WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38-55 head scratcher

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Joe, I will load some with Olde Eynesford, just because it is the right thing to do.
    The more I think about these issues and this thread the more embarrassed I am that it did not occur to me the velocities expected were too much to ask of the Lee bullet with Alox only. I powdered coated some this morning and will try those at around 1600 or so and bet they will be fine.
    I am using published data, but I think a second issue is for me to quit thinking of this as a .375 Winchester and focus on it as a .38-55 with tight bore and relatively fast twist. I have reached the age where it is easier to get confused, sorry to confess!
    Bill
    Bill I had a 375 big bore years ago, ran it full house with soft lead gas checked boolits, shot ok at the time - but ok then woulda been 4 - 6" at 100yards with the barrel sights - I was recoil soft those days and that thing booted - I sold it and when the 38/55 came along (nice wood, 24"inch octagonal barrel) I bought it. That gold plated piece sat on the rack with a box of ammo beside it for almost a year - I would take it down, oil it, put it back in its place, it came (supposedly) new in the box, unfired, I walked in there one lunch time and like it was mocking me from on high, grabbed it down with three rounds and a paper target, out the back and at 50 yards off a rest those three almost touched.
    So now youre not unfired !!
    A couple days later I shot a string of ten at 100yards my rest that day was a woven plastic fertiliser bag with a few shovels of dirt in it - stripped the gold plating off of the sharp edges on the underside of the action ----oooooops!
    So now youre not New In Box anymore
    Lets see can we make a blackpowder shooter out of this ?
    Its one of the few Lever rifles I have seen that stays right on point as it hots up - a well made gun and a fine shooter (just a shame about the gold plate - blue finish woulda been better)
    I just use that LEE 250 grain PB boolit, FFFg powder, one juice box wad over the powder, homemade blackpowder lube (50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil)

for yours I would forget the powder coat for blackpowder - its a hindrance - takes up space that would be better filled with grease lube

Boolit Master
    Joe, the PC boolits would not be my first choice but I didn't have any others cast. I agree on the PC taking up valuable lube groove real estate, especially considering the lube has to control 28 inches of fouling.

Boolit Master
    This is what worked for me. I've got a .38-55 94 Win made in 1898 that would keyhole half of them. I extended the bullet out so that I had to crush it into rifling by closing the lever. That took care of it.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.