MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wood stove ?

Boolit Master

wood stove ?

How feasible would using a wood-burning stove in my garage burning charcoal briquets instead of wood? I am wanting a good source of heat without the smoke filling up the garage. Ventilation will not be much of an issue. Asking now to plan ahead. TIA.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I'd think it'd work, but be kind of expensive to feed compared to scrounging wood.

I used to know a guy who was close to a company that made and rebuilt shipping pallets.
    They gave him all the chips & chunks they couldn't use that he wanted.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Ed, I had a wood burner that got so hot, it scorched the 2x6 support (between trusses) it was fastened to, even using double-walled pipe! It also burned the paint off the metal roofing at a height of 17 feet. Just too hot!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Maybe a wood pellet stove would be the answer if you can get pellets in your area. There should be no smoke. Around here about the only thing cheaper would be getting free wood or burning shell corn.

Boolit Master

the pellet stove idea is best, thermostat controlled and fuel is easy to store and readily available
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Yes, pellets are very good in the shop.I have both really, and old wood stove and a newer pellet stove that gets used often. Pellets are easy and safe plus temp controlled. When it gets really cold I fire up the wood heater burning all the trash wood around here like old pallets that are easy to get and cut up too.

Boolit Master

Is a pellet stove piped out the same way? I would like to be able to put casters on it for storage in the summer. Could I burn pellets without a chimney? New at this scenario.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Something else ya might want to check into is a waste oil burning stove.

It's a little more complicated, and some places have restrictions on them,
    but you can't beat the price of the fuel for one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Charcoal briquettes are pretty much designed to burn slow and give off a lot of smoke, not a good option if you want a relatively smoke free experience in my opinion.

Pellets have to be kept dry. I think even the normal humidity of a Missouri summer will do them in, I never had any last til the next year when I had a pellet/corn stove.

What I have now is a modern version of the old two burner kitchen stove. Forget about cooking on it, but it does burn smoke free(ish). Not cheap, I gave ~$300 for the stove, and the flue (triple wall) ended up costing ~$7-800 a few years ago.

I am fairly satisfied with it.

Robert

Boolit Master

Never burn anything but natural gas or propane without a chimney. Better to not burn those either. All combustion has by-products that are not good for your health, especially carbon monoxide if there is a shortage of oxygen to feed the fire.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

My desire is for a mostly smoke-free heating source for the colder months here in Missouri. One that is as simple as possible that would burn readily available fuels. I was thinking of a camp stove type setup with just a small chimney for the updraft. I have a 30 X 40 2-bay garage/workshop that is not insulated. Funds at this time are in SHORT supply due to the economy.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Get a mini-split.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If
    If you don't get the chimney hot it won't draft
    Without makeup air it won't draft

Would you light a pile of briquets on the floor?

Monoxide is insidious, get a detector.

With a 240V 40 amp outlet an electric heater will heat a house, short term.
    but short term, its easy. What you are trying to build is expensive.

Boolit Master

Propane tank and heater?

A bit of insulation might well be in order also, especially if funds are in short supply.
    It takes a lot less fuel to heat an insulated space.

Boolit Master
    After reading your post and concerns - the need for long term heat is not necessarily your concern? Using an efficient electric heater would likely be your best solution. No chimney, no concern of CO, no smoke, easily storeable, can be directed toward your area of choice in moments.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Watch the advertisements in your area a small "morning " type wood stove might come available.A pellet stove or used oil stove would work. Another trick is to keep aluminum or your lead pot on it as this will hold the heat and release it slower. A longer chimney pipe will do the same more surface area = more heat exchange.

One other thing to think about is a drum stove normally made from 55 gal drums . A smaller version could be made from 30 gallon drums. 2 30 gal drums one above the other the first is the fire box the upper a heat exchanger. Ideally this one would have some tubes ran thru it. If your handy this could be made by yourself. It could burn most materials old scrap wood, actual fire wood, charcoal, or even trash. Ideally the bottom barrel should have a grate and lined with fire bricks. It should also set on a fire brick pad.

The draw backs of the wood burners is warm up times it may be awhile from lighting till a change is felt. Another is dealing with the ashes. Last is having to stop what your doing to keep it fed.

The pellet stove with a feeder could be set low at night then turned up with a timer to start before you go out. Same with an oil stove.

There are you tube videos on making the barrel stoves and or oil stoves. Also there are videos on making pellets and bricks from sawdust old paper and other things.

Boolit Master

Brass, I have a propane heater set-up, top of the tank burner kind of things. Not too efficient, if you know what I mean. Have the idea of a boiler type system where a simple flame-type jet is directed into a pipe matrix; heats up the entire pipe system creating its' own updraft. Something of a Venturi effect.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Moderator Emeritus

Check your homeowners insurance before adding a wood or pellet burning device to the garage, and local fire codes(has to be off the floor X inches). If allowed a pellet stove will be the least amount of work. Most vent out the wall via a double wall pipe, the outer part draws in outside air for combustion, inner pipe is exhaust going out. Pipe feeds thru a wall thimble to keep it away form flammables.

Get one with a thermostat option and it can cycle form level 1(minimum) to whatever it is set at for when it calls for heat.

Propane and $$ machine tools is bad juju. Dosen't mean "can't".... means,understand the nature of the moisture issue.

Insulation is cheaper longterm,than heat... the added benefit is in summer. Major drawback is $$$.

Listen to suggestion about insurance. Good luck with your project.