MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bridle/ hair rigging for saltwater catfish

Bridle/ hair rigging for saltwater catfish

So I do kinda enjoy catching these salt water catfish out here.on my off watches I can fish off the side of the boat a bit . They put up a fun fight are always around . Deal is their hook swallowers and personally I don't like just killing or seriously injuring them , even if their "trash fish". Not to mention they are a pain to unhook when their deep caught. And hooks havent really helped , big small, circles ,J's, octopus heck circle hooks have been some of the WORST ones to deal with because when the swallow them their way harder to get out . So Been playing with this method.

So though they are pretty similar bridling and hair rigging are kinda different but in short you tie the bait to the hook so is a bit above the bait. Really popular way to do stuff across the pond where fish are kinda skittish and they do 90% catch and release. Mainly for carp but they do this type of stuff for most every larger fish.Basically with this big mouthed ,sucker type or just plain greedy fish they will inhale the hook along with the bait but the way it's rigged it positions the hook for a lip/corner set much better. There a guy who uses a similar deal with a 1/0 hook for catch and release gator gar fishing.
    https://youtu.be/Hhyjdu1sA00?si=LYW2fUGuwgHL4pBn
    It's also used for live bait with Bill fish in salt water over here and apparently gives better hook ups and make the bait troll more naturally. So yeah figured why not I could give it a try out here.

So honestly its not very hard or time extensive at all . Mabye 30sec. Make my bridle out of just some 30lbs braid because that's what I had. Apparently their actually like a thread or floss meant for this. But just a few inches and a over hand to make the loop

Use and upholstery needle to thread is though like so

So now I have two loops..just slide my hook though both. Twist it. Go under the twist . Give it another then go under that and boom

And yeah , actually I've been able to get more re casts with this then usual hooking in there softer baits which I thought was neat .
    And so far it's been work pretty well

So far regardless of the hook I've had 0 swallows where usually even with circles hooks I'd say it was like 80% swallows. Most hook set look about like this or similar. Really this was meant for the larger bigger mouthed gaftops but even these little hard heads have no problems just inhale omg the hook and bait

Wish I had a picture of the big gaftops caught with this this morning but hay .. cool thing is the bridle usually stays on and you can just peel it off and rebait with the same one

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Cool rig - I just learned something. You can eat the big ones, the flesh is fine in a filet.

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing wrong with a Gaftop other than the slime, old guy I know carried a tow sack in his boat to put them in to keep the slime out of the boat, If i am needing a mess for a fish fry I keep the big ones, cut the thin bloodline out. Gaftop are primarily live bait eaters not bottom scavengers. Last two trips caught all we wanted to clean on live shrimp, with cutting back on trout and redfish limits good source of fresh fish to fry.
    Good tip on the rigging, learned something new.
    Thanks