RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    There is a philosophical saying about “a solution looking for a problem”. In a way, this is how some folks regard the 327 FM, but for me it seems like a fine chambering looking for an appropriate platform (ie gun). With the release of more Rugers this situation may be improved, but I still wish S&W would get on board with an appropriate K frame. The Single Seven may be their final answer in a SA, but if Ruger would give their Blackhawk another chance, it might sell well. I envision a dual cylinder 32 (a la the Buckeye Special) in 327 FM and 32-20 for the ultimate handgun in this caliber family. If they made it a triple cylinder version with a 30 Carbine cylinder as well, maybe my friend Outpost75 would want to come on board as well. That would be my Ultimate Single Action!
    Froggie
    Darn We Need a Like Button!!! Well Said Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the heads up, ohen. I ordered a 327 SP101 and it should be in my hands by next Tuesday! With tax and my dealers fee, It'll run me a shade less than $750.00 OTD Those of you with no sales tax, will make out, as there is free shipping from Bud's. I am ordering a spring kit from Mcarbo and shims from Shively in Michigan. I know my Ruger will need them.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-07-2024 at 12:44 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, ohen. I ordered a 327 SP101 and it should be in my hands by next Tuesday! With tax and my dealers fee, It'll run me a shade less than $750.00 OTD Those of you with no sales tax, will make out, as there is free shipping from Bud's. I am ordering a spring kit from Mcarbo and shims from Shively in Michigan. I know my Ruger will need them.
    Checked with my buddy the other night. He can get the SP101 for me out the door right at $700, but this is him giving it to me at cost... Still thinking about the Taurus though, as I think it'll serve my purpose a little better. That S&W in 32 H&R needs to be offered in 327 instead, that would be exactly what I am interested in.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Darn We Need a Like Button!!! Well Said Froggie

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!

We have a like button ... sorta , post : then goodpost then : and LIKE ...
    Tah - Dah... I has Liked Your Post !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For about 6 years I've been trying to get a 25 ACP to fly in an SA and a repeating rifle. It's never going to happen.
    I've decided to go to a 32 something . I really just wanted a direct reloadable replacement for 22 LR.

I'm big on cross utility and safety margins. My thoughts are this if it's a straight case there's a bigh probability that if you go with the longest mag chamber you can shoot all of the shorter straight wall cases that share case and bullet OD . After skimming the thread I don't see any mention of this context . 327 F ,32 H&R , 32 long ,32 short ,32 ACP . Maybe it won't work but a 9×25 rimmed worked well in in a Sec 6, BH and 38/357 1894C . So I figured I have a platform to stub or adapt that will handle the 327 and a rust ruined 20 ga barrel. Seems to me a 303 take off while more appropriate than the loooooong throated short side of 1-10" 06' take offs should be fine donors for a single shot .
    Finding a pistol then is just a matter of the timing , money , and price lining up .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    100% agree with Froggie on S&W needing a good K-frame revolver.... They wouldn't make it so I had Jack Huntington convert a 6" Model 53 to .327 using by reboring the barrrel and rechambering the .22 rimfire cylinder... To me it makes the perfect DA .327 for target shooting and hunting...

As to SAs, at least for me the SAA size guns are just too big... The FA 97 or Ruger S-7 are all as big as I want... Had one of the original stainless BHs in .32/.32-20 and just didn't balance...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    For about 6 years I've been trying to get a 25 ACP to fly in an SA and a repeating rifle. It's never going to happen.
    I've decided to go to a 32 something . I really just wanted a direct reloadable replacement for 22 LR.

I'm big on cross utility and safety margins. My thoughts are this if it's a straight case there's a bigh probability that if you go with the longest mag chamber you can shoot all of the shorter straight wall cases that share case and bullet OD . After skimming the thread I don't see any mention of this context . 327 F ,32 H&R , 32 long ,32 short ,32 ACP . Maybe it won't work but a 9×25 rimmed worked well in in a Sec 6, BH and 38/357 1894C . So I figured I have a platform to stub or adapt that will handle the 327 and a rust ruined 20 ga barrel. Seems to me a 303 take off while more appropriate than the loooooong throated short side of 1-10" 06' take offs should be fine donors for a single shot .
    Finding a pistol then is just a matter of the timing , money , and price lining up .
    It was mentioned before I think, if not, it should have been - and I was well aware of it. Mixed reviews of shooting 32 ACP in these guns though, I've heard it has a tendency to rupture primers, and is very inaccurate. I imagine 32 Short wouldn't fair much better.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    100% agree with Froggie on S&W needing a good K-frame revolver.... They wouldn't make it so I had Jack Huntington convert a 6" Model 53 to .327 using by reboring the barrrel and rechambering the .22 rimfire cylinder... To me it makes the perfect DA .327 for target shooting and hunting...

As to SAs, at least for me the SAA size guns are just too big... The FA 97 or Ruger S-7 are all as big as I want... Had one of the original stainless BHs in .32/.32-20 and just didn't balance...

Bob
    That is a nice looking revolver you got there. I'd be happy to have something like that for sure!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Like the title says, sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum.

I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like an impressive cartridge. The length of the 38spl, falls ballistically between 38spl and 357mag - but closer to 38spl, 6-shot capacity in j-frame size revolvers, light recoiling from what I understand....

But that is what the hype says. Who has one? What are your thoughts and experiences with it? Is it the current best pocket revolver caliber? Seems like if so, the revolver and semi-auto calibers of the future are the 327 Magnum and the 30 Super Carry. If companies would just start making more guns chambered in them that is...
    You can load them right up to 357mag specs..discounting heavy for load weighted projectiles. I love my 3" ruger Sp101 in 327. Can shoot 327 32 mag..32 long/short and usually acp depending on the extractor... gotta love that.. Small..easier to carry than a larger 357... I love mine.. PS..easy to reload for too..

Boolit Grand Master
    Herter66, you must not have read much of my stuff. I’ve repeatedly observed that the ability to handle multiple lengths of the 32 family was a selling point of the 327. In fact, I’ve fired all five out of a single cylinder both with the Smith and Ruger. I don’t know whether this would work in a repeater, but it certainly is a possibility in a single shot rifle.

RJM52, that is precisely the type of revolver Smith should build, both in blued steel and stainless. I had to graft parts from different guns for Project 616, while you were able to just alter what was already there. I like the idea of using a Model 53 length cylinder so longer bullets can be used. My rebored 617 cylinder is shorter so it limits the COAL that I can use in 327.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I had mixed luck with 32acp out of my 32 revolvers. Neat option but of limited use to me.

If you do get the Taurus look into this front sight when they come back in stock;
    https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model...rame-revolvers
    Great deal for a quality night sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are buying something to shoot, 32 acp is a marginal choice for any of the revolvers (at least any I've encountered) but it will work if need be. I've heard some folks have erratic (or no) ignition from (especially older) revolvers with loose chambers, but none of the 32s of my experience have had that problem. Actually now that I think of it, I haven't tried them that much in my older revolvers, just the newer tighter ones.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    .327 has been long touted as being able to shoot .32ACP, but.....why????? Are the other cartridge options somehow lacking??

Boolit Master
    Mobilemail, shooting 32 acp in a 32 cal revolver is an option but not a good idea. It’s like going to the grocery store driving your car in reverse. You can do it. It’s an option. But it’s not a good idea.

Why would someone shoot 32 acp in their 32 revolver? If for some really odd reason you only had 32 acp ammo and a 32 cal revolver and needed to shoot, that combination will fire and shoot a boolit out of the barrel.

But…..
    32 acp rims are nominally 0.045” thick.
    32 SWL, 32 H&R and 327 rims are 0.055” thick.
    That means if you fire 32 acp in a 32 cal revolver there is 0.010” excessive headspace. That could lead to battering of the recoil shield, recoil plate, hammer nose bushing, depending on what brand the revolver is, if done on a regular basis.

Much better idea is to stay out of really odd reasons and fire the proper ammunition in the gun.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Mobilemail, shooting 32 acp in a 32 cal revolver is an option but not a good idea. It’s like going to the grocery store driving your car in reverse. You can do it. It’s an option. But it’s not a good idea.

Why would someone shoot 32 acp in their 32 revolver? If for some really odd reason you only had 32 acp ammo and a 32 cal revolver and needed to shoot, that combination will fire and shoot a boolit out of the barrel.

But…..
    32 acp rims are nominally 0.045” thick.
    32 SWL, 32 H&R and 327 rims are 0.055” thick.
    That means if you fire 32 acp in a 32 cal revolver there is 0.010” excessive headspace. That could lead to battering of the recoil shield, recoil plate, hammer nose bushing, depending on what brand the revolver is, if done on a regular basis.

Much better idea is to stay out of really odd reasons and fire the proper ammunition in the gun.
    Good post. Just because something is possible does not make it a good idea.
    Don Verna

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Herter66, you must not have read much of my stuff. I’ve repeatedly observed that the ability to handle multiple lengths of the 32 family was a selling point of the 327. In fact, I’ve fired all five out of a single cylinder both with the Smith and Ruger. I don’t know whether this would work in a repeater, but it certainly is a possibility in a single shot rifle.

RJM52, that is precisely the type of revolver Smith should build, both in blued steel and stainless. I had to graft parts from different guns for Project 616, while you were able to just alter what was already there. I like the idea of using a Model 53 length cylinder so longer bullets can be used. My rebored 617 cylinder is shorter so it limits the COAL that I can use in 327.

Froggie
    Actually this has been a recent change in direction for me . The 25 ACP as a direct reloadable replacement for 22 LR was really where I wanted to go . Unfortunately without either a clear lottery check or setting up my own tooling to modify bolts , frame bushings, and do .251 groove cut rifling my choices were very limited and very expensive. Step up to 32 and viola' a pistol for less than having a barrel turned, relined , or rebored and a Savage take off I can cut the chamber off and thread for a stub in an otherwise toasted 20 ga NEF barrel . Of course the risk of getting to the range to find I took the 30-30 not the 32 barrel or vis versa is there , a small price though.

Probably at least initially because of my personal intentions I'd just leave it reamed for the ACP or short in the NEF rifle . Just buy the 32 Short reamer and an appropriate dia straight reamer 2nd or 4th hand and you good to go for all the straight 32s ...... , right ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Richard,

I went down a very similar path but with a Contender handgun instead of a rifle.

I have a 22 LR "equivalent" that is a rimmed version of a 32 ACP in a stub tube contender.

At one point during the Obama years I realized that with my cast bullets, I could reload cheaper than buy 22s. However, my lead source (wheel weights) suddenly dried up and I decided that I needed a 22 LR equivalent gun that could handle really small bullets.

My first solution was a SP-101 in 327 along with a custom NLG 55 gr bullet mold. It worked ok, but the case was "too big" to be real happy with my mouse fart loads. All of the free space made for big velocity swings depending on powder position.

My next solution was to stub tube a 7.5" 30 cal (from a scrap 30-30 pull) for my TC. I tried 32 S&W short but the cases were too small for me to reload without fumbling a lot.

I deepened the chamber to try some 32 ACP. The gun shot good, but my 32 ACP brass was not fun to load. The case size was much better than the 32 shorts, but the rims were very inconsistent in size from brand to brand and generally smaller than I liked. So I made up a batch of brass 32 ACP in length but with the same rim dimension as the 32 S&W Long. I refer to it as a 32 ACPR.

With reloaded primers, 1.7 gr TG and a 55 gr bullet I get a great 890 fps load for offhand practice shooting at 30 ft. Last time I figured my out of pocket cost for the materials, it was like $1.80 per hundred. My usage rate has been about 1000 rounds per year for this gun.

The above load is not suitable for much more than making holes in paper. I have loaded heavier bullets that seemed to shoot fine. These would be effective at longer ranges.

For a shotgun conversion, a precision insert may be worth considering. If you go this path, note that real world testing showed that anything over say 8" in a 32 ACP will not result in more velocity.
    http://ballisticsbytheinch.com).

Although I was happy with the performance of the above, my desire to reload in large batches combined with my aversion of purchasing brass led me to try another stub tube effort that will either supplant or replace the 32 ACPR, see https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...14#post5725814

Boolit Grand Master
    The advantage of being able to shoot 32 ACP is not like backing to the grocery store when you have a choice. It's like eating the pickled herring sandwich that is all you have to eat. The other cartridges are preferable, but not always readily available. And being able to shoot something, even if not ideal, is better than not shooting at all.

For what it's worth, all three of my Single Sevens have fired 32 ACP with no misfires, and barely acceptable accuracy. But if all I had was a Single Seven and a handful of 32 ACP, I'd at least pose a threat to a ne'r do well bent on doing me harm. My neighbor's Dad told me years ago that during WW II, his dad, a Bank Guard, had to use them in his 32 S&W revolver, because that was all he could find. I think of using 32 ACP in my 327's as being like driving on the doughnut spare: not ideal, but better than not driving at all.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-12-2024 at 11:03 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The advantage of being able to shoot 32 ACP is not like backing to the grocery store when you have a choice. It's like eating the pickled herring sandwich that is all you have to eat. The other cartridges are preferable, but not always readily available. And being able to shoot something, even if not ideal, is better than not shooting at all.

For what it's worth, all three of my Single Sevens have fired 32 ACP with no misfires, and barely acceptable accuracy. But if all I had was a Single Seven and a handful of 32 ACP, I'd at least pose a threat to a ne'r do well bent on doing me harm. My neighbor's Dad told me years ago that during WW II, his dad, a Bank Guard, had to use them in his 32 S&W revolver, because that was all he could find. I think of using 32 ACP in my 327's as being like driving on the doughnut spare: not ideal, but better than not driving at all.
    A pointy stick is better than no stick at all. 32s have the flexibility to keep your options open. I would never see that as a bad idea.

Single Seven and LCR 327 here.

In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, one thing I like is that for reloaders, the pistol bullets can be used for plinking / small game loads in 30ish caliber rifles like 7.62x39 and .303 British.

Boolit Master
    Yes, if you go light & fast you're going to get noise! Just no way around it but I can get some really fine accuracy out of the Blackhawk 30 Carbine, my single six, single seven, 8 shot blackhawk & my Buckeye. I've shown the antelope that I took with the 8 shot blackhawk using a 135 gr cast slug, it was fast & a bit on the loud side but every bit as effective as my 357's.
    This new S&W Ultimate Carry 32 mag is going to be ok once my son works over this terrible trigger, yikes! Shoot what you like & if you don't like loud, slow it down, there's no free lunch.
    Dick