MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me 41 mag Blackhawk

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Get the 41 Mag MG. Its much better than the 44 Mag MG having shot both. The 6 1/2" Blackhawk is a keeper also.
    41's are typically heavier, and therefore shoot hot loads better because of better recoil control. But, if weight of carrying is contemplated and the gun not shot often, then go for the 44. ... felix
    As usual, I failed to express my point plainly. I was not concerned about the weight of the guns themselves, but rather the comparitive performance between the two calibers (.41 Mag & .44 Mag) in short barrels.
    I know that in a longer barrel, with boolits of similar weights the .44 Mag will throw the boolit faster than the .41 Mag will.

However, when using short bbls (2 1/2" to 4 5/8") I am under the impression that the .41 Mag will actually out perform (or at least equal the performance of) the .44 Mag when using boolits of equal weight (220 grns to 265 grains, not the big 300+ grains...I have no data on that weight range).

Would you please give me your thoughts on this?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot View Post
    As usual, I failed to express my point plainly. I was not concerned about the weight of the guns themselves, but rather the comparitive performance between the two calibers (.41 Mag & .44 Mag) in short barrels.
    I know that in a longer barrel, with boolits of similar weights the .44 Mag will throw the boolit faster than the .41 Mag will.

However, when using short bbls (2 1/2" to 4 5/8") I am under the impression that the .41 Mag will actually out perform (or at least equal the performance of) the .44 Mag when using boolits of equal weight (220 grns to 265 grains, not the big 300+ grains...I have no data on that weight range).

Would you please give me your thoughts on this?
    I've found the 41 Mag to be better (recoil wise, performance equal to or better than the 44 with equal weight boolits) in the short barrels. A well balanced package. I had the opportunity to shoot the 44 Mag MG recently and did NOT like it in comparison to the 41 Mag MG. I've hunted with the 41 Mag MG for the last 9 years and like it very well. If I had the chance to buy another one, I would.

Boolit Master
    For what it is worth-- I used to shoot a M57 and and a M29 both with a 4" bl-- regardless of the bullet weight -- the M57 was much more pleasant- -- also a 7.5 41 and 44 and again the .41 was better- to shoot- am not talking about speed trajectory etc just shootablility all i own are .41's and that is not likely to change
    like your quote Cayoot