Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Man
    I know I did not reach the "Autoignite" range which by the way for mineral spirits is somewhere around 450. but my electric burner was still hot when some of the mixture hit it, Viola, big flames, no worries a quick cover of the pot with an aluminum pie plate broke the fire triangle (No more 02). and it was out.
    Just thought I might mention it, that it can ingnite even without an open flame.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    Allow me to add my input to this wonderful stuff we call 45/45/10

First, go to Wal Mart and look in the "kitchen gadgets" section for squeeze bottles like the ones diners put the ketchup/mustard in. They have them there for less than $1 and have a cap on them as well. The ones I got are smokey grey and translucent.

Measure 4 oz of water and pour it into the bottle. Mark the level with a Sharpie. Add 4 more oz of water and mark that level as well. Finish with one more oz and mark again. Empty the water and dry and you are ready to mix.

Heat/melt or whatever you do to your JPW. I found a small crock pot in Big Lots for $5 that works nicely. When the JPW is ready, and by ready, I mean cool enough to put into the bottle without melting the bottle, fill the bottle to the first mark (4 oz). Add slightly heated LLA (to thin is out) to the next mark, finish with MS to the top mark.

What you have is 4 oz JPW, 4 0z LLA and one oz MS in a nice dispenser/storage bottle. I do this and the mix keeps nicely on my bench until I'm ready to use it. Dries quickly and to a nice waxy finish. And it works ! ! ! !

Easy, not too messy and so handy LOL
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Grand Master
    Jerry, that's a good idea!
    If I may, I'd like to suggest one small change. The 4 ounce marks might should be set to 4.5 ounce each to get the right percentage.

Boolit Master

If you can't find JPW, the Trewax with carnauba works just as well.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    If you can't find JPW, the Trewax with carnauba works just as well.
    I bought some Trewax just to see what would have to be done in order to get the same consistency/viscosity and results as if using JPW.

Only thing I found was that you definitely needed to add the mineral spirits, and sometimes you need to add a bit more--there is more carnauba in the Trewax than there is the JPW.

Other than that, it works just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I bought some Trewax just to see what would have to be done in order to get the same consistency/viscosity and results as if using JPW.

Only thing I found was that you definitely needed to add the mineral spirits, and sometimes you need to add a bit more--there is more carnauba in the Trewax than there is the JPW.

Other than that, it works just fine.

That explains why I never had to 'cook the solvents off' in my mix. I did have to thin it with MS to get it to pour thin enough.

Finally got time to try making my first batch and all went well. No Flames! Made a small amount to see how it turned out, smelled up the yard pretty good. It has that peanut butter consistancy now that it cooled off.Gonna warm it up in the microwave tomorrow and lube a few and try it out!
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Uniformity

I use this lube on large quantities of boolits at a time, 1,000-1,500 or so, and being lazy I don't stand them up to dry the lube. The lube when it's thin enough to apply tends to puddle, and coat one side heavier than the other, so to get a uniform coating, I retumble them a third time without any additional lube. This process leaves a uniform coating that fills in the tumble lube grooves, and makes a boolit that shoots great with little to no leading.

Thanks to all the great folks here! I have learned more than I would have ever figured out on my own! 45-45-10 ROCKS!
    Turning money into noise, since 1970

Since we cant get JPW here in New Zealand (I have asked Johnson and Johnson) what quantities of carnauba and parafin would I use to get the equivalent to the JPW less the solvents?
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    It looks to be, 2:1 parafin to carnauba, according to the 2004 MSDS.

Also I did some further research out of curiosty, as it has been brought up on the issue of cooking off the solvents in the JPW, on a numerous occasions.
    What I found, if I am reading everything correctly, (some of it is beyond my techincal capacity),,,but.
    JPW uses Stoddard Solvent, which is similar to Mineral Spirits up to a point. It was bascially developed for the dry cleaning industry, as I understand it. The biggest difference I found (if understanding the data right) is that Stoddard has a slightly lower viscosity, but a much higher evaporation rate.
    Just sort of thinking out loud here, but that not being cooked off, would make sense to me at least, or may possibly work better???, in cooler temps or higher humidity. Hence the opposite for the Mineral Spirits. Although I can see the benefits off the higher viscosity of the MS, at least in some applications. While it has a slower evaporation rate, likely a good thing in areas warmer dryer climates, drying somewhat slower would give more working time also. Which may make for a more even coat or application.
    I still find it dries fast enough in my basement, (about 30 min avg.), which is normally about 65-70 degrees and humidity varies 60-80%. Also just my thoughts, that the MS leaves behind more parafinic residue, where as the Stoddard would possibly not, (logically speaking from a dry cleaning standpoint , but I have none in the straight form to compare). I have seen this dry but slightly waxy residue on my stitching machine table when using MS to clean inadvertent glue mishaps.
    That might be beneficial, in higher speed/pressure situations, then again, maybe not. I haven't played with out cooking off, to make any judgement on that.
    For the most part I have followed Recluse's instructions on the 45-45-10, in both mixing and application.. It works well in .45-70 loads, and loads in the .454 Casull.
    I am playing around with a modified version for use with higher velocity and pressures in the ..375 JDJ/444. But as of yet I haven't shot those as of yet, to have an idea of how it works.
    Last edited by onesonek; 06-15-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: addition
    Dave

Boolit Mold
    I made my first batch of this and it seems about the consistency of pudding without the mineral spirits. It did not seem to reduce. I had it on a warming plate for 2 hours and when I pulled 12 ounces to mix with 12 ounces of LLA it still had about 1/4 of the container of melts JPW in the container. My burner may not have been getting hot enough, but it was smoking the entire time. The pure un blended JPW set up and looks just as it did before I blended it. Ideas? I could post some pictures if that would help.
    Lee

Boolit Buddy

Talking

I think we should start calling this magic elixir 'Recluse Lube' !

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. I'm glad I read this post. Thank you for putting this up.

-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Cast Bullets View Post
    Allow me to add my input to this wonderful stuff we call 45/45/10

First, go to Wal Mart and look in the "kitchen gadgets" section for squeeze bottles

CCB: I found a graduated translucent one at the dollar store. When I saw it, I immediately thought of this post of yours.

Thanks for that

Boolit Bub
    Made my first small batch of 45/45/10 yesterday. I started out with about 2 oz JPW in an old pot on a Coleman camp stove. I turned my back for 1 minute and when I looked back over there was 3 foot flames shooting up. Glad I was in the driveway! Got the flames out with a cookie sheet, and started over - the JPW had turned really dark, wasn't sure how this would affect things, poured it out. Turned the heat WAY down, and slowly melted 2 oz again. Let it simmer for a few minutes, but not too long. Turned off the heat, and added in 2 oz LLA, then .4 oz OMS. Let it cool, filled up an old LLA bottle and put the rest in a baby food jar.

Lubed up about 500 pieces of TL452-200gr LSWC's and they were dry in a little over an hour. I like the consistency - nice and runny - makes a very light waxy film on the boolits, they are a little sticky, but nowhere near as bad as straight LLA!

Now I need to load up a few batches and see how they compare as far as leading and smokiness - hopefully none, in either case!

Boolit Master

I've set fire to it intentionally, gets rid of the solvents quicker and doesn't seem to affect the final product.

Do keep a lid handy to put it out, and do not do it in the house.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by meak99 View Post

Lubed up about 500 pieces of TL452-200gr LSWC's and they were dry in a little over an hour. I like the consistency - nice and runny - makes a very light waxy film on the boolits, they are a little sticky, but nowhere near as bad as straight LLA!
    Add a scooch bit more of JPW and that will eliminate the tackiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Add a scooch bit more of JPW and that will eliminate the tackiness.

How much more or less is a "scooch" vs. a "tad"?:takinWiz:
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amateur View Post
    How much more or less is a "scooch" vs. a "tad"?:takinWiz:
    My mama said that a "scooch" is just an itty-bit more than a tad.

I think a "Scooch" is the viscous equivalant to a "Galunk" of liquid measure