RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Montana rifle barrel

Boolit Master

Montana rifle barrel

What happened to Montana Barrel Company? I bought two .32 X 13/16 X 42 barrels around 1989, built one for a good friend and put the other up for a good many years. I did mine in 2009. Sadly haven't shot it much or for a long time, until recently. Both rifles are very accurate and easy to load. Just wondering if anyone knows why they closed. They made a good barrel.

Boolit Master
    They sold and renamed it to Montana Rifle Company, they are known for very nice rifles. Also moved the company to somewhere in Michigan I think.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

from their web site:
    The Montana Rifle Co. Model 2022 is a fully-machined bolt-action rifle made in the the heart of American Manufacturing – Memphis, Michigan.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    They sold and renamed it to Montana Rifle Company, they are known for very nice rifles. Also moved the company to somewhere in Michigan I think.

Actually, Montana Rifle Barrel Co., and Montana Rifle Co. were separate, yet together. Brian did the barrels, son Jeff had the rifle co. I worked at Montana Rifle Co., and the barrel business was 20 yards away in a separate building.
    Brian had been producing the barrels for Remington, who eventually bought the business, and moved it down south somewhere.
    The 1999 actions were being cast by a subsidiary of Ruger.
    I hadn't heard about the company name being moved to Michigan. Quite possible, Jeff was a piss poor businessman.
    I think Brian may have another barrel co. here somewhere. I will say, when I was inspecting barrels, his were some of the best on the market, being better finished than even Lilja's. I do know the barrels coming out of there were all hand lapped.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Actually, Montana Rifle Barrel Co., and Montana Rifle Co. were separate, yet together. Brian did the barrels, son Jeff had the rifle co. I worked at Montana Rifle Co., and the barrel business was 20 yards away in a separate building.
    Brian had been producing the barrels for Remington, who eventually bought the business, and moved it down south somewhere.
    The 1999 actions were being cast by a subsidiary of Ruger.
    I hadn't heard about the company name being moved to Michigan. Quite possible, Jeff was a piss poor businessman.
    I think Brian may have another barrel co. here somewhere. I will say, when I was inspecting barrels, his were some of the best on the market, being better finished than even Lilja's. I do know the barrels coming out of there were all hand lapped.
    Interesting! I recall them being in seperate buildings, but assumed that they were joined. Thank you for the info!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Interesting! I recall them being in seperate buildings, but assumed that they were joined. Thank you for the info!

I see I misunderstood which company you are talking about. You are referring to the old Sharon Rifle Co. shop, while I was commenting on the later day company.
    When the company you refer to went out of business, Jerry Cunningham took it over, under the name Orion Barrels. I've not seen Jerry in years, and don't know if he is still making barrels.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!