MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Wc 735

Boolit Man

Wc 735

Hi All,

Just purchased 7lbs of WC 735 which I am told by Higginson powders is 5% faster than H-335. It was way cheaper than than H-335 (out of stock) and they had it in stock (800lbs of it I am told!). Has anyone ever used this powder before?

I normally load my RD359-190-RF over 39.5grains of H-335, so using WC 735 I plan to reduce my powder charge to 35.5grains (10% less) and run those over the chrono and increase by 0.5grains till I reach the 2200fps that I got with the 39.5grains of H-335.

My second cartiage that I use H-335 with is the 444 marlin and a 330grain bullet. My normal load is 56grains of H-335 so I plan to load 50.5grains (10% less) and work up in 0.5grain increases till I get to 2000fps.

Is this a sound call or should I decrease the charge by 15%,20%?

Anyone have any advice for me when working with surplus powders?

Thanks
    7.62man

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Your plan is good. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Man
    Thanks Felix

Now I just have to sit on my hands until my powder comes in

Also, think about adjusting backwards by 0.5 grain at a time, not just foward. In other words, use an open mind at all times whenever you change a powder type and/or lot number. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62Man View Post
    Hi All,

Just purchased 7lbs of WC 735 which I am told by Higginson powders is 5% faster than H-335. It was way cheaper than than H-335 (out of stock) and they had it in stock (800lbs of it I am told!). Has anyone ever used this powder before?

I normally load my RD359-190-RF over 39.5grains of H-335, so using WC 735 I plan to reduce my powder charge to 35.5grains (10% less) and run those over the chrono and increase by 0.5grains till I reach the 2200fps that I got with the 39.5grains of H-335.

My second cartiage that I use H-335 with is the 444 marlin and a 330grain bullet. My normal load is 56grains of H-335 so I plan to load 50.5grains (10% less) and work up in 0.5grain increases till I get to 2000fps.

Is this a sound call or should I decrease the charge by 15%,20%?

Anyone have any advice for me when working with surplus powders?

Thanks
    7.62man
    Your plan has a major flaw. WC-735 is faster than H-335, so with equal bullet weights, if you load WC-735 up to the same MV as you get with H-335, then you will be at a higher pressure than with the slower H-335. You should stop when you are at an MV approximately 5% slower than the H-335 load (it's not as simple as "5% faster powder gives 5% less MV at the same pressure", but for simplicity's sake it's not a bad rule of thumb). A chrony is crucial to developing loads with unknown powders, and using your examples, I'd stop at about 2100 fps and 1900 fps respectively.

I also have 7 lbs of WC-735 and have done enough testing to conclude that its similar enough to H-322 to simply use H-322 load data.

Thanks, Andy! ... felix
    felix

Use AA2200 data.

MJ

Boolit Mold
    Andy is pretty much right on. You can however watch for pesure signs and not pay any attention to a crono, that`s the way we did it before crono`s were around. When loading to the max. that way you need to do it on the hottest day of the year, and when you find max. back off alittle because next year may have a hotter day. Another thing is that in short barreled gun you can get higher velocities with faster powders, SOME TIMES. YOU SHOULD AT ALL TIME BE AWARE OF PRESURE SIGNS. That is with all loads includeing factory.

Boolit Man
    I forgot the 5% faster and therfore 5% less top velocity. Thanks Andy Similar to h-332 you say that is great as I have load data for the 444 that uses H-332. Will have to load at data for the 35rem.

Marlin Junky I will look into AA2200 never used this powder because we can't get it. Will look at the data. For the 35 rem it should be easy byt he 444 and the 330 grain bullet is going to be an issue.