Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Stock rifles?

Boolit Man
    Hello,

Nice little article on Realguns.com about the CZ 550 FS and the 9.3x62.
    Shows the rifle disassembled so you can see the stock inletting and recoil lug areas.
    Accurate for him also.

John

Boolit Master
    Any wood used from the 19th century on back to caveman days was seasoned for years, if the item was intended to last more than a few months that is.
    The British ran short of properly seasoned timber duringb the Napoleonic wars and the ships they built then seldom lasted a third as long as older ships built with properly seasoned wood.
    I forget the exact figures, but the wood had been lain up specifically for ships timbers, they just had too put it to use a few years too soon.

Same pretty much went for military rifle stocks.
    The stocks that survive unaltered are usually those made from well seasoned wood. Those that didn't survive unaltered were of less well seasoned wood.
    Many a WW1 era rifle was "bought to produce" due to poorly seasoned wood, some were restocked while others were badly rusted below the wood line and reduced to scrap.
    Rarely a lower quality stock will season in place, more by luck than design.

many years ago Browning/FN tried rushing the seasoning process, and ended up with stocks contaminated with salts that destroyed many a fine sporting rifle.

If I couldn't be assured that a stock blank was properly seasoned, I'd opt for a laminated stock.
    Properly done a laminated stock is unlikely to shift due to atmospheric effects.
    Usually heavier though.

I like the looks of Mauser's "Special range rifle" of 1925. They are reissuing it. It blends the best features of the military stock and handguard with the mannlicher style sporter stock. The abreviated tangent sight looks rugged .

Boolit Master

I have a CZ 527 FS rifle in .223. It was a pita to find mounts for but now properly wearing a Leopold scope it is a fine weapon. It will shoot j word bullets into less than 1 MOA at 100 and further if the wind is light.

However I have yet been able to get a decent cast load to work in the gun. Even so with the single set trigger and the nice balance I cannot wait to take it out on a coyote hunt.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a mania for Mannlicher style guns. I have in my collection a SAKO in .338 Mag. If you think that muzzle brakes are noisey try and fire this puppy with full bore loads and it's 18 1/2" barrel. An engraved Krieghoff presented to a german pilot in WWII with double set triggers in 6.5X57mm. A Ruger International in .308. A Steyr mannlicher in 7X57. They are all light and more importantly to me, well balanced, easily carried and accurate.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I have always thought that the only way to build a service manlicher stock rifle would be with a laminated stock. You said yours is laminated. Whose blank is it?

Boolit Man

Cz550 fs

My CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 is a sub-MOA rifle when I do my part. It easily out shoots my CZ 550 American premium in 30-06 which wears a standard stock. I think my CZ 550 FS is a bit heavy for what it is, but it balances very well and is quick to the shoulder. Pending funds, I believe I will try and pick up a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 next.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcollins View Post
    I have always thought that the only way to build a service manlicher stock rifle would be with a laminated stock. You said yours is laminated. Whose blank is it?
    I did the lamination on the rifle I linked to here. I was working at Serengeti Rifles when I built mine, and used our accubond equipment to do it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slogg76 View Post
    My CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 is a sub-MOA rifle when I do my part. It easily out shoots my CZ 550 American premium in 30-06 which wears a standard stock. I think my CZ 550 FS is a bit heavy for what it is, but it balances very well and is quick to the shoulder. Pending funds, I believe I will try and pick up a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 next.
    My 550 FS in 6.5X55 is a real shooter too. One in the 9.3 is high on my list also.

Boolit Master

in 1976 i built my full stock rifle a ruger short action, with a shilen match barrel in 350 rem mag with a 18 1/2 inch barrel, canjar trigger, and a 4 A fancy walnut stock from fajen and a leupold 1.75 x 6 scope. ive hunted with this rifle every year since and it is a dream to hunt with at 7 1/2 lbs, it will allways shoot a inch to a 1 1/4 group at 100 yards. and it is full length bedded to the end of the stock

Banned

ive got an international in 250 sav. Its very accurate and does the job on deer at 200 yards with no problem

Boolit Mold

My CZ 550 FS

....Is in 30-06 and is very accurate (with in 1 MOA) with 180 gr. Remington PSPs. I have not tried any cast in it yet....[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

Nice looking rifle, waksupi....

Get a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62! Bit more than a 35 Whelen by the way. I think they are more comparable to a 375 H&H. At least that is what all the recent magazine articles will tell you. I have a 30-06 and 9.3x62 in 550FS's. I also have a 222 in a 527FS. Have had them for years and they are all some of the more accurate rifles I own. With the right load any CZ I have seen will touch holes at 100 yards if you are up to it.