RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percussion Caps

Boolit Master

Percussion Caps

Went to get some from the stash and discovered I'm almost out. Prices seem to be horrible - Wally World wants $6.47 plus tax for 100 CCI #11 Magnums where Midway wants $45.49 per 1000 plus $9.00 freight. The last I bought were 5 rolls from Navy Arms for $2.00 per hundred.

Never used these "Magnum" caps before - are they worth the extra cost? I have a drum and nipple rifle that's always been a bear to ignite and thought these may be the solution...........
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I use the CCI mag caps and they work good. Are they better, I don't know and don't plan a test but if they are availble buy them. Most all my shooting is done with Goex 2F and I have never had a mis-fire, end of test.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Your going to pay a ridiculous price for caps no matter which brand you buy. I would recommend RWS 1075+ though.

And don't forget the HAZMAT.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Go to Dixie Gun Works, and buy a Tap-A-Cap and make your own.

We sued them for years until one day we figured out flinters were the superior ingition system

Boolit Grand Master

Boy I sure feel sorry for you cap lock shooters, my last PRIMERS were free. A buddy gave me a 10 pound flint nodule from Kansas, should last me a couple of years!

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried the Tap-O-Cap, even found some decent paper caps to try in them. Still couldn't get better than 30% actually working. I've heard that if you use the heads off strike anywhere matches for a primer compound it works very well. Well, have strike anywhere matches been banned too? No stores carry them!

Boolit Master

If you find em getem

Back Creek in Winchester shows various caps from $45 to $70 K. I have some #11s I bought from Dixie in 1971, red plastic Dixie can, and they still go POW every time. I have some "UNION" caps that my grandfather left (probably circa late 40s early 50s) and they still work too. Stock up if you find them cheap. Vacum pack and store in surplus ammo cans and they will be good for your grandchildren with proper care. 10 ga
    Last edited by 10 ga; 08-28-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: misspelling

Banned

I like the #11 mag caps better in my caplock, I've noticed an improved ignition in cold or wet weather. I only use black powder, FYI.

I'd pay the extra for them.

LeadFred,

I did a quick search of Dixie and could not find a tap-o-cap anywhere. I would like to find one and see if it will work for me in my caplocks. Do you know anywhere else I can find it (or maybe I did not do a proper search of Dixie)?

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Careful, those red plastic can dixie caps from the early 70s were corrosive, and a pain in the *utt because of extremely hard cups.

I'm happy I used mine up.

As I posted last year in late fall, cruise wally's when they stary to put seasonal sporting goods on sale. I grabbed 1500 # ll mag caps in tins at a darn good price when the clerk tipped me off. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Quote Originally Posted by 1874Sharps View Post
    LeadFred,

I did a quick search of Dixie and could not find a tap-o-cap anywhere. I would like to find one and see if it will work for me in my caplocks. Do you know anywhere else I can find it (or maybe I did not do a proper search of Dixie)?

I have not had a caplock on over 25 years. My friend who I gave my tap-a-cap to, still uses it.

Dixie's website sucks, Id call them and ask.

we used kids cap gun caps in them, but super glued 4f on the bottom of the cap.
    Had the normal amount of misfires for any cap.

Now I use flints, and have long ago given up on cap guns.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Im such a dumb donkey,
    They are called tap-O-cap

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00070TC1000

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open...en_sight.htm/9

all kinds of info, if you use the right name

Boolit Master

Midway has it, but it is on back order.

Boolit Grand Master

You can still find the strike anyware matches but I don't see them as much as I used to. Usually in a store that sells farm supplies or camping type stuff.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Dixie gunworks tap o cap part # MI0730 And by the way it only works with the real stuff.
    Aim small, miss small!

Thanks, boys. I have the tap=o=cap in my Midway shopping cart in backorder status.

Boolit Master

Mid South has Tap O Caps,but in my opinion don't waste your money.I don't think they work all that good,I guess the biggest problem is that you can not find good caps.I have tried a variety of them and none really work.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    I use CCI standard and magnum caps, depending what I can find. Last time I found several 1000 magnums, bought them up and am happy. So get the magnums and enjoy some smoke pole shooting!

I just shot about 80 of the magnums yesterday from wally world, they seem to work well in both my Hawken and Greyhawk.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Rotweil caps, however the CCIs are good too. Only caps I've ever had any trouble with are the "Big Green" Remington caps. As I shoot BP I really didn't notice any more corrosion from any type of caps. 10 ga

Boolit Master

I use both mag caps and regular caps and I am slowly moving toward nothing but mag caps except for two of my pistols which I can't use mag caps on because they just seem to create to much pressure.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast