Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: containers for small amounts of powder

Boolit Master

containers for small amounts of powder

i want to make up a small reloading kit for my kids hornet. i have a lee loader (thanks to a great person here!), boolits, etc. i'm using a percussion cap container, the small snuff kind, for primers. what would be a suitable small powder container? i was thinking of a metal tin from pellet gun pellets. the one i have is metal and has a screw on top. would this be ok? plastic better? do i need to worry about static?

I set up a reloading kit for a friend a while back and used an A/C refregrant oil can. it held enough H4831 to load 40 rds of 7mm mag. about 6" tall 3" wide and 1" thick steel can with steel cap. if you want I could mail you 1 or 2. let me know.. thank you josh delozier

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Or a metal flask like for whiskey...............
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

they are making the aluminum beer " bottles" miller, I think that has a screw on cap. To help a buddy out If you send money I will test the contents and send the old containers to you. rick

Boolit Master

first off, i would never contaminate my favorite flask with lowly powder, that's alcohol abuse around here. :P

second, as i should have stated, i want to use something small. i'm only loading 1 (one) grain of unique under these bator bullets in the hornet. no need for a half pound of powder. i think the metal pellet tin is going to be my best bet. i just wanted to know if anyone here saw a safety problem using it.

Boolit Master

answer No powder was shipped in steel for many years. Till plactic took over the land fills

Boolit Buddy
    Or a twist top tin for pipe tobacco same idea just slightly larger. If you need one PM me i'm sure I might have one laying around.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master

thanks for the offers guys. i've got a tin here.

I have no qualm with your powder tin, but please rethink your primer tin. Primers should be kept in the original sleeve ONLY. Loose primers can detonate if shaken, and that would not be a pleasant thing for the lad.

Boolit Master

+1 on the primers. A 100 primer tray takes up very little room and keeps them all separated and safe.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Bub
    Go to your fovorite health and beauty aid provider or pharmacy and look for the small travel size containers. Sometimes you can get a bag of various sizes for a few bucks.
    Terrier
    Never Forget and Never Forgive

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    I have no qualm with your powder tin, but please rethink your primer tin. Primers should be kept in the original sleeve ONLY. Loose primers can detonate if shaken, and that would not be a pleasant thing for the lad.
    This is solid advice. It was the very first thing that came to my mind when I read your post.

Boolit Master

i kinda figured if it was good enough for percussion caps it would be for primers, but i'll keep them in the original box.

one guy pm'd me about a 35mm film can for powder. i thought of that, but wanted something that couldn't pop open. the tin is screw on.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsurgeon View Post
    first off, i would never contaminate my favorite flask with lowly powder, that's alcohol abuse around here. :P
    A man after my own liver.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by hornsurgeon View Post
    i kinda figured if it was good enough for percussion caps it would be for primers, but i'll keep them in the original box.
    The percussion cap only has the cup and the priming compound to worry about, nothing to come apart. Center fire primers also have the anvil to add to the mix. If mishandle it may fall out rendering it useless. At best after falling out they are a pain in the **** to put back in. Not to mention the safety concerns addressed above.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Grand Master
    The heavier plastic analgesic type bottles ( Aleve, Ibuprofen, ect..) are great for small amounts of powder. They have a secure, child resistant bottle cap.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Airsoft BB containers (smallest size) would hold a few ounces of powder, have a screw on lid, and a nice little nozzle. Not sure if the nozzle is too fine for powder to flow readily though.

link to show what I'm talking about:

http://ammo4airsoft.com/BBs%202.jpg

Boolit Bub

small amounts of powder

A couple of years ago, I purchased an "Xperimental pack" by hodgdon. 4 four oz. bottles of powder. Ask around someone should still have one of the bottles. Just be sure to clean it out good.

Moderator Emeritus

Film Canister?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the studio I should still have a box of 60's era 35mm film cans—the aluminum ones with a screw-on lid and the vinyl gasket. 70mm cans were larger, but only have a slip-on lid.
    Let me know if you're interested.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast