Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Have ya ever fried bacon and eggs in a brown paper bag, over a camp fire????
    we used to do that when I was in boy scouts. Just line the bottom of a brown paper bag with bacon, crack open a couple of eggs directly on top of the bacon, and set on a grate above the camp fire, so no flames touch the bag. The grease from the bacon will keep the paper bag from catching on fire.

You can also boil water over a fire in an un waxed paper cup.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

I'll have to try that this deer season.

Tuttle Okla. 12 miles south of South Canidian River

Something You need to Try.

First I never In my life saw this, until I spent the summer in Alaska with a friend. Thats where the picture in mt Id. Is from. mFry Bacon in what ever type pan that you want. Dip bacon in either milk or water. then dredge it in flour. Shake off excess. Put in skillet. It will blow your mind. It will just lay flat while it cooks. Try it! Lumpie
    Better to have a gun, and not need it. than to need one,and not have it!

Boolit Mold
    The best way to get just the way you want is to bake it. No splatter and you can make it as crisp as you want.

Boolit Master

Buy the 3 lb box of ends and pieces (used to flavor beans,ect) fry the whole thing in a large skillet on the Bar-b. When its about half cooked.(translucent,ie, almost clear) run it thru a meat grinder and put it in several zipper bags. Take a pinch for flavoring or in the skillet with the eggs. Scrambled,or fried it sure is easier to do and fast too. And the grease makes the best cornbread!
    Last edited by Cactus Farmer; 10-26-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Another thought....
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Buddy
    It's good off the grill also, keep the flare-ups down, the bacon comes off damned tasty!

Smile Works for Us

We've been doing it in the microwave for years. Faster than the oven and the result is the same, including the bacon grease.

We use a special microwave "griddle" with large grooves that allow the grease to run off into a catch basin. We also put a paper towel over the top to keep the splatter down, but it doesn't really get much grease on it.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    Sometimes fry bacon in the waffle iron, then make waffles. Mmmmm mmmm.

Boolit Master
    It is not so much how you fry it as it is the type/Brand of bacon you use. There is a million brands out there but about two years ago I had "Farm Land" brand thick smoked bacon and that was it totally. If you can find it near you give it a try, you'll be PM'ing me afterward, LOL, It is absolutely awesome.

BTW, everything is better in a cast iron pan, DUH. If you don't have one you aren't cooking right.

Boolit Buddy
    I find it's hard to beat a good brand of slab bacon for taste.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

SWMBO has taken to baking, or "oven frying" it on her heavy ceramic cookie sheet thingie, she got at one of those cooking "Hen Parties".

Works good, more evenly cooked and flatter.

Boolit Mold
    I am a lazy type camp cook and frying whole strips of bacon and having them curl around, trying to turn them, I thought there must be a eaiser way. (read lazy)! soo--------- I now take a pak of bacon and cut cross-ways, and now have a lot of little bacon "squares" no turning now--just stir till done! also use bacon ends and pieces the same way-always in cast iron skillet or dutch oven!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Most people fry their bacon too hot. Med-Low to Low heat and a little patience will do the trick. Sometimes I press the odd slice that wants to curl up too much with the pancake turner. I also fry my bacon in a good quality cast iron frying pan. Keep an eye on your bacon and turn frequently so you can see how it's coming along. It's a short, short time between almost done and overdone.

A microwave is excellent as well. I place my bacon on two layers of paper towel, with two more layers over it. In my microwave, one minute per slice is about right. If underdone, I give it thirty seconds more at a time until done to my liking. Again, it bears watching as it's only a few seconds between perfectly done and overdone.

Remember, too that everyone likes his bacon a little different than everyone else.

Gerry N.

Banned

chicken fried bacon, got to try that one!!!!!

My cousin says its healthier to bake instead of fry things, so im bakin my bacon to be health conscious. NOT!!! LOL!!!

Banned

Have you guys ever had "Petit Jean" bacon?

Low, Slow, and chewy is how I like it. The second and third batches are always better because the grease level is up. I just fry a pound or 1.5 pounds and put the leftover in the freezer. It is good out of the microwave after 30 seconds.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess it's all in how you like your bacon. I can't stand crispy bacon. I want it browned and just starting to crisp up but thick and chewy for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, ya can't make good bacon with a bacon press because it all cooks up the same way. I like the variety of crispy edges with chewy parts here and there.

Now, regardless of how you like yours, here's a little trick for better tasting bacon. When you put it in the pan, grind some black pepper over it pretty generously. Let it cook till the first side is done and flip it over. Now, sprinkle just a little bit of sugar across each strip. Cook till the second side is done and remove from the pan. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm MMMMMMMM!

And I can second the Farmland bacon as being pretty darned good for store bought bacon. The Wright brand peppered bacon is real good and you don't have to add pepper. My favorite is good slab bacon and ya slice it yourself with a knife about 1/4" thick and leave the skin on. Cook slow and let it get a little crispy. If it's thick enough, the inside will still be chewy. Talk about good sammich fixins!