Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leading in Barrrel

Leading in Barrrel

I have had a lot of what I consider a lot leading in my 45 ACP barrels after a trip to the range. I usally fire off about 100 - 300 rounds in a session. When I look down the barrel I can see slivers of lead and gobs of lead buildup.

I use straight ww.
    Water cool.
    Tried Alox, Johnsons Paste wax and various other lubes.
    Tried different powders, currently using Hodgrens Bullseye.
    4.4 gr with a 230 gr LRN
    Slugged both guns:
    Kimber UC .452
    Wilson .4508
    Unsized boolits out of the mold .452

I just cleaned both pistols for any copper fouling but did not get any telltale blue stain.

Both guns lead up about the same, it seems the Wilson should be about right as far as size goes.

I am thinking that maybe the lead is too soft.
    Is there a way to get larger bollits out of my mold.

What am I missing?

Banned

some 45's like them hard as they have shallow lands.
    you can go to a harder alloy i have heard of going all they way to lino and the harder the more accurate.

Boolit Master

Nothing glaring that I see. I would use air cooled WW not water cooled. Try that first. If no-go and you feel you need a larger boolit, try "beagling". The process is explained well here http://www.castpics.net/. Go to "Articles by Members" on left menu, It's the 18th article on left side titled "Bullet Diameter Enlargement"...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master
    I run range lead at 3.8 gr. of Bullseye with a 200 gr SWC. Sized at .452 and they run at 760 fps or so. There is NO leading, and they are as accurate as I can shoot them.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I think you are doing everything right, except you should try sizing your bullets and be sure to lube them before and after you size them.

By the way, water cooling does significantly increase the hardness of my bullets; I've tested it with The Lee Hardness Kit. Also, I find it easier/quicker to water drop.

Additionally, I cleaned the lead out of my barrel with a few copper strands from a "Chore Boy," wrapped around a brass barrel brush and ran it dry through the barrel several times, with good results.

Of course, I got different results from that, with different guns

Boolit Master

Leading

Flatlander,
    I asked that question about my 9mm and got this answer. If it were straight wheelweight air cooled and your load is slower, it won't happen. If you make the bullets even harder, then you possibly can push them almost as fast as jacketed. It seems the problem is taking a moderately hard bullet and driving it fast enough that the rifling starts slicing off chunks of it.
    You can see where a softer, slower load would work, a harder bullet would work except, just not the combination you've got.

Actually, the man said it was like running a head of cabbage down a sauerkraut shredder! Found that amusing, more so than leading.
    Something to think on. Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

RFR or Ray might be right. But flip a coin. Since you started with water cooled and it was leading, you might want to try softer (air cooled) first. They might bump up. WD WW should be around 18-20+ BHN. Air cooled will be around 12. I have always used air cooled for the 45. You could always remove the WD with a stint in the oven then air cooling. If this doesn't fix it, try harder: oven heat treating or by alloying lino. Since your Wilson has smaller grooves than as dropped, beagling probably isn't going to help, at least in that gun. Who knows, there might be two different issues going on (different for each gun). Best I can do, FWIW.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Thanks for the information guys!
    Lots of things to try now.

Boolit Master

Don't over look the reloading process. Are you sizing your lead down somehow in the process? Using a factory crimp die? Are you belling the case enough before seating the bullet? Too much crimp?

Boolit Grand Master

You are shooting a boolit the same size as your barrel. You are counting on it bumping up. WDWW probably won't unless given way more push than you want to. Softer or larger are your choices, and I'd suggest larger.

Look for the sticky on beagling a mold.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remebrance

First things first- are the barrels smooth? Any constrictions in them at all? Any rough or tight spots? Do as Randy suggests and check your loaded rounds- if the seater is sizing your .452 boolits to .449 then you'll have problems and it can happen. Same for the crimper. Are these bevel based or square based boolits? Do these barrels have the older style shallow grooves?

I also think the Wilson at least would shoot without leading given a decent lube and load. I think Randy may be onto the problem with one of the dies "squishing" the boolit smaller. The Kimber sounds like it'll need a fatter boolit, but sometimes they'll do fine with a "skinny" boolit if things mesh together right. Your alloy should be fine as is for 45 ACP speed and pressure so I'd take a hard look at fit.

If accuracy remains the same, from round 1 to 300, you dont have leading.
    Is there a way to get larger bollits out of my mold.
    Add linotype or antimony.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them
    Quote:
    The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list
    are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum
    bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic,
    91.75% lead).
    Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably
    depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation
    can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on
    the weight among the most commonly used casting
    alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might
    show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference
    in weight.
    Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5%
    tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having
    the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with
    such bullets running approximately .3% smaller in
    diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with
    Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the
    largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will
    produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3%
    lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony,
    with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets
    with diameters and weights falling between those cast
    from wheel weights and linotype.
    Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably
    smaller than wheel weights and in some cases
    will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.
    Within the limitations given above, the weight and
    diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
    alloy’s antimony content.
    The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also
    vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures
    will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet
    cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter
    bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Could be that the bullets need to be softer so they obdurate better, or harder... just gotta play with it.

It is true that harder is not always the answer to the leading question, as Saint Elmer Keith has said back in the day.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    If accuracy remains the same, from round 1 to 300, you dont have leading. Add linotype or antimony.
    If he has an undesirable build up of alloy in the barrel then yes, he has leading. There's no reason for material to build in the barrel if the boolits/alloy/load/lube combo works. I understand the idea behind what you're saying but feel it doesn't address his issue entirely.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Could be that the bullets need to be softer so they obdurate better, or harder... just gotta play with it.
    Obturation, not obduration, is a makeshift answer to the problem. The boolit needs to fit, the alloy needs to be suitable for the pressure and the gun has to "like" the boolit/alloy/pressure/lube combo.

Boolit Grand Master

Flatlander

"Tried different powders, currently using Hodgrens Bullseye."

Are you sure that is the powder?

I'm not concerned about the mispelling but "Hodgrens" and "Bullseye" do not go together. If it is Alliant Bullseye Powder then I'd suggest adding 2% tin to your WWs and air cool them and use a good 50/50 beeswax/alox lube like Javelina or Lars.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    You are missing one important item from your data list. That is what diameter did you size your bullets to? Your bore diameter (as you have listed) is .4508" so a sized diameter of .452" will be perfect for your gun. If you are loading the bullets unsized, do you know if your bullets are perfectly concentric?

The other item that you need to pay attention to (which I assume you have) is the quality of the seating operation. Your bullets should be as pristine when they are seated as they are when they are prior to being seated. One of the other posters mentioned that - that there shall not be any lead shavings produced during the seating operation.

Good luck!
    Matt Dardas

Banned

the one thing i do see here is the fast powder.
    i know forever the load for 45 was 5 grs b-eye it was even the load for jacketed during the war.
    but i have had good luck with 6 grs unique. and air cooled ww's with pure mixed in.
    if you want bigger there are ways to get it
    funny it's the only place i actually like unique.in the 45 acp. i'd try a powder change first.

The Powder currently in use is Hodghon Titegroup, so much for my recall ability.
    Both guns are fairly new so I don't think they would have old style shallow groves.
    If you look at my avatar you will see my mold, flat based as you can see.
    I have beat the crimping issue to death in another thread and my dimensions are OK and no lead shavings!

The bollits are not concentric, they range from .451 - .453 out of round.
    I have sized with a .452 die but it just makes them a bit rounder.

243WINXB may have something!

“Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5%
    tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having
    the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with
    such bullets running approximately .3% smaller in
    diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with
    Taracorp's metal.”

This might get me to a size large enough to size to .452 and make them round.