Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help & thoughts needed

Posty,

I've been shooting the H&A set-screw style for years and never had any problems. I normally dimple the breechplug for the top screw and use a tapered screw so when you pull the barrel off or swap it with another barrel, the taper on the screw and plug bring it right back into place every time. On the H&A and my own actions, the breech end of the barrel buts tight to the action face plus you have the 5/8" dowelpin/breechplug going into the action, it's a far superior mechanical connection than the hook-breeches that were used on English guns including the huge-bore doubles. If you've ever messed with a Mowrey or similar rifles where the barrel is threaded to the action, they're a pain in the butt and you can't swap barrels without major hassles. Pinned barrels are problematic too, swapping barrels is a pain in the backside and when the pin hole wears or otherwise get buggered-up, you have to ream the holes and make your own pins - goes back to making things cheaper & faster on the assembly line. I don't recall who but at some point I saw an underhammer with a double-treaded breechplug, screwed into the barrel on one end and breech on the other. That's all fine and dandy but the slightest amount of wear on the threads, action face or breech face and you're barrel is not going to stop in the same position every time ... so then what? Shim washers?

The weakest point of any gun is the wrist and I've got that problem cured.

Banned
    Still waiting to see a pic of that cure

I am thinking that if I am going to modernize this critter with a wusspad I might just go ahead and put something like this just in front of the receiver mounted to the barrel:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=783162

I KNOW they work well...little ugly but they work...I will just have to make it fit the bigger barrel.......I know how to do that .... I wrap emery around the object to be fit and stroke away...it works well if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Whats the point of a high dollar and classy express sight at that point right? UTILITARIAN....I can live with that. "Cheating" a peep for distance is something I am good at so why not?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    A good plan would be to copy the H&A underhammer in 58. I got to shoot a friends brothers rifle about 15 years ago. Nice rifle of approximately the right weight for heavy charges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12