Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipsey's 44 : I think I got a good one!

Boolit Bub

Lipsey's 44 : I think I got a good one!

The mailman just delivered my new (to me) Lipsey's NMBH Bisley Flattop 44 SPL, 4 5/8" blued. This one dates to 2015. The Gunbroker seller photographed it and shipped it dusty and dirty (literally) which probably saved me some $$. In his photos, it did not look too impressive, and in the ad he didn't bother with much of a description of the condition. In a private message he told me that the previous owner had carried it around in a holster some, but only fired less than a box of ammo (kind of like the car that the little old lady only drove to church on Sundays, LOL). I took a chance knowing that I could easily resell it if needed, and recoup my money. I just gave it a thorough cleaning and inspection (to the best of my ability), and it looks great ! It has some mild holster wear on the sharp edges in the expected places, but other than that it could almost pass for NIB/factory test fire only. The crown shows no wear, blueing completely intact, front of cylinder holes the same. Cylinder turn line is faint. Bore and cylinders look like mirrors once cleaned. Cylinder gap is .004". Chamber throats appear to be at least .4305. I don't have pin gauges yet, but .430 bullets (Hornady XTP and Missouri Keith)drop thru freely, only occasionally needing a very slight nudge to get them to pass. Cylinder lockup is very tight front to back and side to side. In all respects fit is better than my new production 45 Colt convertible Bisley, including the trigger. It probably will not need any trigger work, unlike the 45 which has significant creep and will probably need some work to be satisfactory. Underneath the grips everything was spotless. It did not include any box or papers, which probably helped the price, but I wanted it as a shooter, so that didn't matter to me.
    Until recently I have not been very interested in revolvers, but for years I have had my eye on this Lipsey's model because I have always thought it was "just right" with regards to caliber, frame size, Bisley grip. I have always been a fan of Elmer and the #5, and this is pretty close to his ideas. In fact, one of my biggest gun related regrets is that I did not get a TLA Grover's Improved #5 when they were in production. I came close several times, but did not "pull the trigger".
    I got rained out today, but may get to shoot it Sunday, looking forward to it. I think I will christen it with some Skeeter loads. I also have inbound a 5.5" stainless model, I hope it proves to be as nice as this one. I think it is a 2017 model.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78E99FFB-0891-459D-A42C-C1E872F15516.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	326238

Boolit Master

Got mine in 2015 Blue......sprung for a nice El Paso Saddlery holster to compliment it.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Bub
    I think I may start with a Galco SAO, just to figure out what I want, then get something nicer.

Name:	DSCN0151 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	326240not to hot on single actions, but love the 44 specials. my S&W 624 in 44 spec is my to go revolver.

Vendor Sponsor

That looks and sounds like you got a WINNER!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine just loves Skeeter Loads!

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Wow, very good! what boolit were you shooting?

Congratulations! I like mine, though I have my rear sight all the way to the right to get point of impact and point of aim to align. I will have it fixed some day, but otherwise I'm pretty content. I did replace the grip frame, as I prefer the XR3-RED. Mine shoots pretty good. I carry it daily in a Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster from Rob Leahy.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Wow, very good! what boolit were you shooting?
    Mihecs 432265 brass mold.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I screwed up last year and sold my Lipseys stainless 44 flattop Ruger. Bought it new back in the day and tripled my money, but man do I miss it. I did pick up a Lipsey GP100 44 Spl 5 inch blue, but it doesn’t have the same feeling as the flattop. Don’t you just hate it when you have brain farts like this?

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	326256
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Bub
    BAZOO, the stainless one I have on the way has the rear sight all the way to the right in the photos on GB. What is the issue on yours, front sight canted ? Before purchasing the gun I phoned Ruger and they stated that if the windage has to be maxed out to zero, that would be covered under warranty. We'll see. Great shooting both you guys, I hope mine shoot as well.

Boolit Bub
    Stubshaft, do you know the velocity of the Skeeter load in your gun ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I screwed up last year and sold my Lipseys stainless 44 flattop Ruger. Bought it new back in the day and tripled my money, but man do I miss it. I did pick up a Lipsey GP100 44 Spl 5 inch blue, but it doesn’t have the same feeling as the flattop. Don’t you just hate it when you have brain farts like this?

Name:	IMG_2273.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	326256
    I have one just like yours. Bet I haven't put 20rds through it. I need to get it out.

They will shoot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one as well
    just love the feel and they are accurate
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

The OP mentioned he has Missouri brand Keith bullets. Looking at the website, these are listed at Brinell 18. Be prepared to be disappointed. Not that these are not good bullets in 44 Magnum loadings, they just might be too hard for "only" 7.5 grains of Unique.
    I started my journey with a S&W 624 .44 Special using rock-hard, crayon-lubed commercial cast bullets sized .429" over 7.5 grs. of Unique. Results were dismal. Where was the superb accuracy Elmer and Skeeter always extolled? My own bullets, cast of straight wheel weights and sized .429, did no better. Oddly, a plinking load I had cobbled together with a now defunct brand of swaged bullet and a light charge of fast powder shot much better. I put the 624 into the safe and moved on to other projects.
    Years later I stumbled onto this site and learned about throat sizes, bullet obduration, and lubes. I bought a set of pin gauges. Then I bought a .432" sizing die, switched to a softer alloy, and discovered White Label (LSstuff, site sponsor!) lubes. I am now much happier.

P.S. My Skeeter load clocked 950 fps out of my 4" 624. This was a bit faster than I expected.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I am not sure what my issue is, but I suspect the barrel needs to be turned a hair. I cannot look at might and tell it's off. I actually put a bandaid on it and have been ignoring it a couple of years. Mine wasn't completely maxed out but it was 90% I'd say.

The notch they use in the rear sight is .115 wide. Normal for Single Sixes and other Blackhawks is .125 wide. I couldn't agree with the narrow notch, and I was thinking of replacing it with a .140 wide notched blade, which is the widest offered. Well, I decided to open up the .115 notch to .140, but only on one side. So the blade is more centered, but the notch off center. it's much less noticeable to me that way. I will eventually get it fixed.

I do have a very slight thread choke, but not enough that every plain based load leads.

I am reluctant to send the gun to Ruger. First, it's not all original, so they won't like that. Second, I had a Super Blackhawk right before I got this Flattop, and they never could get it right, finally just replacing it. I don't want to experience that with this gun. That's not always the experience with Ruger repairs, I have had amazing service there. But... I don't want to change it with the gun in question.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Bub

Name:	EA67B5DF-D6F4-4BDB-8517-E762E1E1C697.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	326416Shot the gun today, it's great! Once zeroed, first 4 shots on 25yd steel plate were all on top of each other, then I got excited and pulled the 5th shot, but very happy with the way it shoots. The Galco SAO holster came in today, it's real nice and fits great. Looks like it will be worth putting a little work into this one. Will probably look at having the front sight base milled to take pin-in blades and get one of Fermin's sights, and have the trigger cleaned up a little (has just a tiny bit of creep). Put 50 rds thru it today, it's a delight to shoot. Load was Missouri 240gr Keith HT coated, 7gr Unique. AV 897, ES 11, SD 5.3
    Last edited by 6.5X284ever; 05-08-2024 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I thought you were talking about that Lipsey GP100 Half Lug 44spl here: https://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder?f...eysexclusive=1

I almost picked up one of those instead of my 6" 357mag a month or so back. I think I'm going to be ordering it before too long...I'm never going to be done buying I don't think...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!