Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tell me about evaporust

Boolit Bub
    Loctite Extend is great stuff as well. It will convert the rust into a coating. I've used it on all sorts of stuff and it flat works.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've tried it and was not impressed.
    Give white vinegar a try.
    The smell is the biggest drawback, but it worked great for me.
    Rust flakes off, and everything turns black.
    Just wash it in water, and scrub with wire brush, stainless scrubber or scotch bright.
    It's also so much cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

Vinegar, if left over a weekend, will eat through a stainless steel bowl. Our son found that out unintentionally.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I can't weigh in on the other options, but I've used quite a bit of evaporust. I had a 5 gallon bucket about half full and I was de-rusting a bunch of stuff from my 68 Mustang as I was building it, as well as a bunch of misc parts from my other hobby...simplicity garden tractors. Everything from timing covers to mower deck shafts, spindles, and pulleys went in that bucket over the course of about 2 years. Never saw a drop in performance and it cleaned everything up down to bare metal. Nastier parts took some brushing off and then putting back in, but it never failed to do what I wanted. My typical soak was about 8-12 hours and I'd just keep putting things back in until it was where I wanted it. Everything got rinsed, degreased and painted, or rinsed and bagged with a healthy spray of WD-40 into the bag before sealing. I actually had hands on one of the bags of mower spindles yesterday and they are as good as they day I put them in, which was probably back in '18.

I use evaporust on some of the antique kerosene lamps I deal with.
    Quite a few have iron bases and iron or steel stay bolts, almost always rusted.

I put the parts in an old sealable coffee can with the vapo and let them soak a day or two. Pull them out and rinse in hot water, clean off the black that's left behind by the vapo. Dry and either leave in the white or coat them with paint or lacquer.

They always come out looking good and no complaints from fellow collectors or customers.

It is reusable, until it starts looking black or kind of thick. Or both!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Been a LONG time since it was that cheap!!!! it is 30.00 a gallon now but because it can be used over and over it is worth it to me. And remember that the bluing on guns IS rust!!! It will remove the bluing.
    I guess it's been that long since I bought any. I have one gallon that is dirty but still good and another gallon that is waiting unopened to be used next.

Boolit Mold
    Okay, a bit of an aside to this topic ... we have a water will with high iron content. The iron stains in the toilets tortures my wife, so we've tried all kinds of "bathroom" cleaners and chemicals that are supposed to remove that rust ... but not really. One mix of chemicals (I don't recall what it was) worked, but was obviously putting out vapor that was harmful, so I killed that idea.

Is evaporust ever used on ceramic successfully, or have any of you found something that "really" works.

Sorry about digressing WAY out from casting bullits.

BTW, I'm a newbie here and to casting bullits, though I have spent my life working with metals in many art forms and even done some casting in bronze and silver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
    Okay, a bit of an aside to this topic ... we have a water will with high iron content. The iron stains in the toilets tortures my wife, so we've tried all kinds of "bathroom" cleaners and chemicals that are supposed to remove that rust ... but not really. One mix of chemicals (I don't recall what it was) worked, but was obviously putting out vapor that was harmful, so I killed that idea.

Is evaporust ever used on ceramic successfully, or have any of you found something that "really" works.

BTW, I'm a newbie here and to casting bullits, though I have spent my life working with metals in many art forms and even done some casting in bronze and silver.
    I have used pumice stone to remove rust on toilets. Bought it on Amzon. Comes in a stick.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post

I sent you a PM on how to get rid of the iron stains as well as the iron and possibly sulfur in the well.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Evapo-Rust works safely even on items that have great precision. It lasts a very long time if you only put grease and oil free steel into it. It does not convert rust into magnetite or some other iron compound like some chemicals; it just removed the rust and stops working. Often the steel will turn dark or black but that brushes off easily. The manufacturer recommends rinsing the metal in running water after removing it from Evapo-Rust and letting it air dry. They say that it will protect from further rusting for two days. https://www.evapo-rust.com/rust-remover-crc/#how-to-use
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris