RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percussion Caps

Ohio Blue Tip is out of business.

Diamond is the only brand of strike anywhere matches that you can get now. Ace Hardware usually has them.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

I'm convinced to add a "stockpile" order from Midway, but it brings up a question. Just got a Ruger Old Army and it hasn't arrived yet. I keep hearing about problems with different cap sizes on the nipples - some of you have those revolvers - what size fits best?
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Navy vs german vs CCi...

Most of the time the regular caps by Navy Arms or the "German" red label caps do just fine esp the musket caps; the number 10 size Remingtons are ok, NOT fine but ok, the Dixie Gun Works #10 caps do WELL, BUT they are hard copper & jam up on the nipple, esp on revolvers - the Remingtons are "softer" & do not jam as much.
    The CCI's are hotter caps, be they musket or #10 size - the CCI's "spit" fragments that WILL sting (just a bit) your hand / arm.
    MAYBE try focusing your cleaning on the "flash channel" below the nipple pocket...? Carbon build up there will choke off the "fire" before it gets to the B.P.
    John Mc
    NSSA, NRA Life.

Caps that split, shatter, fall off or are hard to go on are also signs of a poor nipple to cap fit. Often, sanding down the nipples a little will take care of most of these problems. Obviously, if the caps are falling off, then sanding down the nipples is not the answer.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Caps that split, shatter, fall off or are hard to go on are also signs of a poor nipple to cap fit.

When shooting my Lyman GPR in 54 cal. Most of the time the split, shatter is what happens to my caps. So far I have only tried the CCI caps. I didn't know that the split, shatter was a sign of anything wrong. This is my first percussion rifle.

Some brands of cap are slightly bigger than others. CCI & Remington both claim to make standard #10 & standard #11 caps. From experience, I can tell you that one brand is a little tighter than the other. I don't remember which was which. I standardized on CCI & custom cut all my nipples to fit them a long time ago. RWS also makes a 10.5, that is between the #10 & #11. Sometimes, just changing the brand of caps that you use is enough to get rid of the problem. Sometimes, you have to put the nipple in a drill press & spin it while holding sandpaper against it until you get a good fit. A cap that fits snug, but not tight is usually what you want. I often try to turn a little hump in the nipple to retain the cap better. The cap should split when fired, but not shatter. A shattered cap is usually a sign that it was too tight on the nipple. It could be caused by other problems too though.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

I was out shooting an 1863 Starr this afternoon and it has a set of nipples that are size 10 or just a fuzz smaller. However, what I had on hand was CCI #11 Magnum caps. By squeezing the sides a bit the caps were made to fit and stay securely on the nipples without any misfires. I have tried the German caps and they are certainly good caps, along with the Remington and CCI brands and everyone of them goes bang everytime. The Starr has very generous sized flash holes and setting off the charge does not seem to be a problem with any of the brands. I will try to get a hold of the Lyman Tap-o-cap when Midway gets them. I have a thousand toy cap gun caps and will experiment with making reliable caps. Probably I think they will work out for the Starr, although if I had an inline I would not be so optimistic.

That pinch-a-cap trick is ok on single shot guns, but it can be a bit of a chain fire risk on a C&B revolver.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Just picked up 2 tins of Winchester "Magnum" caps at Wal-Mart. Won't get a chance to try 'em til next week. They don't say "CCI" or anything like that on the package - maybe made by Winchester?
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    I'm convinced to add a "stockpile" order from Midway, but it brings up a question. Just got a Ruger Old Army and it hasn't arrived yet. I keep hearing about problems with different cap sizes on the nipples - some of you have those revolvers - what size fits best?
    Jim,

I've got a Ruger Old Army, and use CCI #11
    on it. They are a good tight fit on mine, and
    have had no problems wth them so far.

Boolit Master

need percussion caps

I need to resupply for my caplocks. Any good sources you know of? thanks dual

Boolit Master

Aside from ordering them from my club, I have considered doing this.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=842064
    Hey, why not?

Boolit Master
    I've considered the Tapocap, but have read a lot of negative reviews on the reliability of the caps. What I need now is a good deal on 5000 #11s. That should see me thru. I do have one flinter and plenty of Goex. Found a flint mine open to the public up in Modoc county. Way way out in the boonies. About a mile from where I got that buck, along the old Lassen wagon trail. (Am I digressing?)

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Remember, percussion caps are subject to hazmat shipping.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Walmarts around here (Southeast) have Winchester caps for 4.50/100. No telling who makes them; anyone know?

Boolit Master

Look at powder valley, midsouth, graf&sons to name a few
    see who gives the best deal and then buy from them.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I use #11's on all my revolvers; pinching the sides keeps them in place, and they split on firing which makes for easy removal. Never had a chainfire (yet).

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Last MUSKET caps I bought were at the Indianapolis Show in September for $5 Bought the only 2 tins available.
    Another member & I just bought 2000 #10 caps for $54 delivered from a dealer selling out. We bought the last there were.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.