Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for Desert Eagle 44 Magnum

Boolit Mold

Reloading for Desert Eagle 44 Magnum

Anyone reloading for this gun?

Yes. Must use jacketed bullets though. I have some worked up load data for my friends DE in .44 using various bullets. Whatcha wanna know?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    I have had mine for 15 yrs and have only used 23 gr of H110 with the 240 gr. xtphp and really have not done much develping of loads. I do not shoot it often but have taken 2 out of 2 deer that I shot at.... Rather be lucky than good as they say.

Wonderwolf, I'd like to know your loads and anything else you could share on your experence with the DE.

Seems to me that we are sorta limited on a broad range of loads that will cycle in these guns but my knowledge is limited with them too.

please share
    thanks
    Dave

Banned

I would say 20 gr of 296 is the best with a 300 gr XTP. These were shot at 50 yards.

Banned

OOPs lost picture.
    Last edited by 44man; 10-31-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    44 man
    I would say "that works good "
    I assume you used some sort of rest ?? I tried to use a caldwell jr the other day and had difficulty....only shot once...talk about limp wrist !
    I do not have any 300's, you tried any 240's or 200 xtp ? care to share any experience with?

Thanks

Wonderwolf,
    ??

Dave

Sorry, had to dig up the notes on the loads we tried.

12.4gr of Unique under a 240gr Hollow point bullet, NOT A S&W REVOLVER LOAD
    we've tried 4227, and 2400 in his gun...he has settled on

19gr of 2400 with a 240gr rainier with a 1.55 OAL, using win primers as his all around load for now. The gun shoots well but is hard on brass if you try to load them down. I'm looking for a .44mag DE of my own now.
    My firearms project blog

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmdracer View Post
    44 man
    I would say "that works good "
    I assume you used some sort of rest ?? I tried to use a caldwell jr the other day and had difficulty....only shot once...talk about limp wrist !
    I do not have any 300's, you tried any 240's or 200 xtp ? care to share any experience with?

Thanks

Wonderwolf,
    ??

Dave
    I can't shoot open sights from a rest anymore so I shoot Creedmore. That gets the sights farther from my eyes.
    The gun is not mine and my friend just wanted a load worked up with the bullets he had. A real fun gun to shoot I might say.
    With the fast 1 in 18 twist, heavy bullets are best.
    I wish I could afford one, it would be a thumper on deer!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for responding to my questions.
    this will give me some ideas to check into.... so much to do

Not sure what a creedmore is, but I can relate to the "short arm syndrome" err old eye's..in my case

I may have to find some 300 gr's and see what happens !
    Wonder I have the powders you mentioned.... hmmm !

thanks
    Dave

akaboson, sorry, did not mean to hijack

Quote Originally Posted by dmdracer View Post
    Thanks guys for responding to my questions.
    this will give me some ideas to check into.... so much to do

Not sure what a creedmore is, but I can relate to the "short arm syndrome" err old eye's..in my case

I may have to find some 300 gr's and see what happens !
    Wonder I have the powders you mentioned.... hmmm !

thanks
    Dave

akaboson, sorry, did not mean to hijack
    I dunno what pistol creedmore is but I shoot longer range pistol sitting on my butt leaning far back with my knees kinda squeezing my hands together. Still learning but getting better at shooting at 200 yards with this position using a wheel gun, Wearing shorts I have gotten powder embedded in my knee from this. I've got the better part of a box of 305gr FMJ in .44 I should try in his gun, or I'll swage up some on the press.
    My firearms project blog

Banned

Creedmore is when you lay on your back, put your non shooting hand on the ground behind your head and rest your head on your forearm. Knees up and together with the gun on a blast shield against the side of your leg. Need to make sure the muzzle is out in front of your leg!
    Look at IHMSA shooting sites to see.
    Oh, your elbow will be on the ground, hand against your hip and barrel along your leg.

Boolit Mold
    Glad to get some ideas going; I've had good luck with IMR 4756 and 250 gr. Keith type lead w/gas checks. This functioned best of all loads to date.
    Have been working with Unique powder, but have to get a load powerful enough yet; going to 11 grains under 250 gr. lead cast SWC w/gas check next load.
    My gun doesn't like cartridges longer than about 39.5 mm (1.56"). Won't fit the magazine; I have two different magazine mfg's.
    I know about the taboo of lead in Desert Eagles, but I marinate my barrel in Hoppe's after every shoot; Check the gas port with compressed air. Not had any fouling that I could point out. I would not put any bullet through without a gas check, at least.
    The cleaning tool is supposed to be used to ream out the gas port in the barrel; When I need to ream out this port with that tool, I'd say my barrel is finished.
    Great gun; Handles 44 magnum loads very accurately.
    I also cast & load for 357. Talk about that later.

Quote Originally Posted by akaboson View Post
    Glad to get some ideas going; I've had good luck with IMR 4756 and 250 gr. Keith type lead w/gas checks. This functioned best of all loads to date.
    Have been working with Unique powder, but have to get a load powerful enough yet; going to 11 grains under 250 gr. lead cast SWC w/gas check next load.
    My gun doesn't like cartridges longer than about 39.5 mm (1.56"). Won't fit the magazine; I have two different magazine mfg's.
    I know about the taboo of lead in Desert Eagles, but I marinate my barrel in Hoppe's after every shoot; Check the gas port with compressed air. Not had any fouling that I could point out. I would not put any bullet through without a gas check, at least.
    The cleaning tool is supposed to be used to ream out the gas port in the barrel; When I need to ream out this port with that tool, I'd say my barrel is finished.
    Great gun; Handles 44 magnum loads very accurately.
    I also cast & load for 357. Talk about that later.

How many rounds do you usually run through it in one session? Kroil might work better than hoppe's for what your doing. I'm very interested in your experience with lead in these since they have a polygonal rifling as well as a gas system.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold
    wonderwolf:
    How many rounds do you usually run through it in one session? Kroil might work better than hoppe's for what your doing. I'm very interested in your experience with lead in these since they have a polygonal rifling as well as a gas system.

I have been putting 50 to 100 rounds through each session. Approx. 1000 rounds to date. I have used 0.430 and 0.429 sized & lubed with gas check and had less fouling as time goes on. I also lube liberally with Gunslick after cleaning. Gunslick has burned in on previous revolvers and prevented fouling. This barrel looks like it has been porous chrome plated, so don't know how effective Gunslick will be, if at all. Any benefit will suffice, even if I can't quantify it.
    I started out using 0.430 lead with great accuracy; Decided to try 0.429 to see if there was much difference; Not much I could detect.
    Thanks for the info; I'll give Kroil a try.

Boolit Master

AA#9 and the Desert Eagle were almost designed around each other. It is the powder that is truly ideal for the DE.

Check out an Accurate Arms reloading guide OR manual, and you'll find DE-specific loads. The manual goes into more depth than the guide (booklet) obviously.

None of this means other powders won't work, of course, but it's a golden combination for this application. (And, I happen to use AA#9 for all of my other magnum handgun loading uses, so it's on the shelf in quantity...)
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Guys
    I've gotten an new .44 magnum Desert Eagle and have started developing a load for it. Am loading Sierra's 240 grain jacketed hollow point with 13-15 grains of Blue Dot in Starline cases with standard Winchester primers. I have yet to reach the power level where the slide fully goes backwards and reliably feeds a new cartridge every single time. I suppose the standard answer is the power level is not high enough, but 15 grains is a max load for Sierra's bullet in the Lyman manual. I did try to single-shot fire some cartridges made with Lyman's 245 grain 429241 SWC (cast in Lyman #2 alloy) and those would lock the slide back, though they wouldn't fit down the magazine. Lyman's cast bullet was loaded with 16.0 grains of Blue Dot, though I consider it very hot because I occasionally see sticky extraction with it. I might test it with H110 next, but Blue Dot is my go-to powder for just about everything handgun, and I buy it in 8lb tubs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kawalekm View Post
    Hey Guys
    I've gotten an new .44 magnum Desert Eagle and have started developing a load for it. Am loading Sierra's 240 grain jacketed hollow point with 13-15 grains of Blue Dot in Starline cases with standard Winchester primers. I have yet to reach the power level where the slide fully goes backwards and reliably feeds a new cartridge every single time. I suppose the standard answer is the power level is not high enough, but 15 grains is a max load for Sierra's bullet in the Lyman manual. I did try to single-shot fire some cartridges made with Lyman's 245 grain 429241 SWC (cast in Lyman #2 alloy) and those would lock the slide back, though they wouldn't fit down the magazine. Lyman's cast bullet was loaded with 16.0 grains of Blue Dot, though I consider it very hot because I occasionally see sticky extraction with it. I might test it with H110 next, but Blue Dot is my go-to powder for just about everything handgun, and I buy it in 8lb tubs.

I really like Blue Dot, and I tried quite hard to get Hercules Blue Dot to work in my 357 Magnum Desert Eagle.

At the time I was using the older (1987) Speer #11 manual, and the maximum load of Hercules Blue Dot was 13 grains with a 158 grain Speer JSP.

I slowly worked my way up to 13.0 grains of Blue Dot, but try as I might, I simply could not get my 357 Desert Eagle to cycle 100% with the Blue Dot load. It already felt quite warm, and I simply was not comfortable going any higher.

My Desert Eagle cycled the slide just fine using a few different brands of premium factory ammunition though for comparison.

Warning: Modern loading data shows 13.0 grains of Blue Dot to be over max
    Alliant's Page shows a max of 10.2 grains of Alliant Blue Dot with a 158gr JHP
    Lyman 49th shows a max of 10.7 grains of Alliant Blue Dot with a 158gr JHP

The Blue Dot load that didn't cycle my Eagle was extremely blasty out of a 6 inch Ruger Security Six. Since it didn't work as intended, I retired the Blue dot load, and did not bother to chronograph it in the 357 Desert Eagle.

I changed powders from Blue Dot, to Unique in the 357 Magnum. After working my way up to around 8.0 grains of Unique using a 158 grain Speer JSP I found success! The Unique load was gentler to shoot, and reliably cycled my Desert Eagle.

Now fast forward to May 2014. While doing a powder comparison with Hercules Blue Dot and Alliant Steel, I reproduced the old 13 grain Hercules Blue Dot 357 Magnum load using my original lot of powder. I also ran both the Blue Dot and Steel loads over the chronograph for comparison.

Test Gun is a Dan Wesson 357M w/4 inch barrel assembly
    ---------------------------
    13.0 grains of Hercules Blue Dot 357 Mag 158 JFP 1.590 OAL
    1269 FPS - Low
    1273 FPS - High
    13.0 grains of Alliant's Steel 357 Magnum 158 JFP 1.590 OAL
    1155 FPS - Low
    1218 FPS - High
    14.0 grains of Alliant's Steel 357 Magnum 158 JFP 1.590 OAL
    1221 FPS - Low
    1266 FPS - High

The ironic part is I don't have chronograph data for the Unique load now.

If you can't work up a Blue Dot load that will cycle the 44 Magnum Desert Eagle, don't be afraid to try another powder. The Desert Eagle might be fussy about gas port pressure or volume, or perhaps I just used a bad combination with my caliber.

If it was me I would start right off with W296/H110 for the 44 Magnum Desert Eagle as it's a powder selection many have had good results using in the DE. With today's powder availability issues though, I don't blame you for trying whatever you have on hand.

- Bullwolf

Groo here
    I have an older DE [ 357 with the 44 conversion- no 50ae]
    In either chamber I have had no problems as long as I follow the DE manual.
    No light bullets, magnum powders, Full Power Loads.
    And NO LEAD BULLETS.
    With factory 357 158's or 44 240's Jackets I have had "ZERO" [0] jams of any sort.
    The gun is a hunting tool and as such works best with hunting [ max ] loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Also remember you cannot limp wrist the DE as you can some guns. It will jam and have feed issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I've had some success. I dipped into my reserve of H110 and tenatively have developed a load consisting of 24.0 grains of H110 and Remington's 240 grain jacketed hollow point. Unfortunately, with the factory sights, the point of impact is 4-5" above the point of aim at 25 yards. Recoil though is quite acceptable.

I ran out of Sierra's before the testing was finished but did get functioning with 15.5 grains of Blue Dot. I also started working on a cast bullet load, that appears to be a success with Blue Dot. Using Lyman's 245 grain 429421, I got 100% functioning with 14.5 grains of Blue Dot. To get an OAL that would fit the magazine, I seated the bullets to 1.575" with a heavy crimp over the first driving band (ahead of the crimping groove). I carefully cleaned out the gas system after firing 25 test loads. There was a lot of lead soldered onto the gas channel that needed scraping off with a brass screw.