Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee prog 1000

Boolit Master

Lee prog 1000

Anyone out there in the casting fraternaty use a Lee Prog.1000? A friend gave me one last year and I am just getting around to setting it up,at least I am trying. I am just about to take a three pound hammer to it. I went to Lee's web site but it left me with more questions than answers. By the way I did not get the instructions with it. The biggest problem but by no means the only one is primer feed. It seems to jam no matter what I do. On thier web site they advise you to change shell plate carriers when you change to a larger cal. such as .38 spl to .45 acp. I couldn't tell what the carrier was. If it is what I think it is, forget it.I have been struggling with this beast for two days and I am not all that patient. I did not get anything that looked like it might be an exta carrier and couldn't find one on the price list. I have at least ten other presses, two of them Lyman turrets. In two days I could have turned out several boxes of .38 spl. Anyway,I would appreciate your commets.That is before the hammer falls.

Boolit Grand Master
    The large primer versions work OK, but I gave up on the small primer version. Primers kept on jamming. Does it on the LP versions also, just not as bad. Bought 4 at one time, only have the 45colt still set up, but seldom use it. Couldn't give me one now.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one dedicated to the .32 S&W Long/.32 H&G Magnum. It worked pretty good but you needed to have mechanical ability to keep it going (not particularly user friendly). I have since retired it.

I now have two 550B's and a Lee Classic Turret (the Lee for small runs) and am a HAPPY camper!

Dale53

Banned

heres a test for lee pro 1000s. Take it off of your bench and toss it in a lake. If it floats retrive it as its a good one if it sinks leave and get on with your life!

Boolit Buddy
    i used to run three of them. for the oney they wotk ok. once you figure them out and get to know them yu can live with them and get a pretty good amount of ammo out.
    almost like a woman.

Watch some Youtube videos. Understand the mechanics, don't force it.

They are great machines, IF you understand how they work. Don't pull the lever and expect magic to take care of the rest.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    If you get tired of it, keep me in mind. I am fixing to buy one, even if against advise of this thread. Trying to keep up with my shooting habits by loading from a Rockchukker just makes my arm sore, lol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    heres a test for lee pro 1000s. Take it off of your bench and toss it in a lake. If it floats retrive it as its a good one if it sinks leave and get on with your life!

Does that go for Dick's moulds, too?

Gear

Boolit Master

Further clarification

I appreciate all the comments and advise from all the good folks on this web site,especially Dave in Flowery Branch, Ga. I already had the hammer drawn back when I received your E-MAIL. Without offense to anyone, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am rather adept at all things mechanical. For many years I adjusted Strowger electro mechanical switches for the phone company. They are long out of use but they were a marvel to watch. Alfred Hitchcock filmed one in the movie Dial M for Murder, if you get a chance to view it.They had more moving parts than you can imagine. I should also say that I have a well equipped machine shop in my garage,lathe, mill,drill press,surface grinder, all the usual suspects and just about every hand tool known to man. I have overhauled car engines as well. All this to say I know a little about moving parts. I could say that maybe it is just me but judging by the responses entered here there are many that share my experience and opinon of the Pro 1000. I will view the videos Brother Dave suggested and give it one more shot. Thanks to all and God bless you on this beautiful Sunday here in Cherry Valley.

Banned

guess i have to ask. if you spent as much as it must have taken to buy all those tools and machines why not buck up for a press that doesnt need to be fooled with. I doubt if youd by some cheap crap lathe and figure on fooling with it to get it to cut right. You more then most must understand that you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

Even further clarification

First my mechanical apptitude was brought into question and now I am being told I am penny wise and pound foolish. To began with I did not purchase the Lee Pro 1000. It was given to me by a friend after his brother passed away. He gave me all the reloading gear along two car loads of ammo. I have other presses as well. Including 3, rockchuckers,4 rcbs jr, two Lyman turrets and an old Pacific c .I also have ten powder measures just so I don't have to change one when I get it adjusted. I can set up three presses with one die in each and load ammo at a reasonable rate. I just thought I would try this beast since I had it here. I watched the set up video that David informed me of. It was very interesting but it was not the Pro 1000.It was the load master,which looks like a very nice machine. I think the pro 1000 was enginered by a certain rodent down in Orange Co. named Mickey. As for my machinery. I had a friend who delt in used machinery which enabled me to purchase much of it at very reasonable prices. When someone is in the trade, and it doesn't matter what the trade is,cars,airplanes,boats,guns,motorcycles,guns or machinery,that item doesn't have near the value of the retail market. If you don't believe me just try to sell some of your prized guns or reloading gear to a gun shop. I should point out also that I will turn 75 in a few days and we have lost our local shooting range. It would be foolish to buy a top of the line Dillon press at this time. Also I am retired so saving time isn't as important as it once was. I should tell you also that I didn't give much for my reloading gear either, should the question arise. I have Redding powder measures that I bought for two bucks One more point before I put this to rest. We are thinking of selling this place,[2/12 acres] and getting smaller digs.

Boolit Buddy
    Right on Gopherman. If folks had more of the mindset to fix rather than to replace.... well, a lot of people wouldn't be floating on CC debt over their head. Happy early Birthday, when you get it running right please post up what the issue is/was. I've been debating b/w the prog 1000 and Load Master. Simply cant afford any of the other brands out there..

Boolit Master

Lloyd

you have a tinkerers dream the priming sys. on the 1 i tried was never rite & always broke my rythum so to speak.
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

GopherSlayer;
    I was NOT questioning YOUR mechanical ability. I just mentioned, for the benefit of the MANY who follow this forum, that the Lee Pro 1000 is NOT for anyone who is not mechanical and is NOT "user friendly". I also mentioned that I no longer use mine.

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned

and i wasnt questioning your money handling either. You about admitted yourself if was a *** and i was just agreeing with you. Personaly i wouldnt take one even for free if it was offered. Reloading casting and shooting are kind of theropy for me. Nothing takes the stress of a day away like sitting in the loading room. I dont need equiptment that adds to the stress. Personaly id rather go back to loading single stage then fight a lee progressive again. Heck maybe if your as good as you say you are with mechanical things you will come up with some good fixes for the weakness they have and it will benifit everyone. Personaly i cant figure lee out. The loadmaster could be made into a great press if theyd just sit down and reengineer a few of its weeknesses. Put a good priming system on it and get rid of a few plastic parts that tend to break. Even if they did that and charged a 100 bucks more they could more then compete with dillon and hornady. the pro 1000 is a different animal. that one they can just toss in the lake! i dont think anyone on this forum would ever critisize you. People on this forum are great and are only here to help. But if you ask a question expect honest answers. Maybe some of them will be answers you dont want to hear but for the most part there are some very experienced people on here and some like me have fought crap like those lees and just want to steer you away from the headaches you will no doubt experience with them.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 09-14-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Boolit Master

I appreciate it

I appreciate that Loyd and I also appreciate your candor. .I also think the Pro 1000 is an absolute waste and any time spent on trying to fix it is better spent watching grass grow. No, not that kind of grass. The float test sounds like the proper fix to me. I did think the Load Master showed promise after watching the viedo,however I also dislike plastic parts on anything. In my original post I should have pointed out that I have been reloading since 1959, so much of the enthusiasm has worn off. I still remember the thrill I got when I loaded my first cartridge. But, as Dean Grennal once wrote, [seating a 158 grain semi wadcutter over 2.5 grains of Bullseye quit showing me anything a long time ago]. As I have pointed out to my friends, way too many times, if I were rich I would donate all my reloading gear to charity and pay Jon K. to load for me. He is one meticulous dude. He is also a great shot. He beat me out for first place in the last Buffalo match we had. There is one aspect of the shooting sport I still love as much as ever. Pulling the trigger. It never grows old. I think that if you could get the most fanatic anti gun nut case to fire a few rounds at a can floating down the river , he would be hooked. Maybe I am just dreaming but I have never known anyone that didn't enjoy shooting once you put ear protectctors on them and they found out it really doesn't hurt. Well it is getting late and I am tired. I spent the day loading 30.30 and 45.70s for a trip we plan to take for a day of shooting with 9 point something or other Al. As I have said before, we lost our range. If I repeat that enough you should see tears running down your screen. Good night all. And God bless you, everone.

Boolit Master

Well here is something about a Lee you will find that works better than any thing . Do not use dirty brass. Clean all before you start. The primer system is a problen if yopu try to run them fast. I found that I like clean brass better so I deprime and clean in the case cleaner and let dry. you can reprime by hand and forget the prime system on the lee.
    Lee should have the instruction manual would be worth you time to get it. I have a LM and have had it for 20+years. reworked a couple of things and have not broke any parts for a long time

Banned

i kind of know the feeling. I built a range on city property a few years back. I put alot of time into it and after a while the local police depts started shooting there too. That lasted about 6 months and they decided to close it to any civilian. I was pretty angry considering i built the darned thing. I got luck though a buddy had property about a 1/4 mile from my house that had a big gravel pit in it and he let me set up a range there. It even bigger and better and for the most part i have it to myself. One thing good about living in northern mich. Theres lots of snow and cold but just about everyone here is pro gun and nobody cares if you shoot in your back yard. I dont do it much because i have alot of money wrapped up in gear and dont want to advertise that fact but my neighbors shoot a couple times a week in there yards. I doubt id be into this as much as i am if i had to travel to shoot or had to shoot at a public range with a bunch of rules. I wish you all the luck in the world with finding a new place to shoot. Its something alot of us take for granted.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I appreciate that Loyd and I also appreciate your candor. .I also think the Pro 1000 is an absolute waste and any time spent on trying to fix it is better spent watching grass grow. No, not that kind of grass. The float test sounds like the proper fix to me. I did think the Load Master showed promise after watching the viedo,however I also dislike plastic parts on anything. In my original post I should have pointed out that I have been reloading since 1959, so much of the enthusiasm has worn off. I still remember the thrill I got when I loaded my first cartridge. But, as Dean Grennal once wrote, [seating a 158 grain semi wadcutter over 2.5 grains of Bullseye quit showing me anything a long time ago]. As I have pointed out to my friends, way too many times, if I were rich I would donate all my reloading gear to charity and pay Jon K. to load for me. He is one meticulous dude. He is also a great shot. He beat me out for first place in the last Buffalo match we had. There is one aspect of the shooting sport I still love as much as ever. Pulling the trigger. It never grows old. I think that if you could get the most fanatic anti gun nut case to fire a few rounds at a can floating down the river , he would be hooked. Maybe I am just dreaming but I have never known anyone that didn't enjoy shooting once you put ear protectctors on them and they found out it really doesn't hurt. Well it is getting late and I am tired. I spent the day loading 30.30 and 45.70s for a trip we plan to take for a day of shooting with 9 point something or other Al. As I have said before, we lost our range. If I repeat that enough you should see tears running down your screen. Good night all. And God bless you, everone.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    It is a finicky press, to be sure. I won't even try any bottlenecked cartridges in it. However, once you get used to it, it works acceptably. I get maybe 3 primer feed issues per 100, but it is usually just that they haven't risen up onto the priming ram and a quick tweak with a dental pick solves it. Takes all of a second.

Sometimes if you are moving along quickly it will throw the case out of alignment in the shellplate- too far out (centripetal force).

Now with those reservations, it works ok. I like it a lot more than a single stage for handgun ammo. Changing shell plates IS a pain, but I mainly use it for 3 calibers- 9mm, .38 special, and 45 acp. I have about a thousand cases for each of those and so when I change the plates, I run my whole lot of brass at once. As I only shoot about 2000 rounds of pistol a year of all calibers (including those I don't run progressively) this works well for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    dsmjon, if you pay the shipping , I will give you one!!