WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Strange alloy

Strange alloy

A buddy gave me some lead. He yard sale found it and gave it to me. It penciled out at 16-18 bhn and I thought it could make nice rifle bullets. I melt it in the pot and a lot of stuff came to the top. fluxed and its not mixing in. Tried casting a mold for 6.8 and 30 seconds later the sprue slid easily and the bullets were still molten looking. Dumped it all out and wiped the mold down. The bullets bent. The sprue lead broke and looked a cake like texture. Said Welp, not using this to make bullets.

Any ideas what it is contaminated with and what is could be useful for? Spinner bodies for fishing lures? Its about the same weight as lead, but not the same at all. Something at a lower melting temperature or is slower to setup than lead or WW lead.

Moderator Emeritus

Obviously, there is no way to know what you have by your description alone as there is more than one low temp casting alloy.
    I would investigate melt temp and freeze temp and if there is a slushy stage and how long that is.
    Also, if you got one complete boolit, weigh it and compare with weight of a known alloy cast in that mold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    XRF scan will give you the answer. The rest will be educated guesses, some more educated than others.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Look for your local Industrial X-ray company, go to their office and ask them to “ PMI” your ingots of mystery metal! Sometimes, if a written report is not needed, they won’t charge you anything! ( take a picture of the screen on the machine, and there’s your proof). Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!