 gr bullets from it was like shooting 180 or 200 gr bullets from any of the 30-06s I've owned. Now, I know it was the design of the stock, not the cartridge, but since I have '06s that suit my needs, I've never had the urge to buy another .308. I may be missing something by not having one, but I'm not sure what. I would buy an M1-A if I could scrape up the $$ for it. I'm not against the .308, I just don't have much use for it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Voted .308.

Basically almost identical performance in a shorter package! This means handier rifles like Savage 99's and carbine length bolt guns. For most game in the 48 states the 308 will get it done.

If I ever plan on being some place I got to deal with Griz I have a Marlin Model 95 in 45-70!

Boolit Grand Master

30/06

Call me nostalgic but one of my favorite hunting rifles is an open sighted Husqvarna bolt gun in '06. Look at all of the different variants it has spawned 25/06, 270Win, 280Rem, 35 Whelan and a host of others. If the parent case wasn't near perfection than how would wildcatting it be so prevelant?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Went with the .308 simply 'cause the both my .308s shoot better with case...which accounts for better than 90% of my ammo these days...than either of my .30-06s. On the other hand, for heavy (180-200 gr) JBs at upper-end velocities, I'll go with my Douglas-barreled FN Mauser every time.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

30-06

Because it is an age old classic and I am fast getting to a similar age. The .308 is good also but I LIKE the '06 and it will do everything I need it to. Store bought ammo from 55 gr. to 220 gr. and reloads can offer even more choices and everything in between.

Blacksmith

In all actuality, I think it is just about a coin toss... I have '06s because that is what my dad reloaded and I learned to shoot... I love the 94 lever guns, but that is a different subject... I have a couple Garands too... so, if I am going to reload, I like to keep it to a few cartridges rather than a bunch of different ones...

I love both of them, but I have to pick .308 due to the availability of once-fired brass.
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Moderator Emeritus

I picked the 06 because of the availability of surplus brass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

308 for me. I have 3 of em. Love that short action &performance. Yes, if someone said "Mike, we're going big bear hunting in Alaska" I would get me a 30-06 & load up some 200 odd grain bullets and stuff her full of slow powder. But by golly,that hasn't happened yet!! Certainly, they're both teriffic cartridges. enjoy Mike

Boolit Buddy
    .30-06 cause i have only shot and loaded for it.