Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 450-3-1/4" BPE Boolits for Double Experss rifle

Boolit Mold

450-3-1/4" BPE Boolits for Double Experss rifle

Good morning Boolits Nation,
    I need some guidance, Im preparing to load for and 1890's Alex Henery Double rifle with replacement barrels from the 1980s proffed for 100 gr BP and 310 Grain Bullets. I've checked barrel dimension by casting and pushing lead through the barrel, actural .458 bullets should do nicely. The bullets have been the issue tracking down. I have everything else to complete the load. Does anyone know someone I can contact to purchase an appropriate bullet with greese groves vs casting? I'd prefer not to cast If I dont need to. It seems everyone is out of stock for a bullet of similar wieght or that they are provideing or shooting a much heavier grain of bullet and 310 gr. Any Ideas on where to start guys? If anyone has them for sale, lets talk. Item number 2, if im shooing an actual 310 gr bullet that is considerably shorter than lets say a 480 grain bullet should I seat it deeper or should I fill the space and keep the overall lenth near the 3.25"? What are your opinions. FYI, Im not interisted at this time in paper patching.
    Thanks guys for your input!!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a Webly and Scott 450 BPE. Nothing makes me giggle like firing that double rifle.

No need to worry about the length of the cartridge at this point. Load the 100 grs, then seat the bullet on the powder. You can experiment with varying load elements later if needed.

Boolit Master
    You might want to check with Oregon Trail, https://oregontrailbullets.com they offer a 300 grain hard cast that may work for you. I've shot about 250 of their laser cast 350 grain RNFP .459 bullets thru my 500-450 3-1/4" BPE. I was very pleased with the way they grouped shooting nitro for black loads using H-4198. You could also go with a traditional soft paper patch bullet.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results and please post pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

You may find a Lyman 457-191 is appropriate.
    They say it a 300gr boolit but mine drop 305+/-
    The Oregon trail boolits look good too but buying 200 of a boolit that may not be what you like is a risk.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep you posted!!

When I loaded the 450 nitro express, I used the Lyman 457122, it's a little heavier than what you're looking for but it shot ridiculously well out of two different Rigby double rifles. When I got tired of the superfluous hollow point, I had Accurate make me a 457122 clone, but with out the HP.

Used 5744 and Trailboss for dinger ringing loads.

Too much fun, don't do it anymore. Bummer.