WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Is this good news for RCBS?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 31.00%
  • No

17 17.00%
  • Wait and see

52 52.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon Purchases RCBS!

This tells me all I need to know about Hodgdon:

OUR MISSION

Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, families, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.
    From this page: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/hodgdon/#
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

You better get your free service parts from RCBS while you still can. There is no way in Hades, that the Hodgdon family will honor that kind of warranty for long.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy
    Ought to say one for the RCBS employees, that they may keep their jobs.
    As far as importing nitrocellulose; that may be due to a lack of economical access to natural gas in parts the US. Thanks to Brandon.

Boolit Master

USofA imported about $280 million in Sulfuric Acid in 2023 (Guess where it came from - oh, that was China). The USofA also imported $110 Million in Potassium Nitrate, most coming from Chile or Israel, with less than 10% coming from China. In addition to importing the precursors of Nitrocellulose from China, as I previously stated - we also import significant amounts of NitroCellulose that was manufactured in China.

The principal raw material components of Nitrocellulose are Sulfuric Acid, Potassium Nitrate, and Cotton or wood pulp. All of these materials are readily available in the USofA without importation - provided the USofA allows mining and industrial production.

The Global Nitrocellulose production is about $1.2 Billion annually. Although we focus on it's use in production of munitions; that represents a small % of the use of Nitrocellulose which includes: Printing, Inks, Paints, Wood Coatings, textile products, Nail Varnishes, and many more that we use in day to day life. Dependency on China is a critical risk area.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel that giant corporate conglomerates are bad for the consumer in general. I hope that there won’t be any change in quality or service, but look at what happened to Boeing after McDonnell management took over.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Better them than some entity less motivated to keep their reputation.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Spoke with a gentlemen at RCBS repair parts and asked him about the buy out. He stated that the employees were all for it and that this is going to be a good thing for the company. May well be.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - Hang onto yer olde RCBS dies / presses / tools / etc.
    Do NOT sell 'em ! !!
    Last edited by GONRA; 05-07-2024 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondolane View Post
    Spoke with a gentlemen at RCBS repair parts and asked him about the buy out. He stated that the employees were all for it and that this is going to be a good thing for the company. May well be.
    We can all hope...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It may well be a good thing for RCBS but only time will tell if it is good for shooters. I really like the Hodgdon mission statement that was posted here, I don't like paying almost 3 times as much for powder as i did 2.5 years ago.

Boolit Master
    You see what Hodgdon has done with their powder prices don't you? Just about the most expensive out there. So what do you think they are going to do with RCBS? It is all about the money. And I am sure you can kiss the fantastic RCBS customer service with free replacement parts goodbye!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    This tells me all I need to know about Hodgdon:

From this page: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/hodgdon/#
    If that creed were true about it not being about the money then explain to me why their powder prices are the highest in the industry? Yea, it is ALL about the money. They may not be a conglomerate but the owners want the money. Same thing has happened with Midway and Lee, younger generation takes over and gets greedy. End result is the company eventually goes under. Family owned or otherwise
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 05-09-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    Amen to that!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I talked to a guy over a Bushnell customer service who was upset they did it.They are moving Bushnell to another state as well. He said he’s not packing up and going with so his last day is July 6th. He also said most jobs have already been eliminated and it’s a skeleton crew there right now. He was planing on buying some RCBS reloading supplies before he left but can’t now since he wasn’t aware it was getting sold. I ended up calling for a neighbor who had a spotting scope that broke and they are replacing under warranty.

Well, looking at the recent "price adjustments" for Hodgdon powders, I will for sure stock up on the RCBS consumables/equipment before they triple in cost...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    only time will tell if its a good thing or not. just a little observation here from someone who is not an expert but there are now very limited companies that sell powder to us reloaders and prices are way up but Alliant prices seem much higher than the powders under the hogdon umbrella

Boolit Master
    You mean like 70.00 a lb. for IMR 4895 and H4895 has been off the shelf for years now. Most of the Alliant prices I have seen were much lower than Hodgdon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    You mean like 70.00 a lb. for IMR 4895 and H4895 has been off the shelf for years now. Most of the Alliant prices I have seen were much lower than Hodgdon.
    Well, that wont last for long, Alliant will be discontinuing the sale of powder to the public soon. Thanks ukraine....
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Only time will tell, as the proof is in the pudding, but... this buyer could be that Belgian/French bunch that has gone all over the world buying stuff and steadily dinking the poodle, with their woke crapola, it could be much worse than the Hodgson buyer. Figure on Changes, but RCBS has now hired their old marketing manager back. At least someone figured out that sales and marketing, might have something to do with success.
    They said RCBS will stay in Redding, but....do not expect that to last too long as CA is not very friendly to free enterprise or tax structures for Corporations or indivuals, plus the state has a negative population transfer situation going on.
    If someone makes them a move/land/tax credit deal, well....
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I don't know?
    I've seen a lot of company's merge, or sell out with the promise nothing will change for the consumer or employees, then six months to a year later everything is different or gone!

Back in the early 70's my Dad worked for Speer-Omark as a machinist. As I recall he was real happy there. Then they shifted stuff around and it went down hill fast, don't remember the details. Dad was pretty upset till Ball Aerospace offered him a better deal. He spent 15 years there.

I have a lot of RCBS stuff, X's two and three with some things. Most of it 1970's vintage, so kind of good with reloading stuff. Back in the 90's I had problems with a then new hand primer and some decaping pins. Called RCBS customer service and they sent me the parts to fix free of charge. Have stuck with there brand since!

Time will tell on this deal. Hoping for the best but not holding my breath!