Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An off topic Aw Sh*t

Boolit Master

Talking An off topic Aw Sh*t

Came into the shop yesterday and there was a faint skunk odor. As I went back to turn on the air compressor I heard a scratching noise. Aw Sh*t. It's coming from my dust/chip fan. The way he came in is an 8' drop and on the intake side 10' back up to the ceiling. NO way out. Double AW SH*T.

The plan.......... The intake side is a 6" pipe. Cut a 6" hole in the top of a 5 gal plastic bucket and put an el into it. Quickly remove the intake side and put the bucket in it's place and the skunk will go into the bucket........... sooner or later.
    OK, that parts good but what if he makes a run for it while I'm "holding the bag"?

Part 2 of plan "A" (the sequel in a 2, maybe 3 or 4 part story..... yet to end) Go out to the truck (diesel) and get the emergency can of starting fluid (ether). Drill a 1/4" hole about a foot above where he might be. Put him to sleep THEN pull the pipe an if he's within reach put him in the bucket, if not, use the elbow and bucket.

It took damn near 2/3 can before the noise quit. Quickly pulled the pipe and looked, no critter. Even faster put the new pipe in it's place into the bucket. Did I mention the the bucket is 3/4 full of water? How long can a skunk tread water?
    Gus

Boolit Grand Master

Gussy
    Although I haven't skinned skunks in the wood shed for almost 12 years now the shed still smell like skunk, though not as bad on a cool day. Just thought you might like to know.

Boolit Master

Well folks, I may be in trouble. I think the AMA is going to pull my anesthesiology lic. It's looking like my patient OD'd and didn't make it. Maybe 2/3 can was too much. I sure hope his relatives don't get "wind" of it or I might end up in court. I'm still going to wait until tomorrow to remove him (just in case he has a possum relative).
    gus

Boolit Master
    Ether isn't instantaneous. Takes about 2-5minutes to set in. So probably the first blast was sufficent and the rest of the can was overkill.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

It took about 2 months to get the smell out of my garage after one found the cat food bag. I had to dispatch him with a .22 short after he found security behind some boxes. BAD IDEA. He had food and was out of the weather. He wasn't coming out. Luckily the box of skeet stopped the bullet before it got to the propane tank. Now I just bait them ouside on the OTHER side of the street with cat food. I can see them under the street light from my over the garage reloading/guy room and dispatch them by shooting out of the window. In keeping with a cast bullet theme, it keps the skunk smell off of my lead.

Beau
    At one with the gun.

Ye Olde Stri-ped Kitty In Yon Wood Shoppe

Once upon a time there lived in the beautiful mountains of Olde New England two brothers who were very proud of their shooting skills with their .22's. One summer the local skunks discovered the cat door into the wood shoppe on their farm. Now the younger, smarter brother said to their aging dad, "I'll take my 10/22 and pop the sucker right between the eyes!" and the dad said, "Go for it, but DON'T MISS!"

So the younger (did I say smarter?) brother waited patiently until the stri-ped kitty looked up from the bowl of cat food and popped the sucker right between the eyes. Dead as a mackerel. No spray, no smell, no problem. Rolled it onto a shovel with a piece of scrap wood and outside to be burried. And so it went the same routine with the next three that happened by. And the father, justly proud of the skill with the rifle that he had taught his youngest son, shared his joy with all who would listen, including the older brother, who, let it be known, was soon some sick of listening.

In fact, so sick was he of listening, that he took to keeping a careful eye out so that he, too, might perchance to also bask in the warm glow of praise from the father. And, lo, one evening soon after he had begun his vigil, his patience was rewarded. "AHA," he cried gleefully, "We've got another one. This one's MINE!" Forthwith did he grab his own .22, an ancient single shot bolt action with the front sight bent at a 45* angle. Spake the father with due concern: "You know, the last time I fired that, it shot about an inch to the right of where I aimed." "Relax," replied the older, but not necessarily wiser, brother, "I've been shooting this since I was seven, thirty years. I can't remember the last time I missed with it!" And so saying, he loaded it with a hp round and went forth into the shoppe.

After a few minutes, there came the sound of a shot. The father and the younger brother made it to the door just in time to see one stri-ped kitty, hit in the shoulder, pivot upon its hind legs, tail raised, fill the entire wood shop with the fruit of it's anal glands. "OH FUDGE! (well, not quite, but you get the point)", screamed the older and now panicky brother, "Give me another round quick!" And I (oops, I mean the younger, smarter brother) passed him the box through the barely open door, but my (I mean his) eyes were already watering, even outside. Luckily for the older brother, in the mean time said stri-ped kitty had shuffled of this mortal coil and expired, after having first climbed into the space beneath the table saw and emptied there the remaing charge from said glands heretofore mentioned.

Now, verily, it is almost eighteen summers that have come and gone in the beautiful mountains of Olde New England, and ever yet upon a damp and rainy day one might still chance to catch within the wood shoppe a whiff of a lingering redolence. And when perchance some new pesky critter should dare to show itself within the wood shoppe, the phone of the younger brother now will ring, merrily, and he will happily drive the twenty miles at the request of his now ancient and venerable father, his trusty 10/22 on the seat beside him.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

Versifier;
    Good tale!! I enjoyed this immensely.

Dale53

Boolit Master

Pulled the intake pipe today and couldn't reach him. Had to take the front cover off the fan to get to him. Small feller, very dead and no stink. Turned out better than expected.
    Gus

I had a run in with a couple of skunks back in '79 on Freeze Out Lake just west of Great Falls MT up on the bench. Any way, it was late fall and I was hunting ducks by jumping them off of the dikes. The grass was knee hing and I was following a path through it when a pair of skunks emerged about 20 paces ahead of me. They continued down the path in the same direction I was heading. The Major (my unit commander ...I was an E4 Sgt.) said something about how those nasty things eat pheaseant eggs and that I ought to do the right thing and shoot them both. Well, not one to shirk my duty, I unloaded first the right and then the left barrel of my Stevens 311 into the south end of that pair. Mistake, mistake, mistake. Wow, it was like a cloud of mustard gas, all yellow and oily and about 10 feet across and it drifted across the still air and settled down on the grass, the ground and me. The stink was enough to knock a buzzard off a honey wagon at 50 paces. needless to say, the Maj had to ride home with me. The windows were open and the air vent was on full tilt boogie the 40 miles or so until we were back in town. My wife made me undress on the front lawn and as expected, tossed my jeans, boots, jacket and my waders.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    we sure got some story tellers here. got some good 'uns too.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

Gussy,

To really screw with your Karma, you need to look up your local PETA organization and deposit that "Restfully Sleeping Denizen of the Woods" on their doorstep.

Other than that, great thinking on the Ether. Makes you wonder if there isn't a little german in your background.....Bad Karma!

Bruce

Aw yes summer and skunk stories. This could turn into one long well read funny thread.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

No skunk stories but a pretty funny story about a 200lb St. Bernard and a ittty-bitty porcupine and the resulting several hours of trying to holding down a dog bigger than myself while trying to extricate the hundred or so quills because the overgrown pup decided that an entire porcupine would fit nicely in his mouth like the basketball he liked to play with.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 05-24-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb
    I had a run in with a couple of skunks back in '79 on Freeze Out Lake just west of Great Falls MT up on the bench. Any way, it was late fall and I was hunting ducks by jumping them off of the dikes. The grass was knee hing and I was following a path through it when a pair of skunks emerged about 20 paces ahead of me. They continued down the path in the same direction I was heading. The Major (my unit commander ...I was an E4 Sgt.) said something about how those nasty things eat pheaseant eggs and that I ought to do the right thing and shoot them both. Well, not one to shirk my duty, I unloaded first the right and then the left barrel of my Stevens 311 into the south end of that pair. Mistake, mistake, mistake. Wow, it was like a cloud of mustard gas, all yellow and oily and about 10 feet across and it drifted across the still air and settled down on the grass, the ground and me. The stink was enough to knock a buzzard off a honey wagon at 50 paces. needless to say, the Maj had to ride home with me. The windows were open and the air vent was on full tilt boogie the 40 miles or so until we were back in town. My wife made me undress on the front lawn and as expected, tossed my jeans, boots, jacket and my waders.
    You should have got a little closer before you shot, it will still stink, but nothing like it does when it gets atomized.

I have had the displeasure of having to deal with over 100 skunks in one ten week stretch, ye old 12 ga at about 6 feet aimed directly below the tail, sure saves a lot of time and wear tear on the sinuses, and a nice breeze at your back is a bonus.

They should bottle that crap, i bet it would work better than pepper spray, I seen my buddies old hound dog lay down and ball after a good shot in the face, I have seen that same dog pull cougar fur and bear fur by himself !

Good luck

Moderator Emeritus

I found the best way to shoot one in a leg hold trap was to break the spine between the front shoulders with a 38. A broken spine and lung shot gives a quick death with out the ability to spray but like Versifier says, you better not miss. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    We had a summer place in pennsylvania along with 5 other family members. One night a bunch of skunks climber under one family members trailer and commenced biological warfare. Our trailer was across the road and about 100 feet away. The smell was not to be believed. The family members in the bombed trailer spent the night with other relatives. It was not a pretty sight as they tore up the ground underneath the trailer. Took about ten gallons of bleach before the smell was even halfway diminished. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake
    Gussy,

To really screw with your Karma, you need to look up your local PETA organization and deposit that "Restfully Sleeping Denizen of the Woods" on their doorstep.

Other than that, great thinking on the Ether. Makes you wonder if there isn't a little german in your background.....Bad Karma!

Bruce

If anybody's got one, the PETA National Headquarters is just downtown!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Cool

I feel the urge to add one more Skunk story to the melieux. Until three years ago, we had a swamp cooler on the roof instead of central air. This incident I'm about to relate was the trigger for the $7,000 upgrade. A swamp cooler, for the uninitiated, is a large box. The four walls of said box contain wood excelsior pads. A water pan in the bottom of the box holds several gallons of water which is circulated to the top of the box and allowed to flow down over the pads. A squirrel cage fan located in the center draws air through the pads and pumps it down into the house below. When the temp is high outside and the humidity low, this thing can actually knock 20 degrees or more off the inside temp. however, it has a serious flaw. It takes outside air and pumps it by the butt load into the house. Now, so long as that air is pollution free, all is copacetic. Add smoke from a forest fire, fireworks or whatever and the whole house can become unlivable pronto.

There is a slope running uphill away from my house about 20 feet from the back of my roof line. This is pretty wild country and that slope is a highway for coyotes, deer, snakes, teenagers and unfortunately, skunks. One day, with the cooler going like an 18 wheeler barreling down the Continental Divide in Mexican overdrive, my two dogs tangled with a pair of skunks up on that slope. As luck would have it, these two rascals unloaded their "eau de polecat" directly at my roof line. The cooler slurped it up and in less time than it takes to say "OMG" the entire house, right down to the carpet, was chock full of nature's version of Seran Gas. It took fresh paint, new carpet and more elbow grease than I care to recall to just make the house livable again. The wife of course, got her central air.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Back in the day I did a little Skunk trapping. You get them into a cage trap that is too small for them to lift their tails and they can't spray.

We would lung them with low power .22 solids (no-shock kill) then use a syringe to pull the scent before skinning. The guy I was working with sold the stuff to perfume makers.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

In Remembrance

I catch skunks in a live trap using cat food for bait. Throw an old blanket over the trap, pick it up and take it away. Never get sprayed. If you can get a skunk picked up by it's tail, it can't spray. It's hard to put down safely though. My great grand father told me about this when I was a kid. It takes a lot of manuvering to grab the tail, Haven't tried it since I got grown though. Chased one out of a pipe with propane and caught it in a burlap bag, it didn't spray. Tried the spine shot many times when trapping, only worked once. Skunk spray earned me many excused absences from school, just bad luck?