Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An off topic Aw Sh*t

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson
    Tried the spine shot many times when trapping, only worked once. Skunk spray earned me many excused absences from school, just bad luck?
    Nope. Just tough to do right. That's why, as "inhumane" as it is, we would lung them.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    I shoot at a fairly nice range. There is a bathroom with the mens on one side, womens on the other. The piping runs between the two with a door accessable from the womens restroom. Several years ago, a momma skunk took up residence under the slab that the restrooms are built on. I decided on flooding them out one day. I opened the womens restroom to get the hose, hooked it up to the outdoor faucet and let it flow. After about 15 minutes, momma comes out and starts poking around. Baby no. 1 poked its head above the slab and momma walks over and grabs it by the scruff of the neck. Momma then does an about face and deposits it in the womens bathroom. Baby no. 2 poked its head up and momma repeated the prior performance. Baby no 3 got the same treatment while babes 4 and 5 followed momma into the womens restroom.

At this point, I have six skunks in the nice, dry and cool womens restroom. Momma is in no hurry to exit the place. After several minutes of thunkin, I sneaked into the mens room and shoved the hose in the exhaust vent to the piping. Half an hour later, Momma and babes waddle out of the bathroom and beeline for a hole under the club house.

I had succeeded in flooding the women's restroom and relocating the skunks to the clubhouse. The only consolation was that no spraying was involved.

The skunks mysteriously died of lead posioning a month or so later.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7br

The skunks mysteriously died of lead posioning a month or so later.

gee, don't ya hate it when that happens...
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master

Our old trapline trick was to put a hypodermic syringe on the end of a pole and fill it with acetone. You could just walk up and poke them with the syringe and a couple of minutes later they dropped dead without spraying. They wont spray if yu are facing them and the hypo didn't seem to bother them. We were trapping for scent at the time and we really like to keep them as full as possible.

I met a gentleman in Colorado many years ago who owned a beekeeping business right next to a polo club. He was forever battleing skunks because they like to eat bees out of the hives. He'd grab his rifle and gently herd them over to the polo club and dispatch them on the polo club's playing field. To my knowledge, they never had the common sense to figure out the source of their curse.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO
    Our old trapline trick was to put a hypodermic syringe on the end of a pole and fill it with acetone. You could just walk up and poke them with the syringe and a couple of minutes later they dropped dead without spraying. They wont spray if yu are facing them and the hypo didn't seem to bother them. We were trapping for scent at the time and we really like to keep them as full as possible.
    These were in my wife's flower beds in the front yard. It really makes you plan your shots, ie- open door a crack, peek out screen, open screen door, extend 38 and shoot. long time ago and the only time I really targeted skunks as a trapper. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    This has been good reading, I think I can smell one now.

Thanks
    David

Boolit Master
    While in high school my brother ran a trapline for muskrats. Occassionly he would catch a skunk. To release it he would sneek up on it and grab its tail, lifting hind legs off the ground. He would release the leg hold and throw the skunk a goodly distance away. No problem. Once and uncle went with him just to enjoy to outdoors. That day he had a skunk in a trap. Uncle claimed he did nothing,bro says uncle distracted him at a CRITICAL point. Bro got sprayed full on at close range. Uncle made him ride on tailgate of suburban. Our mother would not let him in the house. Made him strip outside in the middle of a snow storm. Clothes were burned. We never took a gun when checking trapline. Muskrats that did not drown were dispatched with a stout stick with a knob on end. At that time price for skunk pelts wasn't very much.

Boolit Bub
    Skunks are attracted to our place by the cat food, which is left in a strategic location under a motion light. When the light kicks on, it shines in our bedroom window. Many's the night I've leapt out of bed to see what furry creature has come to visit. (my wife laughs at me)

After harvesting several skunks one summer, I happened to look back toward the house, and saw my wife was standing by the door watching. Cheering me on, no doubt. THEN I realized she was there so she could rapidly lock the door if I were sprayed! (now I grab my keys as well as my rifle)

I have 2 small tips to add to this wealth of knowlege:

1) If a skunk leaves a puddle on your driveway (concrete), a little gasoline removes the smell rapidly. Just use enough to cover the spot, and as it evaporates, so does the smell.

2) A standard post-hole digger is a great tool for burying the dearly departed- just be sure to drop him in south-end first, or he may come back to haunt you!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke
    They should bottle that crap, i bet it would work better than pepper spray....
    They do. It's called mercaptan and one of it's components (phenol- or butyl-, I can't remember which) is what is used to impart the odor to otherwise odorless propane and LNG. The synthesis isn't too difficult, but I not so fondly remember my chem class being cancelled and the whole buliding evacuated when some clumsy fool knocked over a flask of it near the building's air intake. As luck would have it, I was not that fool. He was, however, my lab partner, so I was on the other side of a small lab bench from ground zero. I will never forget the look of abject horror on the professor's face as he realized what had happened. He was right behind me out the door yelling "Everyone get out of here fast!" I did manage to pass the course, but everyone called my partner "Pepe" afterwards. It still can't compare with the real thing, though.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

Many years back I was hunting pheasant in a marsh, next to my house, when my 2 labs got very birdy and I follow them in ready for some shooting...........then the smell hit. out came the labs foaming at the mouth and try to clear their eyes. Out came the skunk and he quickly ate some #6 shot. As I was walking away I looked back and here came my big lab with said kill in his mouth. Great retriever.

I figured that hunt was over and headed back to the house. 10 minutes later, almost home, the old lab got birdy. I looked at him and said yeah right, your nose isn't working so good. As I walked away from him toward the house, I watched 6 roosters come up. All just out of range since I didn't follow him.
    Gus

Good Thread...
    Sure brings back the olfactory memories....
    One winters eve many years back I was pickin' up my conveyor man at the power plant I werk at and as he got in the truck we spied a skunk under the scrap pipe rack behind the maintenance shop...
    We proceded ta really rile him good with some well aimed snow balls n had him runnin' back n forth under that pipe rack like one a them ducks in a shootin' gallery....
    Bout that time the 2 mechanics on night duty got curious what the heck that wackin' on thier back wall was n opened the door to the shop fer a look see....bad move....that door was right at the end of said scrap pipe rack n the beleaguered skunk ran right in....he gave a good squirt ta our only female employee who was holdin' the door open.....we beat a very hasty retreat ta the other door n waited a bit n went in......you could smell that gal's new perfume fer long time...
    Regard's John

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by versifier
    They do. It's called mercaptan and one of it's components (phenol- or butyl-, I can't remember which) is what is used to impart the odor to otherwise odorless propane and LNG. The synthesis isn't too difficult, but I not so fondly remember my chem class being cancelled and the whole buliding evacuated when some clumsy fool knocked over a flask of it near the building's air intake. As luck would have it, I was not that fool. He was, however, my lab partner, so I was on the other side of a small lab bench from ground zero. I will never forget the look of abject horror on the professor's face as he realized what had happened. He was right behind me out the door yelling "Everyone get out of here fast!" I did manage to pass the course, but everyone called my partner "Pepe" afterwards. It still can't compare with the real thing, though.
    About 25 years ago we would have a tanker truck of mercaptan come in and refill our 125 gallon odorizer and burn off the 600lbs pressure in the tank to get it to a safe fillable level. That had some smell to it but nothing like going back to the smaller taps and filling the 20 gallon drips with a gallon bottle. You would drive to the far end of the system, lock the honey wagon trailer in a fenced station drive to town and eat a big breakfast followed by a milk shake. Leather boots and belts stayed in the truck for rubber boots. Then drive to the farthest farm tap and fill all day long. If you tried to eat before the next day it would probably come back to visit you. Leather would absorb the smell and hold it for at least a month. Purex or clorox is a neutralizer but eats your clothes also. 1 drop was enough to put odor intoabout 5000 cubic feet of gas, and one spill was a haznat clean up but never happened on my watch. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Years ago, in another life, I was managing a whitewater rafting company which ran on the Gauley river in WV every fall when the Army Corps of Enginners drew down the lake behind Summersville Dam. The last few years I worked there we based our guide crew out of a campground near the little Summersville airport. That situation was chronically plaqued by two things: skunks and speed traps on Rt 19 through Summersville.
    The owner of the campground would supply us with CB caps to hunt the skunks at night, during the week when the campground was mostly empty. On a busy night we'd kill 15 or 20 skunks with some pretty mixed results. Some beer may have been involved at times, and disposing of the poorly hit skunks fell to the poor soul who'd made the bad shot. Eventually we came upon a solution which worked pretty well. We had a pretty fair archer among us and the solution involved using an old broadhead with one of those Zwicky bird catchers on the shaft of the arrow. We'd drive slowly through the campground with Joe, (the archer), standing up in the back of the truck, wearing a headlamp and holding the bow at the ready. When we came upon a skunk joe would quill it to the ground, which kept it from being able to spray, and one of us would jump out and finish it at close range with a CB cap to the head. Then we could lift the skunk up on the arrow and shake it into a feed sack. When we had a couple of sacks full we'd drive on out to where the latest speed trap had been set up and deposit the dead skunks. One load of birdshot into the pile on the way out activated the speed trap deterant.
    I would generally bring a couple of coolers of frozen moose meat along down to help keep our food bills low and our guide camp came to be known as "The Road Kill Cafe".
    BD

Boolit Grand Master

Gussy
    I shouldn't have laughed. Last night I found a momma and 4 kits living under the neighbor lady's shed. Now I have a family to get rid of.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a kid 30some years ago I had a '49 Chevy pickup that I liked alot. I'd done a bunch of work on it and was right proud of it. I went back our logging road one day to pick up some firewood and ended up with a flat. Figured I'd come back later with the loader tractor and save some work and time. Other stuff happened and I didn't get back until the next day. By that time some kids who lived in a house that joined our woodlot had busted out the windows and beat up all my fresh body work. I was really pissed off and we had a little trouble on the school bus the next day (now I was riding instead of driving, not good for a young stud looking for dates). About a week later I was still hunting the logging road for squirrels and saw what appeared to a striped squirrel in their back yard near their trash cans. No one looked to be home so I figured it was fair game. Held center mass, squeezed and the striped squirrel did what striped squirrels do. Their dog came running out from the other side of the house and got involved for a short while. All this was probably 15-20 yards from the clothes line, which had clothes on it. I never heard anything about it, I think they figured their dog killed it.
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

Boolit Master
    Versifier, I worked in a lng plant in new york before I retired. The mercaptan came in a huge bottle not unlike a propane 20lb bottle. Great stuff, remember the apple blossom stuff some pranksters got around halloween. This stuff in concentrated form would gag a maggot. Frank

Boolit Mold
    This little story took place a few years ago, during the summer. Wife looks out on the front porch about 11:00 at night and thinks she sees one of our cats on the porch and goes out to play with it. you can guess what happened to her when her stripped cat decided it didn't want to play. From then on she turns the light on before going out to play with the kitties.
    She spent half the night trying to get the smell off, and I still remind her of the incident from time to time.