WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Banner scope day!

Banner scope day!

Picked up three new target scopes today!

Top is a very early first year Lyman Targetspot 10x in it's original box from likely 1934.

Middle is a Tasco copy of the old Bausch & Lomb Balvar in 6x-18x. These were made back in 1971, and have become pretty rare these days.

Bottom is a JW Fecker Champion 16x made 1949-1961 and this one is like new condition.
    Now I need to figure out which old guns they should be on?

Sunny guns. Envious! One needs to go on this rifle .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E04DAD53-39AA-41C0-B8A9-D8B5567EB784.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	326195
    My Lester Cox made .36 slug gun muzzle loader

My new Fecker was purchased with the objective bell cap missing. I contacted a fella in Pa. about making a replacement cap and he asked for ID and OD on my scope bell. Less than a week later I got the cap and it fits perfectly! Great workmanship, and he asked me to not send payment until I was happy with how it fit.

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine had one of those Tasco scopes mounted on a model 700 bolt gun in .308. We used to shoot varmints with milsurp ammo - lots of fun!

I had and used on of those Tasco scopes on Remington.22 target rifle and used it for 50’ indoor shooting. It is a dandy using scope. Wish I still had it. Got into Silhouette shooting and swapped it for a Weaver “T” scope. We would joke that the perfect silhouette scope was Leupold optics, Weaver movements and a Tasco price.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    A buddy of mine had one of those Tasco scopes mounted on a model 700 bolt gun in .308. We used to shoot varmints with milsurp ammo - lots of fun!
    I looked at mounting it on my Remington 700VSF varmint rifle in .22-250, but the VSF has the fluted bull barrel and would require a front base that would have to be out on the barrel instead the spacing on the receiver holes. If mounted on the receiver holes the scope would be too close to the shooter's eye and I'd need to hold the rifle off my shoulder to shoot it.
    these scopes take at least a 7.25" spacing, or longer, so not sure how your buddy's was setup to use one? Unless he had a plain round barrel of fairly large diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    I had and used on of those Tasco scopes on Remington.22 target rifle and used it for 50’ indoor shooting. It is a dandy using scope. Wish I still had it. Got into Silhouette shooting and swapped it for a Weaver “T” scope. We would joke that the perfect silhouette scope was Leupold optics, Weaver movements and a Tasco price.
    They're pretty heavy scopes, so make great scopes for shooting off a rest, but not so much for a heavy offhand rifle where more weight isn't the best.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    They're pretty heavy scopes, so make great scopes for shooting off a rest, but not so much for a heavy offhand rifle where more weight isn't the best.
    Yup they are heavy. My Lester Cox muzzle loader is built to be a bench gun. It’s set up with the blocks for external adjustment scope. Just a matter of parting with the $ needed to get the scope. Should have been rich rather than so darned good looking. Lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I looked at mounting it on my Remington 700VSF varmint rifle in .22-250, but the VSF has the fluted bull barrel and would require a front base that would have to be out on the barrel instead the spacing on the receiver holes. If mounted on the receiver holes the scope would be too close to the shooter's eye and I'd need to hold the rifle off my shoulder to shoot it.
    these scopes take at least a 7.25" spacing, or longer, so not sure how your buddy's was setup to use one? Unless he had a plain round barrel of fairly large diameter?
    I remember it was a plain round barrel but I didn't pay much attention to how it was mounted - this was over 40 years ago when we were shooting that rifle.

It might have been a clamp-on mount for the front ring but I can't remember for sure.