Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliant Powder shortage coming

Alliant Powder shortage coming

Posting a FB post made by Powder Valley today. I've enough powder myself, but be aware it might not just be Alliant ....
    POWDER VALLEY
    FYI – we have just received the following message from Vista Outdoors (the parent company of Alliant Powders):

“Due to the worldwide shortage of nitrocellulose, the Vista Outdoor supply agreement for the sale of Alliant Powder canisters has been suspended for an unknown period. At this time, we have no timeline for the fulfillment and will be canceling outstanding Alliant orders in our system.

Representatives will provide updates and coordinate new orders based on availability.”

We have heard mixed messages from various powder suppliers about the availability of nitrocellulose, and therefore powder, over the past several months. This is one Manufacturer’s analysis of the situation. We are posting this so you can have all the information we have and draw whatever conclusions are right for you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It's going to get a lot worse.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Hell, one would have thought this was already the case with how they've doubled the price on the powders they were selling.... I haven't been buying powder. And Alliant hasn't even been something I've considered buying for a while now. They're charging $50/lb for powder that was $20/lb just a few years back.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Mold
    I thought the Alliant stuff was ALREADY hard to find. I'm fairly well stocked, but could use another can of Unique I suppose. The Bofors (aka Reloder) stuff has been near impossible to get for some time already.

It's funny, VihtaVuori doesn't seem to be having a problem getting nitrocellulose. Maybe all of the Bofors powder is going to the Ukraine effort. Alliant is simply not going to be a player in this space soon. Which will leave it all to Hodgdon and their various imports from ADI or Lovex or whomever.
    Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob; 05-09-2024 at 03:59 PM.

saw a news item about the supply of nitrocellulose... 50% of world production is from Russia and 30% is from China... they both are not taking many orders from any place in the west these days... add to that the forever war has created a shortage of 155mm arty shells so every one is out to make more.... on top of that environmental rules enforced by the EU prohibit trade with companies that are not using green enough production methods which effects nearly all extruded powder...

Boolit Master
    I read that the top producers and exporters are Thailand, China, and India.
    Also read from WSJ that Russia has recently ~doubled their imports - no surprise, with the last couple years.

Boolit Master
    There WASN'T a shortage already?
    Nitrocellulose is ridiculously easy and inexpensive to make (except for the regulatory/licensing B.S.). There's simply no excuse for the U.S. to NOT be making their own. The current administration probably opposes such things because the notion is too much like right.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 05-09-2024 at 09:58 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    It wasn't long ago when every powder company made their own nitrocellulose and most were located close to big plants that made nitric acid to reduce shipping hazards. Like everything else companies started contracting everything out to help their profits and I assume they could just buy nitrocellulose from China so they stopped. Now we have an issue. I am sure they can still make nitrocellulose and still have the equipment but with their big profits from the price increases they choose not to.

A while back it looked like there would likely be a President Dukakis. I panicked and went to the reloading store and bought all the Unique powder and large pistol primers / small pistol primers they had. Fortunately there wasn't.

Boolit Master

With the high prices of propellants I predict that there will be some new players getting into the smokeless powder manufacturing. These current powder producers have opened up the playing field. Some enterprising new manufacturers will step up and get into the market. That is my prediction!!! Hopefully we will see the end of this left wing cabal that is a endeavoring to destroy this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    A while back it looked like there would likely be a President Dukakis. I panicked and went to the reloading store and bought all the Unique powder and large pistol primers / small pistol primers they had. Fortunately there wasn't.
    Dukakis? I think these might be crazier times...
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Dukakis? I get your point but I think these might be crazier times...
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    I'm betting when it is available prices will be way up. build yourself a powder bunker and stock up now if you haven't already.
    sounds like someone ought to get busy with India cranking up production, they dont have any environmental regulations that cant be bought and paid for. just take a look at thier ship breaking business if you might have any doubts about it.

Boolit Buddy
    $57 for a pound of unique at the LGS today. Only one in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got a case of 4895 and a case of 4064 today. Maybe the last ones for a while???

Boolit Buddy
    If your in the Wichita Ks area Finleys hobby on central has a variety of alliant powder. $47 for a pound of Bulls Eye

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I'm betting when it is available prices will be way up. build yourself a powder bunker and stock up now if you haven't already.
    sounds like someone ought to get busy with India cranking up production, they dont have any environmental regulations that cant be bought and paid for. just take a look at thier ship breaking business if you might have any doubts about it.
    Powder from India?
    No doubt some form of dot powder.

still using red dot, 2400, powder + CCI + Winchester spp,lpp, srp,+ lrp primers purchased back then at prices more than apx. 60% less then todays prices -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Shady Grady. 30 Lb of 30+ year old shotgun powder was a gamble but I rolled a 7. With my new habit of duplexing powders this will last beyond forever.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

I'll go with those who say the shortage has never really ended. I haven't seen any Alliant powder for sale for a couple of years. But the only store I have access to that sells powder is currently well stocked with the Accurate line and some Hogdon powders. I've probably got all I'll ever need, but a few more lbs. can't hurt. What with the world conditions being what they are, the next shortage may prove to be permanent.

DG