RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Lee 452-160gr- RF anyone using this bullet.

Lee 452-160gr- RF anyone using this bullet.

Is anyone using the Lee 452-160gr RF mold? If so for what cartridge 45acp. 45 Long Colt, 450 Bushmaster etc.

Boolit Buddy
    My Walther PPQ45 loves this bullet. It is loaded scary short to plunk and chamber, so charge weights were started very low and worked up. Not sure it will feed in every .45ACP though, the Walther is pretty forgiving.

Boolit Master
    its the only mold i use for 45acp i love it

takes less lead to cast
    faster than a 230gr 900-1100 possible
    less recoil
    takes 1-2grs more powder than reddot to cycle gun vs 230gr

Thanks place to start, how about in a 450BM bolt rifle?

This mold was intended for cowboy action (45 colt, 45 S&W and 45 cowboy special) for minimum recoil, save lead/costs and to cycle in lever guns. Remember in 45 caliber guns, a round ball weighs about 140 grains so this is pretty close to be a flying disk. Again intended for close range cowboy action lead targets. If one finds alternate uses such as 45 acp, then good. Don’t expect it to cut sharp holes in paper like match 185-195 grain SWC intended for 45 acp target shooting.
    I’ve been firing its 200 grain version in my cowboy action guns for 7 years and of course it feeds very fine in 45 colt lever guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Thanks place to start, how about in a 450BM bolt rifle?
    I bet it would be fine with a TrailBoss load in 450 bm.

Anything faster than 45 acp and I’d assume it would cause leading and be a major disappointment.

Look into Puff-Lon filler, if you’re determined to try it in 450bm. It’s severely mismatched in my opinion.

http://www.pufflon.com/newfront.html
    Last edited by Barry54; 05-09-2024 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added link

Was just looking to punch paper and small game at no more than 50 yards

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Was just looking to punch paper and small game at no more than 50 yards
    I’d suggest at least a 200 grain bullet. You will gain significantly more bearing surface and likely much better accuracy sooner with less development to get there.

The 450 Bushmaster is a large case relative to the 160 grain boolet. If you are going for cost effectiveness, small charges of pistol powder is common. That little bullet will almost amplify differences in powder position in the case. You could use a heavier crimp, but then you are working expensive brass excessively.
    Last edited by Barry54; 05-10-2024 at 09:51 AM.

Yes - I posted my first attempt in your other thread on 450BM with light bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 255gr 450 BM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	326442

Boolit Grand Master

Seems to me to be the same idea as a collar button for .45-70 which works just fine as a gallery/small game/plinking load. The collar button (Lyman 457130 is a 150 gr. bullet) originally intended for light .45-70 loads.

I had Accurate make me a scaled down .45 TC design of 160 gr. in .433" for use in my .44 Mag. Marlin for the same reasons... less lead and lower recoil for kids, ladies and general light load plinking. Of course the .44 mag. is smaller volume than the 450BM but if a collar button works in a .45-70 then the Lee 160 gr. should work fine in 450 BM.

For the price of a Lee mould give it a try. A small charge of fast powder like Bullseye or Red Dot should work fine.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Interesting, I had never heard of Puff-Lon. Anybody using it? All I ever hear about is dacron.

Only cartridge I used it in was the 45 Colt for cowboy action shooting. Worked well for up close and personal kinda shooting.

Did Lee ever come out with a six cavity version of the mold?

I always thought it was kind of silly not being available in the 6 cavity version.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Interesting, I had never heard of Puff-Lon. Anybody using it? All I ever hear about is dacron.
    The stuff seems to last forever. I called them up to get my first bottle. He asked for my address and he said he would send it. I said don’t you need my credit card?

No. There will be a self addressed envelope with the package. Send your payment after you get the product...

I’ve tried their fire lapping filler on a badly pitted barrel and a poorly grouping Bear Creek barrel as well. I feel like the products are well worth the price.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I know Puff-Lon is much different than Dacron. Dacron is mostly air and used simply to hold powder near the primer for reduced loads. Puff-Lon is a fairly dense fiber filler (much denser than Dacron anyway) with lunricant in it used for slightly reduced full power loads. They say to drop the powder charge by 10% when using Puff-Lon. Maybe Barry54 can elaborate some since he has first hand experience. I have seen it but not used it to date. I use COW + powdered graphite in some reduced rifle loads.

Fillers are a controversial topic, especially fillers like Puff-Lon or granular fillers like COW or shotgun buffer. COW works well for me so I keep using it. I am sure Puff-Lon would provide similar performance for my use.

Longbow