WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Mannlicher Schoenauer/Lyman #36 oscillating sight

Boolit Man

Mannlicher Schoenauer/Lyman #36 oscillating sight

A 1927 Breda, Greek contract, 6.5x54 sporterized carbine joined the family recently. Since I paid too much for it (lol...78 yrs old and still an impulse buyer) I was thinking about trying to balance the books a bit by selling the redundant sight. The carbine has a scope nicely mounted. There is nothing that comes up on the internet to help me establish a price. Nick Stroebel's vintage sight collectors catalog has some errors and omissions, which doesn't inspire much confidence.
    Has anybody observed any sales in the last 10 yrs that would help me with a ballpark number?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of Lyman #36 sights on sporterised Remington Mosin Nagants, rifles that were modified into sporters, with those sights, long before WW2. The sights are really well made, and the swinging arms work flawlessly when the bolts are manipulated. In 1927 a brand new US made Mosin M1891 rifle was $3.90 from the DCM/NRA, and those Lyman #36 sights were $10 each, to give you some perspective.

Last time I looked, Lyman #36 sights for Mosins were in the $200 range, at least on fleabay, if that helps. Btw, #36 sights are not interchangeable between different models, as the bases were made specifically for either the MN or that Mannlicher of yours. I believe the sights are marked on the underside of the bases.

You have to ask yourself if you are reducing the inherent collector value of that rifle by removing those very rare receiver sights, esp if the rifle is in nice condition, regardless of it having a scope.
    Last edited by fgd135; 05-07-2024 at 12:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    From memory , but don't hold me to it. Lyman #36 swinging sights for Mannlicher Schoenauer came in a few models , specific to pre WW2 or after for one set of variables. Also , they are priced to what the market bares , I'm thinking roughly more like $375 + . There was somebody reproducing these sights as 1:1 copies , priced at level of original equipment. I had one on 1903 carbine that had been reblued and modified , but a good shooter . Sight repeated dead nuts. I'd be inclined to pull the scope & shoot irons , IMHO

Boolit Bub
    The #36 is a wonderful aperture sight. I have 2 on my Mannlichers. Tedly's price is probably more realistic but these sights don't come up for sale very often. Condition is everything on these collectable apertures.